Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The franchise has too much baggage, so let's work with someone called McCluggage?" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "The franchise has too much baggage, so let's work with someone called McCluggage?"
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd, Sol - you're definatly at the wrong place to complain about such things, infact - i'd just log off the internet right now!

Remember what Homer said about the Internet, "Homer: The information superhighway showed the average person what some nerd thinks about Star Trek.

Or Bart for that matter:

"Milhouse: We gotta spread this stuff around. Let's put it on the Internet!
Bart: No! We have to reach people whose opinions actually matter!"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, OK?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, the problem with Nemesis (all the TNG movies except Insurrection really) is that they went more for a "big hollywood treatment" instead of starting with a story that would have worked as part of the TNG series but would need a movie budget to pull off.

First Contact was a great movie but Generations and Nemesis really are not.

I dont think there was ever a serious thought given to a Titan movie or series- they would have done more with Riker in Nemesis if there was.

..and really, they should have done more with Riker: with Frakes not directing, they missed a last chance to get Riker out from Picard's shadow.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yah ok. (it was a lighthearted post Sol).

Generations was OK, probably better than Insurrection - or maybe on par.

First Contact
Generations
Insurrection
Nemesis

Maybe one-word titles weren't the go?

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignoring the Sing along with Data, Klingon acne and floating androids, I liked Insurrection best of the TNG era movies...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the god-awful ship battle with E-E going in 50mph straight forward, and two crustacean warships pursuing in 50mph. Firing and returning fire, you know, whenever they feel like it.

Enterprise vs Reliant was two times better.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the ship battle was probably edited to death: it seems really choppy.

Probably because we never see what's going on aboard the Son'A battleships.

It's odd that you mention the speed thing: most of the gripes I hear abot the NX-01 is that it's "too agile" and "doesn't move like a capital ship"...fans seem to want lumberinging STII-ish space battles with exceptionally weak-ass weapons at point-blank ranges.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the problem with the Insurrection battle was that it looks like the effects department either ran out of money or ran out of time...or both. Some shots look VERY unfinished (the collector deployment for one) and I'm almost certain that the bit at the end with Picard inside the collector was meant to actually have the blue screen replaced with something...anything would have done. That whole sequence was just stale.

Mind you that movie had plenty of problems, even without the dodgy effects.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is that if any of the NG characters come back in this, I hope to Kahless that its a good movie, they leave Raindata out.

"Yes I am a good driver, good driver. Captain Picard lets me drive the shuttle in the holo suite because I am a good driver, yes I am."

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I hope they they leave out the manual phalic control in the next one.

:{)
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
And the god-awful ship battle with E-E going in 50mph straight forward, and two crustacean warships pursuing in 50mph. Firing and returning fire, you know, whenever they feel like it.

Enterprise vs Reliant was two times better.

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If the manual control was like that of the NX-01 it would have (mabye) worked.
The Radio Shack joystick was assinine.

It would have been FAR better to have just has Riker at the touchpad controls for helm.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

thesonofodin
Member # 1025

- posted      Profile for thesonofodin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Trek franchise should take a break for 5 years to build up the hype, and come back stronger. And get rid of B&B, they are show killers.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with wearing Depends at my age!!!
I'm just too lazy to get up and goto the bathroom!!!!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Standard "Yeah, the rapid collapse of TNG after season two should have clued everyone in" response.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Exactly.
Berman in particular is villified as worthlesss when we'd have all likely lost intrest in Roddenberry's version of TNG after another season of such nuggetts as season one produced.

Hate him or not, TNG would not have become as good as it was without him.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

But, is too much a good thing? He may have done a good job ONCE but after more than a decade, his "work" has become stale, trite and uninteresting. Manny Cotto has breathed new life into the "franchise" (I hate that word) and now they are pulling the plug. Maybe Bermaga didn't like the attention that Cotto was getting!?!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps