Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis at the box-office (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Nemesis at the box-office
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure! Mabye Kevin Sorbo will be available...

Besides, we Flarites would loooove to see an enemy starship represented as a spinning ball of light streaking by the viewscreen again.
That'd go over real well.
Imagine the descriptions in the Starship threads.
"This week we get to see a whole new spinning ball of light: green! It must be a Romulan ship..."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I hate to agree with Jason, er, I do sorta agree with him:

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
A buff starship captain throwing flimsy props are inflexible customs is what endeared many fans to it in the first place. I say we return to those roots to rebuild the fan base and make it endearing again.

Actually, a series that wrote interesting and thought provoking episodes that challanged several viewpoints of the day while still containing a hearty dose of action and adventure is what attracted many fans to it in the first place.

OR

Actually, a balding European captain who worked his way out of every situation with inspiring speeches while his android officer did something amusing is what attracted many people to the franchise in the first place.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I have to include a smiley in my posts for y'all to understand when I'm making a funny? 'Cause having to add them would reduce my posting efficiency to 84.7%.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...I also know taht poor sales equals less or no Trek or Trek on a greatly reduced budget.
Another film with sales as poor as Nemesis and we'll be reduced to a Gorn throwing a styrofoam rock at Picard. [Wink]

I'd pay to see that! [Smile]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did think it was a joke. But it's also not far off an actual point that someone would make. Not quite in those terms, but more like:

"Well, a low budget series with cheesy special effects managed to endear fans to it. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to return to that."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no not a series - just picard and a gorn and a styrofoam rock! [Smile]
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard would proceed to go on and on about something or other and the Gorn would commit suicide-by-styrofoam-rock. It would suck and make no money.

And while there's a certain charm to suggestions about going back to bad effects, you can't be serious. Part of the bitch-fests about ST5 is that the effects sucked as much as TOS effects. (Having acquired the DVD for some unknown reason and thus pulled my usual frame-by-frame activity on it, I can vouch for this.)

I think a lot of the fault of Nemesis was the marketing. Watching the Star Trek V commercials, you'll note that they don't really show you anything of import. Nemesis ads, meanwhile, made the film superfluous . . . you pretty much got the whole tale, and even the better effects moments.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gorn would stuff that mictophone sized communicator into Picard's gob just to get a little quiet.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
"Well, a low budget series with cheesy special effects managed to endear fans to it. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to return to that."

Now now, don't be so dismissive. It worked for Babylon 5, so just think of the wonders it could do for Trek. B)

*ducks*

[ January 12, 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I would go see Tim Burton's Star Trek if he made it right after Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

That would be the one where they travel to Betelgeuse.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Burton on Trek.....hmmm....mabye with a nice Wynona Ryder yeoman....

mmmmmm....Wynona.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UGH.... The sure sign that a show is a bomb....

WIENIE RIDER

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Nemesis has reached a new low. [Frown]

Walmart just marked the DVD down from like $19.99US to under $10US...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon they'll be packaged with your complimentary AOL disk.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I have to check a Walmart in Germany... ;-)

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps