Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » i get it! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: i get it!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sybok too, and he was fully Vulcan.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh but everything in TFF is a shared dream between Kirk, Spock and McCoy while asleep at their camp-site. That's where you see them at the end - and the whole 'life is but a dream' motif throughout the movie. It works! [Smile] Probably some weird Vulcan telepath thing brought about by McCoy's Bourbon and Beans!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm -- deck 54 explained

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the best thing I've heard all week, Andrew.

Ps@i:
quote:
DS9 too. Although less "evil", and more "smug self-rightious bastards".
What, you mean that baseball game? I'm sure that was just that one captain, and his crew found it logical to win the game.
The captain probably had a lot of romulans on his family tree.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall over instances, but blow me if I can remember any of them, Jeaves.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The psycho crazy Vulcan who went around blowing people on the station away with his super-duper transporter gun was fairly e-vil. Granted, he was a little mental... but that's no excuse.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Offhand, I can't think of any occasion of Vulcans being done well since Dr. Selar, or Mark Lenard's TNG appearances. Doing Vulcans right must be pretty hard.

I can't comment on Tuvok, not having seen much of Voyager. But I can't think offhand of any good portrayals of Vulcans on DS9. The "Take Me Out To The Holosuite" Vulcans were awful, although the rest of the episode was very enjoyable.

Marian

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to startrek.com, mirror-Soval will have one, too.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah... the Vulcans from the "TMOTTHS" moved and sat like androids. Hell... the very idea of them playing baseball at all was dumb. Tuvok never did anything but sit and read. Janeway occasionally ordered to him to a social function of some kind.

Tuvok was, in my opinion, a solid depiction of a Vulcan. Rigid, yet loyal and honorable. He was convinced that his way was usually the best way. But he had the occasional endearing quality too. Like being a badass martial artist.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
WAHT TEH FUKC!!?!

Im confused, mirror tuvokd didnt have GOATEE, but mirror spcok did!?!! someting not rite here!

In this episode, Tuvok was in one of the Doctor's holodeck fantasies, not in the mirror universe. I don't even think he was Vulcan in the Holodeck, but I thought it was a nice homage to 'Evil' Spock. You know, Eviel. Like the fruiets of the deviel.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, Tuvok's character was always handled extremely well by Tim Russ (probably Voyager's best actor IMHO).

Vulcans do indeed grow facial hair (Tuvok having to shave and all in Year of Hell) but it's likely not fashionable...or just deemed a illogical indulgence.

Not that we see any Romulans with facial hair either (Sela notwithstanding).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Yah... the Vulcans from the "TMOTTHS" moved and sat like androids. Hell... the very idea of them playing baseball at all was dumb.

Tuvok obviously had to exercise regularly as well. And wasn't point in TMOTTHS that the Vulcans (or at least, their Captain) weren't doing it as a social exercise. Rather, it was an attempt to one-up Sisko.

And calling the episode silly seems, to me, to be missing the point somewhat.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Yah... the Vulcans from the "TMOTTHS" moved and sat like androids. Hell... the very idea of them playing baseball at all was dumb.

Tuvok was, in my opinion, a solid depiction of a Vulcan. Rigid, yet loyal and honorable. He was convinced that his way was usually the best way. But he had the occasional endearing quality too. Like being a badass martial artist.

I agree the Vulcans in TMOTTH RUINED the episode for me.

Tim Russ did his homework and did the best Vulcan since Spock and Sarek. He had a lot of his mannerisms down-pat.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ did more than just imitate the others though: you could always tell when Neelix was getting on his nerves.

When he tells Neelix "Prahaps you should take a bath before meeting with the captain." you know he mentally added "you stinking disgusting scumbag". [Big Grin]

[ February 10, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Heheheh yes, indeed it was more than just imitation - he had created a solid foundation of 'Vulcanism' set up by Nimoy and did a good job. Jolene Blalock also (mostly) does a good Vulcan too - pity so many find it fun to diss her acting - which is not too shabby. I mean look at other Vulcans. Robin Curtis was just freaky and Kirsty Alley was craptacular. Kim Catrall was O.K. played Valeris a bit like a smart-arse school girl. Most of the Vulcans in DS9 were crap as well. Even that Maquis Vulcan chick that used Quark. Robin Curtis again as Tarella I think it ended up she was supposed to be Vulcan - not that great again. As mentioned the Vulcan crew in TMOTTH was just wrong. Selar was O.K. if a little TOO extreme as a Vulcan - Susie Plackson was WAY better as Key'lar. Of course Sarek was perfect as Spock's father. Soval has been well played by Gary Graham. Sybok was just crud. Vorik was so-so - why didn't they just name him the same character as the Vulcan that he was on TNG's "Lower Decks"?

Best would be Spock -> Sarek -> Tuvok -> T'Pol

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps