Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Animated Series: why non-canon? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Animated Series: why non-canon?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant agree (at least not when dealing with anything bigger than 10-20% above the original).
The larger a human is the more strain there is on the person's organs (see refrences to guys like Andre the Giant).
Making a really large (like 20 foot tall)version of someone would require some serious modifications to both skeletal and organ structures (including the brain and lungs wich would need to be able to refine far more oxygen than at their normal size.).

By TOS's era, it's not unthinkable that there could be temporary brain removal to repair/ regenerate damaged tissue without having to enter the shull from several angles.
So a really advanced race could rip-odd Spock's brain.

But it's still a stupid story, really.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, brain transplants have already been performed with Rhesus Monkeys as far back as the 70's and the monkey's brain survived in a new body for 8 days and was responsive to stimuli. It followed the scientists around the room with it's eyes for instance.

Head transplants onto other bodies have been done with numerous animals and many of those survived with two fully active brains / heads. They've also transplanted a head onto another headless monkey and had it survive.

Brain and head transplants with Humans aren't as far out a concept as you would think. In many ways the arguements against are more ethical then technological.

I think TAS has enough useful elements in it that it should be given semi-canon status, ie. you can pick and choose what you want to accept from it and what to reject completely. Pink K'zinti costumes come to mind as something to reject.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad we can't give any of these poor animals any control whatsoever over the bodies they've been attached to. Now that would be awesome.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far they have been unsuccessful in getting the body to be controlled by the brain. If they performed it on a Human basically they would be quadrapalegics and would need respirators to live. This is mainly because of difficulties reconnecting the spinal cord rather then reconnecting the vascular system.

Here's an article that discusses many of the details about brain and head transplants.

http://medserv.no/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=51

There's also been implanting of brain cells from quails into chicken embryos that result in chickens that behave like quails. Pretty bizarre stuff but it has a lot of potential for treating brain disorders when they are able to do this in Humans.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Too bad we can't give any of these poor animals any control whatsoever over the bodies they've been attached to. Now that would be awesome.

It would be way cooler if WE could control the headless monkey's body via remote control!

It'd put Playstation right out of business! [Smile]

...then we could mount a circular saw onto a racoon's torso.....ohhhhh...that'd be sooo much fun.
Way better than just watching the animal run around headless untill it expires.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shutting people up via remote control, now THAT would be REALLY cool.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

They make such devices in a number of calibers....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but that requires line-of-sight.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Also, in contrast to the giant cloned Spock...lets not forget the 6-inch runabout flying within the bowels of the Defiant, much less the crew romping around various "enlarged parts" all Honey, I Shrunk the Kids-style!?!?

There was, at least, some notion paid to science in that episode. The crew couldn't leave the runabout without suffocating, for instance.

True, it was silly. But it was suppossed to be silly. Whereas lots of TAS episodes are silly while attempting to be deadly serious.

quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
I think TAS has enough useful elements in it that it should be given semi-canon status, ie. you can pick and choose what you want to accept from it and what to reject completely.

Not to go into this again, but it doesn't actually matter whether you think it should be canon, semi-canon, or sorta-maybe-a-bit-canon-if-we-ignore-anything-that-Walter-Koenig-wrote. It is officially non-canon according to Paramount. Therefore, it is (duh) non canon. Writers may throw in bits from those episodes, as they might throw in bits from the novels. Doesn't make them canon. It makes the bits mentioned canon.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
I think TAS has enough useful elements in it that it should be given semi-canon status, ie. you can pick and choose what you want to accept from it and what to reject completely.

Not to go into this again, but it doesn't actually matter whether you think it should be canon, semi-canon, or sorta-maybe-a-bit-canon-if-we-ignore-anything-that-Walter-Koenig-wrote. It is officially non-canon according to Paramount. Therefore, it is (duh) non canon. Writers may throw in bits from those episodes, as they might throw in bits from the novels. Doesn't make them canon. It makes the bits mentioned canon.
Except in cases where it was referred to in that latter series....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is what he was referring to...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manticore gets the "actually read the post" prize!

Whereas Futurama Guy gets not only the "silly fool who hasn't read the post" booby prize, but the "pointlessly quoting the post directly above in it's entirety when you are just replying to the last line of said post" prize of extreme stupidity.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose we could think of it as actual events during the five year mission as told to a small child with bits of silliness thrown in. They technically happened... it's just that Scotty was drunk off his butt when he told his grandkids the stories.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ot it's Scotty's recollection just after slamming his head into an obvious, low hanging pipe in his own ship.
he damage to his brain was so severe that McCoy had to place the hangar deck from a model Klingon battlecruiser onto his forehead to heal him.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

quote:

Not to go into this again, but it doesn't actually matter whether you think it should be canon, semi-canon, or sorta-maybe-a-bit-canon-if-we-ignore-anything-that-Walter-Koenig-wrote. It is officially non-canon according to Paramount. Therefore, it is (duh) non canon. Writers may throw in bits from those episodes, as they might throw in bits from the novels. Doesn't make them canon. It makes the bits mentioned canon. [/QB]
I'm well aware of the non-canon status of TAS at Paramount. I was offering my opinion. Or are those not allowed either?

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps