Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Playmate Star Trek Toys Return (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Playmate Star Trek Toys Return
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to TrekMovie, Playmates has acquired the rights to make toys for the new trek movie. I used to love Playmate Trek Toys, especially the ships. In fact its one of the very reasons I find the ships of Trek more interesting than any ships from other sci-fi shows/movies. Anyone else used to play with these?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not really get into trek until i was 7( 2000 ish) and i believe they stopped making them then, but i did happen to aquire a playmates "Captain Pikes Laser Pistol" and a TNG Borg drone for christmas off of www.bigbadtoystore.com
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had -- still have, actually -- much of Playmates' original line. While I for the most part liked the quality of their early products, they quickly went on the cheap, reusing obvious body-molds (i.e., "DS9 uniform Riker" with the TNG Riker head on DS9 O'Brien's body, if memory serves) and going so cheap on the accessories that characters either had bright pink or bright purple tricorders and phasers.

When Playmates could be bothered to put some time into their releases, they came out very well. When they went for the quick buck -- "Hey, let's repaint DS9 Sisko's body and stick LaForge's and Data's head on for post-Generation sales!" -- they sucked.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have little figurines of Crusher and Geordi in FC/DS9 uniforms. I can't remember when I had them (and didn't know they were "Playmates" until now ;P) but I must've been fairly young, since I enjoyed staging mock phaser battles with Batman and the Ninja Turtles...one of which was a Transformer-style toy that could fold and flip into an actual turtle and back again...another one had a freakin *whistle* in it, the mouthpiece was sticking out of back, what the hell??
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked the large ships. I had the E-D with buttons on the spine to make noise and light up the nacelles. I also had the Klingon Vor'cha-class ship.

As for the action figures... I had a bunch of TNG ones from the early 90s, around 92 I think. No clue what happened to them, or my sets. Had the bridge and I think they had one for the transporter room, but I'm not sure. Was just 11-13 around that time.

[ January 29, 2008, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never even knew they made ships...I'd've *loved* them. I did have a model of Voyager, about 18 inches long, that I put together over about a week, but I was too young and clumsy to paint the thing...thought with the mess I'd made of the glue, I didn't trust myself to try.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have that E-D. And a bag full of figures, too. Not sure exactly where they are at the moment... (in a box in a closet, most likely)

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently this all happened (the first time) when I was in college and didn't have any spare cash. You people are making me feel old. Stop it!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I have my TOS figures on display in my den.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu looks like he's about to stick it in Uhuta.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sulu's going to shove Uhura out of the way and go for Chekov.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope those books are old copies you picked up somewhere. If you're the one that broke the spines of 'em, I'mma break YOUR spine.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Sulu's going to shove Uhura out of the way and go for Chekov.

These are the voyages of the starship InnerThighs...

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Fabrux:

Many of the STAR TREK titles (and JAWS) I got second hand. Some of those others -- nope, that's all me. Sorry man, but broken spines on books are a sign of their value: the books I've only read once or twice are pristine. That copy of HOMICIDE by David Simon is held together with scotch tape, and I've probably read it a dozen times.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember I had the Ente-D, Vor'cha, and Romulan Warbird. I also have the entire Foundation Series on my bookcase. I also like that E-wing toy.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps