Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis at the box-office (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Nemesis at the box-office
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. He wouldn't stand a chance against the Dark Lord's army of Orcs.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could just plough through them in the Batmobile...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Maybe. Although I'd tend to think that LOTR would beat Batman in a straightforward fight for seats.

Well, not if you adjust for inflation...

Check out his table, and notice that when adjusted for inflation the first two LOTR films ranked 48th and 59th, while Batman is at 44. So, TFF was up against a film of greater box office calibur and it still did better than Nemesis.

As always, no Star Trek is even on the top list...adjusted or unadjusted.

But it IS interesting to note that Leonard Nimoy's Three Men and a baby is there at 110... just a few million dollars shy of Toy Story.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're talking about 15 years ago. Batman was a phenomenon at the time, a hit film backed with massive merchandising profits. Now we're all blas� about such things. We know long in advance when films are coming out, and get to see a lot more about it beforehand as well, all thanks to the internet. I didn't even know there was a new Batman film coming out until Prince's theme song went into the charts. It was like that in those days. I remember not even knowing much about Independence Day until it was released in the States and had a massive July 4th opening weekend, and that was in 1996. Perhaps that's how most people go to the cinema, NOT having read all about it on the Web beforehand. But ever since the bootlegged trailer for Phantom Menace was released on the net, note how many trailers get released on the web often even before they're in cinemas? We're going to see more and more films having advance word-of-mouth established over the 'net before they hit the screens. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't think inflation is the only thing you should adjust for when you analyze the relative success of movies that are spaced two decades apart. The internet As We Know It is too big a medium now to cite just the proceeds and then draw all your conclusions from them, anyway.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An opinion was stated that TFF faced as strong box office competions as Nemesis. I found data that indicates otherwise. Maybe everyone here doesn't remember, but when Batman came out it was HUGE. Massive marketing campaign. Bat logos everywhere. Even the media was commenting on how heavily hyped the film was. It was at least a media event on the scale of The Two Towers, if not more.

Furthermore, Batman wasn't the only blockbuster in theaters in the summer of 1989. TFF opened sandwiched between Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Batman, and I believe even Honey I Shrunk the Kids opened around the same time as Batman. That being the case, one could argue that TFF was up against far tougher competition than Nemesis, and still made more money.

As to the whole Internet effect on box-office, I'd like a more concise argument as to how much effect it might have and why. I'd wager that the majority of the movegoing public isn't going to the web for information about films. They're still seeing trailers in theaters and commercials on TV as the main hype for films. In fact, I'd argue it's hardcore fanboys who get pirate scripts and Ain't It Cool news reports, not the bulk of the population.

That said, it's possible and likely that said types represent more of the average audience for Star Trek films that for many others. But I still don't think that represents the bulk of the potential audience.

I'd say it's fair to assume the following factors causes Nemesis to tank:
a) Star Trek's been overdone
b) It was a weak film and word of mouth slowed the returns
c) Box office competition
d) Bad advertising campaign that turned off many in the Trek audience and didn't attact the broader audience the film was clearly targeted to reach

c being a factor, but not the sole factor.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
e) Nemesis followed a (somewhat) lackluster Trek film while TFF followed one of the better ones.

Expectations were higher for TFF prahaps?

Not that TFF was a better film by any stretch. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I had read previous to the release of "Nemesis" was that they had created a villain and a situation that threatened the entire Federation/universe. What came out was, again, Hellraiser/Tim Burton/Trek. Despite all the supposed "Threat" the Scimitar held, it was taken down by a single starship. So, the Feds had a "Fleet" waiting. Big Deal. And with a galaxy wide war weighing in the balance the Roms send TWO BB's to "Help"? I think that the general Trek audience that saw it first gave it the "Ehhhh" review and didn't go back for the second viewing of the Corpse.

How many people saw the other films two or three times? That counts on the boxoffice tally. Nem just didn't have the ummph to pull people back again.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAIN SCREEN TURN OFF!!
Cartman
Member # 256

"Nemesis followed a (somewhat) lackluster Trek film while TFF followed one of the better ones."

Not only that, but it hit the theatres in Trek's heyday, hot on the heels of the Big Three and just as TNG was really taking off, so while TFF may have done comparatively better than Nemesis (heavy competition or not), its revenues alone are still not an accurate measure of its success.

[ January 10, 2004, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else find it suspicious that the plot of Nemesis was floating around as the supposed plot for Trek 9?

I remember reading on Trekweb's Insurrection page when it was first put up that there were rumours of a 1. Romulan movie and 2. A Clone of Picard was involved.

Why didn't they ever do a Q movie? I remember when Generations came out that the next movie (8) was always going to be a Borg movie and that that would be followed by a Q movie.

I liked the comments brought up here when "Q2" came out that they should do a Q movie... and that he should go back to his more nasty, sadistic nature that he displayed in the earlier seasons of TNG - rather than the comical Q that we got in Voyager.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the numbers Star Trek sucks ass and you should stop liking it even if you are a long-time fan.

Gimme a break, why do we care about the amount of freaking money it made?!

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go see Tim Burton's Star Trek if he made it right after Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:

Gimme a break, why do we care about the amount of freaking money it made?!

My heart agrees completely, but I also know taht poor sales equals less or no Trek or Trek on a greatly reduced budget.
Another film with sales as poor as Nemesis and we'll be reduced to a Gorn throwing a styrofoam rock at Picard. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Another film with sales as poor as Nemesis and we'll be reduced to a Gorn throwing a styrofoam rock at Picard. [Wink]

Maybe that's just what Trek needs. A buff starship captain throwing flimsy props are inflexible customs is what endeared many fans to it in the first place. I say we return to those roots to rebuild the fan base and make it endearing again.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps