Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it? (Page 12)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* I hardly see a contradiction.
Omega probably also has no problem with people feeling tempted to punch someone out on a stressful day. He probably does have a problem with someone actually going ahead and doing it.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weak, Mucus, damn weak. Are you personally affected by someone's sexual interaction with his/her partner? Is there violence directed against you when two people have sex? Because that's the equasion you're making here.
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just out of curiosity: what reasons would you have for disagreeing with something that 1) is really none of your fucking business and 2) doesn't impinge on your life in any way?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so while you don't have any problems with homosexual attraction (it being part of someone's genetic makeup and all), you just don't agree how they express their feelings?

what reasons would you have for disagreeing with something that 1) is really none of your fucking business and 2) doesn't impinge on your life in any way?

Sex outside of marriage can have exactly two possible effects. It can either a) form a bond between people that may eventually be broken, causing massive emotional harm; or b) it cheapens the concept so that the bond it is intended to strengthen can NEVER be formed. It either hurts the people involved or it destroys the gift. Both are Bad Things, whether it affects ME or not.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assumption A: Please point me at your source for determining that homosexual tendencies are in fact genetic. While I strongly suspect that it is in fact genetic, I don't believe it has been proven beyond a tentative link.

Assumption B: I don't believe that I've ever said that I'm against same-sex marriages. By the same token, I don't believe I've ever said that I'm for it either.

All I have said to my recent recollection, is that by most rational interpretations, you normally don't get punished ("much") for sinful thought by the major Christian religions. Its the sinful behaviour that really gets you in deep.

PS: I really doubt that you're spineless enough only ever disagree with things that directly affect you. So why don't I just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're simply a hypocrite that tosses out expletives to cover for a lack of real thought.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have said to my recent recollection, is that by most rational interpretations, you normally don't get punished ("much") for sinful thought by the major Christian religions. Its the sinful behaviour that really gets you in deep.

Mmm... it's not so much about acting right and not breaking the rules as it is about living life as it is intended to be lived. If your mind is changed to be like that of God, then you'll understand how life is meant to be, and your thoughts will follow.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Really?

Site an example where you'd be at odds with the christian God's direct spoken word (assuming you're jewish, christian or any of the refits, variants or kitbashes thereof).

Well, my argument would be based around the fact that "God's direct spoken word" has been rewritten, translated and "interpreted" so many times over the centuries that there's some doubt as to what it actually is. But, if we take the argument that, say, the Pope is suppossed to be the voice of God on Earth (if you are Catholic), then I could site a great deal many friends who were raised Catholic, who still believe in God, but who differ completely with the Church on homosexual relationships, contraceptives, and sex outside of marriages. And more that they probably aren't aware of.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

Omega: You know, you almost sound like your next words should either be "you think thats air you're breathing right now?" or "I'm telling you, that when you're ready you won't have to (dodge bullets)" [Wink]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he starts offering blue or red pills, I'm leaving.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If your mind is changed to be like that of God, then you'll understand how life is meant to be, and your thoughts will follow."

Sounds presumptuous and arrogant, trying to accomplish such a feat.
But if you pull it off, let me know.
I want to know the meaning and purpose of earlobes, and no man of woman born has yet delivered.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
Member # 256

"Sex outside of marriage can have exactly two possible effects. It can either a) form a bond between people that may eventually be broken, causing massive emotional harm; or b) it cheapens the concept so that the bond it is intended to strengthen can NEVER be formed. It either hurts the people involved or it destroys the gift. Both are Bad Things, whether it affects ME or not."

Okay, I can sort of see where you're coming from. Why then are you opposed to legalizing homosexual marriages? You think they don't WANT to marry as much as any heterosexual couple?

"PS: I really doubt that you're spineless enough only ever disagree with things that directly affect you. So why don't I just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're simply a hypocrite that tosses out expletives to cover for a lack of real thought."

No, of course not. World hunger affects me. Pollution affects me. Wars affect me. Animal abuse affects me. Human rights violations affect me. A lot of stuff affects me. But homosexuality does not, so why would I disagree with it?

[ September 30, 2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Play nice children...

Once again, I'd like to remind you of the long view.

200 years from now (sooner if I'm lucky) - the person who shows any bigotry or bias about homosexuality will be looked upon as we would look now upon someone who is bigoted against left-handed people. You know, those with the hand of the devil.

At this point in history, were one so stupid, we'd look at him and ask: "
1- what possible business is it of yours?
2- What makes you think the left-handed can help it?
3- How did you ever notice in the first place?
4- Just which cock-eyed religion told you this?

So, since Trekkers are supposed to be more intelligent and futurists (supposition on my part - with certain exceptions allowed to religious fanatics) - why not just adopt the proper attitude now? If someone in Gallileo's time had spoken out against bigotry aimed at left-handed persons, today we'd be holding him up as an example of intelligence and forward-thinking in an otherwise barbaric age.

In any way I can, I try to display this type of forward-thinking now. Not only does it allow me great personal satisfaction in knowing I'm being as ethical as possible - it lets me poke fun at the feeble-minded.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because all bigotry from 1803 is surely distant memory.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all that distant - some of our members still represent a few of the organized bigotries - I mean religions.

But just as tech development has accelerated - so I hope cultural and ethical development will - and attitudes such as Omega's will go the way of the T Rex.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega's going to crash a Mini Cooper into a tree?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps