Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The franchise has too much baggage, so let's work with someone called McCluggage?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "The franchise has too much baggage, so let's work with someone called McCluggage?"
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/230205_01.shtml

Sorry. I just though the name was kinda funny, that's all. 8)

So what's it gonna be? A re-imagining? A step into the future? Or just a way for him to sneak his Romulan War prequel in under the radar?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuing to say that Nemesis was a good movie despite what fans thought will never make that statement true.

I don't know exactly what's meant by reimagining. How much reimagining can you do with something that's got so much established backstory. I'm not saying that there aren't good, interesting stories to tell within the Star Trek... err... realm. But if they go and change things too much, it won't really be Star Trek anymore.

It's like how they "reimagined" Batman to make the '60s TV show. Was it good? In a way. But it bore no resemblance to the Batman from the comics.

I think there needs to be some connection to other events whether the movie focuses on established characters or not. We can't just have a completely random movie that tries to be a new Star Trek in an hour and 50 minutes.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He may even want to have the 11th movie without any of the establised characters. While this is actually not a bad idea in itself, this would be harder to achieve. What I am saying is that within a 90 to 120 minute movie, you have to establish the history of the characters, the ship and the villian (if any).

I support the idea of not using the cast from just one season, but slected cast members from each of the three series for a 24th century film. Maybe start off with the Titan, have the E-E, DS9, and Voyager make an appearence. This way you have the fans of all three series going to see their favorite characters again.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...with EE, Voyager and DS9 all making an appearance, you get a biiig clip show- not a movie.

Shades of Gray on the big screen is a bad idea.

It would be better to do a Titan series with an almost all-new cast.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel if Mr. Berman had put as much energy as he is doing into this film over into Enteprise the show may have lasted. I pray there is no more Trek for a long while and certainly no Berman-trek at that. He has been a disaster for the franchise in not recognizing a good quality from a mediocre product.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in agree with Aban. Except for the part about Nemesis, which I found to be an okay film. I know I'm in the minority on that one, though.

As far as a Titan series or movie goes, I give that idea a big "meh". I can't quite put my finger on it (or put it into words), but there's something about Riker that makes him a less interesting person to watch in action than the likes of Picard, Kirk, or Sisko. It's probably the same reason that I doubt a Sulu series or movie would work very well, also.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*brushes dust off his CSI: Risa treatment*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're bringing in one of the people responsible for the "Inspector Gadget" movie? Isn't one good idea ruined enough for one lifetime?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, now. The only two bad things about the Inspector Gadget movie were the portrayal of Dr. Claw and the Gadgetmobile. And the Gadgetmobile bothered me more.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That and the fact that the only connections it had to the TV show were the character names and the fact that the guy had gadgets in his body.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there much else to the series?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, among the crazy ass rumors from AICN some time ago, we now know that at least the rumor about Kerner is true.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"You could see it with the performance of the last film, which was a wonderful movie." -Berman
I agree with Aban, how many times is this guy gonna try and make people belive that Nemesis was a good movie and it was "the fans'" fault for it not doing well.

Maybe it had a little something to do with a little movie known as "The Lord of the Rings" which it was opening a week before!?!

Moron.

The movie too was pretty craptacular. Not really a "rewatchable" movie - and most of TNG is rewatchable.

Stewart and Spiner should not have been allowed the POWER they were given. Both admitted they never watched the bloody show to begin with!

The movie had too many fingers in it's pie.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it had zero to do with Lord of the Rings.

Well, I mean, OK, maybe in terms of box office; but mostly it was because Nemesis managed to be the least Star Trek Star Trek movie. I think. I am sure I have ranted and rambled about this at length elsewhere.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, I don't know. That is why it was bad. I imagine there are a host of reasons why it underperformed.

I'm also a little skeptical about people who are not movie producers who claim to have all the movie producing answers, but since I often indulge in such, uh, whimsy, myself, I am not one to judge.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps