Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » i get it! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: i get it!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People don't like Kirstie Alley in Wrath of Khan? The world grows a little colder each day.

I'd also express some curiosity over the definition of "freaky" in this context, but I think I'll leave it alone.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never liked Kirstie Alley, and it's not just because of her "religious" convictions, she's just too flakey and hysterical for my taste.

Her portrayal of a Vulcan was indifferent and nonchalant, "Hey, I lost my whole command, crew and ship to the Kobayashi Maru and I don't know what went wrong, pssh." Or "We should assume the ship is hostile if it doesn't answer. Oh look, we're being attacked and people are dying everywhere, whatever."

Just because your race is trained not to be affected by emotion doesn't mean that you shouldn't acknowledge the gravity of a situation or show confidence and commitment. Those are important leadership skills and the crew needs to see them.

I thought J.G Hertzler played a better Vulcan in the one minute of "Emissary" he was in than Alley did.

I also think Mark Lenard's Sarek felt more multi-layered and deep than Spock, at least in "Voyage Home".
There were so many subtle meanings and unspoken words in his short "Yes of course."-response to Spock, it's my favorite part of the movie.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What religious convictions are those? Eat or be eaten? I actually always had a thing for Alley back when she was on Cheers. Her Vulcan portrayal was a little cold, but that could be chalked up to her being young at the time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her Vulcan portrayal was a whole lot better than Robin Curtis as Savvik.

Then Curtis showed back up as a Romulan spy. She was OK in that.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that in the TWOK script Saavik was half-Romulan. It was supposed to be part of the character that her attempts at self-control were a little off.

I think of the two Alley did better acting the character, but Robin Curtis looked Vulcan, where Alley looked like a human with plastic ears. It's one of the pitfalls of trying to portray Vulcans; many people, no matter how good they are at acting, just don't have the right looks. Sarek's two aides in TNG "Sarek" are a perfect example. One of them looked like a Vulcan, and one of them could act. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same one...

I'd forgotton about the Vulcan ensign in TNG "Lower decks" though. He was good.

Marian

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think that, of all the Vulcans, Tim Russ gave the best performance. Even better than Spock. But I suppose that's because he had time to study up on playing a Vulcan. You could tell he worked hard on that. Kudos, Tim.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what's even worse than the Vulcans? The actors who play humans. I mean, come on, it seems like every one of them acts differently. Can't they learn from Shatner's original portrayal of a human?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to give credit to the characters who play humans though, think of all the make up and prostheses they have to wear.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vulcan Judge Advocate at Worf's hearing (on DS9, of course) was nicely acted and believable.

Vulcans would, of course, make excellent judges.

The worst Vulcan portrayal would have to be the admiral in Conspiracy (though you could blame the parasite in him for his non-vulcan behavior).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, it is possible to disagree with someone without insulting them.

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To whom do you refer, Marian?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to view the suffering of insults as the punishment those I disagree with must bear for being so obviously mistaken.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
. Can't they learn from Shatner's original portrayal of a human?

He was HUMAN?!?!?!?!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A constipated one.

"I...have to....shit,...Spock!"

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bones McCoy:
I actually think that, of all the Vulcans, Tim Russ gave the best performance. Even better than Spock. But I suppose that's because he had time to study up on playing a Vulcan. You could tell he worked hard on that. Kudos, Tim.

Actually I think he was chosen for the part because he is known for his ability to do deadpan. A few years before Voyager was released I happened to see the Christmas episode of "Roots" in which Russ appeared, ironically along with Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks and of course so was LeVar Burton. Anyway, I can honestly remember watching Russ's performance and around the part with his "king of France" line, thinking to myself that he'd do a good portrayal of a Vulcan.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps