Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359
Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, it must have been Kirk. Everyone knows Kirk had a grandma fetish. Indeed his encounter with the Ferengi and the so-called Moogiegate are required reading at the Academy...
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek Online's take on the ships present at Wolf 359
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eo88lcqbj0ew3lFyv4bpdXTYmAJuswX/view

Not going to bother to point out the inconsistencies.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s fucking moronic, is what it is. Given we - still? - only know the names of about a dozen ships that were there, and can infer a few more I think, any exercise in naming them all becomes very subjective. But this particular example is just stupid. The Akira-class prototype USS Kaneda? Was the artist dropped on his head as a child?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Also quite amusing to read back through this thread nearly twenty years after its initiation! I wonder what us then would think of everything we’ve seen since, the warp effects in nuTrek with ships slamming out of warp to a complete stop, seemingly appearing from nowhere. Or the Holdo Manoeuvre…)

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no fan of the Niagara or Freedom classes, finding them less than properly consistent with other designs . . . but then I see the Discoverse design inclusions in this and suddenly the Niagara is frickin' beautiful.

The Vesper class toward the upper right doesn't look wholly implausible, from a top view, but the Parliament and Shikahr are pretty goofy. If you start including non-round saucers too early, and then have zero consistency in regards to angle, then the whole concept behind ellipsoid saucers becomes mere fashion choice.

If starship design is purely a function of fashion, with new designs coming out each season emerging from starbase as if strutting down a runway with a blank expression, then there's nothing interesting about starships anymore.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't mind the ShiKahr. It looks like a later take on a Miranda, though maybe a little more like VOY-era, rather than mid-TNG.

I'm not a huge fan of the Parliament, but I can definitely imagine it showing up in one of the later TNG films.

The Vesper looks way too Discovery for my tastes.

The Georgiou looks like someone said "what if Centaur, but more".

And the Narendra looks like an attempt at an Ambassador refit, to which I say : if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lee
Member # 393

If anything, the Narendra looks like they’re trying to canonise the Probert-C design.

Speaking of which - recently on Twitter a user turned up claiming to be Probert (used the handle @the_probert I think)… and proceeded to express the most horrifically repellent views. Racism, homophobia, transphobia, you name it. The account immediately came in for a universally hostile response before either going private or getting deleted. Very odd.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, that would be in line with what I've heard come from Andy Probert's conservatism.

Also, I use the Probert E-C as the Renaissance class. It fit well.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If anything, the Narendra looks like they’re trying to canonise the Probert-C design."

Oh, good point. I think you're probably right.

That's too bad about Probert apparently being a piece of shit, but what can you do, I guess?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probert left the territory of conservatism a long time ago.

https://www.instagram.com/probert_designs/
He's all about chemtrails, conspiracy theories and Trump nowadays.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

The Georgiou looks like someone said "what if Centaur, but more".

Perfectly put.

As for Probert, I commented on him seven years ago here, but the simple fact is that I wouldn't trust anyone else to design the future.

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/11/1665.html

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Ah, that explains why I had this extremely vague feeling that I'd heard about it before.
Lee
Member # 393

Don’t remember that at all. But as I get older, it’s incredible how little I do remember. I recently saw a picture of myself from a year or two before that - it’s before I had the beard I’ve had ever since shortlyafter that! - and I’m wearing a top that looks vaguely familiar but which I don’t remember owning but obviously discarded years ago. But it’s the way I feel only a vague sense of recognition but no associate no memories with that strikes me, in a troubling way.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
 -

Just quoting this because I love Letterkenny and Shoresy. Almost every Colorado Avalanche home game I go to someone is wearing a Shoresy jersey.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps