Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Animated Series: why non-canon? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Animated Series: why non-canon?
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Paramount can never alter the conditions of what is and is not canon? I seem to remember a couple of Jeri Taylor novels ("Pathways" and "Mosaic") that were considered canon (at least until they were partially contradicted by later Voyager episodes).

Y'know, I'm not convinced that they did change their mind. I don't think that "Pathways" and "Mosaic" were ever given proper "canon" status. It was more a case of Jeri Taylor saying "I think this is Janeway's backstory. I am executive producer. I will make it so that no episodes contradict these, and I will drop in bits from these novels in episodes. I rule". And in the same way, when she left Paramount didn't officially declare them "non canon". Rather, the person who was making sure that they were adhered to left, and no-one else cared about following them.[/QB]
I already said Paramount or the Executive Producer are the final word on what is canon. So if the Executive Producer of a future Trek show wants to declare parts of TAS canon they can do so.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know...a casual search on Flare found 178 matches for "canon" in the Trek threads.

Done
to
death.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was the premise of the topic so I don't see how you could discuss it without mentioning the "C" word. [Razz]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Yes, some of it does. TAS declares the rather TOS-era looking USS Bonaventure the first warp powered starship which is contradicted by both TOS and "First Contact" then later Captain Robert April's (first Captain of the Enterprise) wife Sarah April says she was the first doctor on a warp powered starship which not only contradicts the Bonaventure reference - because she would have been dead if she served on that ship - but also implies the NCC-1701 to be the first starship equipped with warp drive which we know to be untrue from TOS, "First Contact", Enterprise, and numerous other sources.

None of those is irreconcilable. One would have to think creatively, but this is not untrue of any other inconsistency in any of the other series.

In "The Time Trap," Scotty could have meant the first STARFLEET vessel equipped with warp drive. Actually, Curt Danhauser did some analysis of the dialogue and the determined age of the Bonaventure works out as being pretty consistent with what ENT has established about the age of Starfleet. Annotations from my own shiplist:
There are several curiosities surrounding this vessel. In the episode, Scotty said �Look Captain, there�s the old Bonaventure! She was the first ship to have warp drive installed....� This would seem to contradict what has since been established about early space travel and the history of Earth spacecraft. There are several possible rationalizations, however, which might serve to remedy this discrepancy. For instance, Scotty could have been referring to the first Starfleet vessel to have warp drive installed.

If the
Bonaventure was the first Starfleet vessel to be fitted with warp drive, this suggests a launch date sometime in the late 2130s, when Starfleet was supposedly founded. This is consistent with another line from the episode, where Spock says �The crew�s descendents may still be living....� Assuming �descendents� refers to at least grandchildren, (rather than immediate offspring) and taking into account the approximate probable lifespan of crewmembers, (likely no more than 90 or so years) it seems that the Bonaventure could have been lost not much later than 2150, and possibly earlier. Therefore a launch date in the 2130s is quite reasonable, especially allowing for the ship to be in service for at least some time prior to its loss.

In regards to Dr. April's line in "The Counter-Clock Incident," she said "As the first medical officer aboard a ship equipped with warp drive, I'm afraid I had to come up with new ideas all the time." Now, isn't it possible she was using First Medical Officer as her title, rather than
saying she was the doctor aboard the first ship with warp? This has been suggested before, works for me.

There is another conflict that is often mentioned, that in "The Magicks of Megas-Tu," the Enterprise supposedly visits the center of the galaxy, which would be inconsistent with Star Trek V. However, upon watching this episode, I find this one quite easy to debunk, requiring perhaps even less mental exercise than the above.

They are approaching the center of the galaxy when a "matter-energy whirlwind" siezes the ship and blows it off course. (This itself could be a manifestation of the Great Barrier mentioned in TFF.) When they recover, Spock says that "...navigational coordinates mean very little here...my readings indicate that we are not in time and space as we understand it." The subspace radio and ship's chronometer become nonfunctional, and Spock further tells that "the natural laws of our universe don't operate here." In short, they are in some parallel dimension or universe. (An occurrence that happened often enough in TOS and elsewhere.) Thus, it is apparent that they are NOT in fact at the center of our galaxy. And that is simply based on the dialogue of the episode, even without any further speculation.

Needless to say, this speaks nothing as to the innate silliness of even being able to reach the center of the galaxy in any reasonable span of time with warp drive alone, but that of course is equally problematic in TFF...

Ok. Any other conflicts in need of resolving?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rationalizaions over cartoon dialogue.

I'm going to bed.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rationalizations over TREK dialogue. Most definitely not an unknown occurrence on this board. [Razz]

I really have a problem with this attitude which holds that because it's a cartoon, this inherently means that less thought was put into it than the live action series. It was mostly the same people working on it, and just like TOS it had its ups and downs. Overall, it's still decent Trek.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally just like to ignore the Bonaventure and Sarah April lines.

Another rationalization of "Megas-Tu" I heard of was that the entire story could've been a collective hallucination. It certainly was a strange story.

The "200 years ago" concerning the Kzinti wars from "The Slaver Weapon" also need some clarification. First, we should assume Sulu made a very generous guess, and that the term "war" is slightly overrated. Like suggested before by Timo et al., the four wars were more likely to be four attack waves. And preferably attack waves by big old clumsy low-warp vessels, supported by fast but completely ineffective sublight fighters.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, generally speaking, "ignoring" things isn't a viable option if you're trying to look at the Trek universe as "real." (Meaning at least marginally sensical and internally consistent.)

But yeah.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(To jump onto the otherside of the argument) Trek fans ignore live action stuff all the time. Riker calling O'Brien "lieutenant", Riker saying the Yamato's registry number incorrectly, the fact that the Borg were in Federation space before "Q Who", the fact that McCoy says that the Vulcans were "conquered", Trelane saying that TOS is actually set in the 27th century, Data's use on contractions in several season 1 episodes, Kirk's Enterprise being under the control of UESPA in season 1, "James R. Kirk", the fact that Ensign Galloway is seen in an episode of TOS after he's been killed, the whole of "The Last Outpost" (personally), "Faster than Light, no left or right", and so on.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

All too true. [Smile]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ensign Galloway is seen in an episode of TOS after he's been killed
Huh? I thought David Ross' character in "Day of the Dove" had a different name. Or are you referring to another episode?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going off both the Nitpicker Guide and the Encyclopedia. To be honest, I don't even recall what episode he died in. I do believe that Galloway was in Turnabout: Intruder though, and that if he did die, it'd have had to have been in an episode prior to that one.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that what this boils down to is that, for any number of reasons, Star Trek the TV show is a cultural icon and Star Trek the cartoon is an historical curiosity. Few people talk about it because few people have seen it, and few people have seen it because it's a cultural artifact of limited appeal within a cultural artifact that itself occupies a (admittedly sizable) cultural niche.

Cultural!

Somebody should write a FAQ or something.

Anyway, "what everybody agrees really happened" in Star Trek (avoiding the increasingly silly and annoying (at least personally) "canon") is ultimately dependant on the people who've seen it, including those making it, and therefore is of course dependant on what they've seen. Had Paramount gone with Phase II, for instance, and for some reason garnered less of an audience than a televised Senate quorum, leading them to forget all about it when they tried again, I suspect we'd be having the same argument. So, in other words, it isn't an issue of quality (or at least, not directly an issue of quality), but availability, and availability during a certain crucial period. You can't just inject something into a subculture ex post facto and have it garner the kind of credibility it may have developed otherwise.

Fandoms are all kinds of weird.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But only as weird as the cultures they are part of. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps