Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Animated Series: why non-canon? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Animated Series: why non-canon?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Am I the only Flarite that now considers the whole "canon" debate a Mobius Strip?

If we can just send a message to ourselves in the next loop, we could break free and some long-lost Flarite would pop up after being trapped in a circular conversation for years....

333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
There have been references in Trek to [snip] Back To The Future ("Flux Capacitor" mentioned, gravestone showing McFly).

Okay, I know of the Star Wars and Buckaroo Banzai references, but I'm unfamiliar with these. Someone care to enlighten me?

B.J.

I can't remember what episode "Flux Capacitor" was mentioned in, but the McFly tombstone shows up in Sub Rosa.

quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Paramount can never alter the conditions of what is and is not canon? I seem to remember a couple of Jeri Taylor novels ("Pathways" and "Mosaic") that were considered canon (at least until they were partially contradicted by later Voyager episodes).

Y'know, I'm not convinced that they did change their mind. I don't think that "Pathways" and "Mosaic" were ever given proper "canon" status. It was more a case of Jeri Taylor saying "I think this is Janeway's backstory. I am executive producer. I will make it so that no episodes contradict these, and I will drop in bits from these novels in episodes. I rule". And in the same way, when she left Paramount didn't officially declare them "non canon". Rather, the person who was making sure that they were adhered to left, and no-one else cared about following them.

And, personally, I can't see Paramount changing it's mind on TAS, because there is no reason for it to do so. Making TAS canon will not make them money. It will not affect anything. And I don't think they care. The modern definition of "canon" was pretty much created with the first chronology, and it's stayed the same ever since. Why would they change it now, just because some people though that Arex actually had a personality?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

Jason, have you actually watched most of it, or is "The Infinite Vulcan" all you've seen? What about "Beyond The Farthest Star," "Yesteryear," "The Survivor," "The Ambergris Element," "The Time Trap," "The Jihad," "Bem," "Albatross"...?
-MMoM [Big Grin]

Truthfully, it seems as if TAS was made in the "campiness era" of not offending anyone via comics or cartoons.
I've only seen about half of the episode with the giant Spock (because it really wasnt worth watching the whole thing and the episode with the Kzin (another terrible episode, frankly).

I wouldnt mind watching "Yesteryear" or "Beyond the Farthest star" (because the ship design is cool) but as far as making the whole series canon, I'd say it's not worthwhile:
There's enough to try to ignore in TOS and Voyager already.
After readinf the episode reviews at EAS, the series as a whole doesnt seem worth buying and no one airs it (kinda strange in itself).

The tech bits (like O'Brien mentioning an unmanned cargo ship) that are mentioned onscreen can be safely considered canon (as they dont require the inclusion of the actual stories of TAS)

I'm a big fan of non-human crewmembers but a talking cat is hardly creative.
The orange male crewman with the extra appendeges was cool though....and not too disimilar to the Species 8472 design.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I can't remember what episode "Flux Capacitor" was mentioned in, but the McFly tombstone shows up in Sub Rosa.

And now I know why I didn't remember that one. Ugh. [Roll Eyes]

B.J.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

If we can just send a message to ourselves in the next loop, we could break free and some long-lost Flarite would pop up after being trapped in a circular conversation for years....

Didn't this already happen and that's why Baloo is back??

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flux Capacitor is mentioned in What You Leave Behind. Another quick note-Yeshua ben Joseph, or Yeshua bar Joseph, was not a rabbi. He was a teacher. The association we apply to Rabbi in the Jewish faith arose after the fall of Jerusalem in ~70 CE, and would be alien to the Christian Messiah.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it being mentioned... but what was the context? I can hear it in my head, but I can't remember what they were talking about. IIRC, Data is the one who said it...

And I'm pretty sure Rabbi means "teacher".

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Master, actually. The original Hebrew word does, anyway.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - we have hebrew lessons here and Latin in D, A, & C. We've went and gone upscale!

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

Wow - we have hebrew lessons here and Latin in D, A, & C. We've went and gone upscale!

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prelude to a double-post....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I remember it being mentioned... but what was the context? I can hear it in my head, but I can't remember what they were talking about. IIRC, Data is the one who said it...

And I'm pretty sure Rabbi means "teacher".

O'Brien said it in "What You Leave Behind" like newark said.

As follows
quote:

O'BRIEN
I've been offered a position at Starfleet Academy. Professor of Engineering.

BASHIR (taken aback)
I see.

O'BRIEN
Somebody has to teach you officers the difference between a warp matrix flux capacitor and a self-sealing stembolt.

BASHIR
I suppose so...

Also, rabbi is Hebrew for "my master". But the term means both "master" and "teacher".

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus Fuck.
Here we find ourselves yet again...back in biblical refrence debate.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I return to find 4 pages of posts. Definitely some interesting reading here�

I am curious, however: do any events in TAS (as ridiculous as they may or may not be) conflict with the continuity of events in other Trek?

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, some of it does. TAS declares the rather TOS-era looking USS Bonaventure the first warp powered starship which is contradicted by both TOS and "First Contact" then later Captain Robert April's (first Captain of the Enterprise) wife Sarah April says she was the first doctor on a warp powered starship which not only contradicts the Bonaventure reference - because she would have been dead if she served on that ship - but also implies the NCC-1701 to be the first starship equipped with warp drive which we know to be untrue from TOS, "First Contact", Enterprise, and numerous other sources.

So, it does have it's share of mistakes, but no more then TOS or any of the other series do.

quote:
Originally Posted By Jason Abaddon

I'm a big fan of non-human crewmembers but a talking cat is hardly creative.
The orange male crewman with the extra appendeges was cool though....and not too disimilar to the Species 8472 design.

No, the talking cat isn't great but Lt. Arex, the "orange guy" you refer to, was pretty cool. I swear they based E.T.'s face off of him.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps