Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New station for "The Ultimate Computer" (Page 6)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: New station for "The Ultimate Computer"
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a problem with your idea that they wouldn't have compared them. You would think, or I would anyway, that a comparison of against all information in the database would be standard with any contact, especially a possible first contact.

The idea that they could have technology similar with others would give the crew a general idea of what they may expect, or what to hope to expect.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the D'Kora-class Marauder was developed using new tech they acquired after Maxia Zeta a decade prior.

Rev, I also wanted a nice "primitive" show, rife with wonder and exploration and the learning of how to coexist that led to the founding of the Federation. I was really hoping they'd pick the Romulan Wars as the central conflict (since zappy things make for exciting viewing). That since they decided to do the technological stuff they did, the setting was better suited as a c.2245/NCC-1701/Captain April vehicle. I think the fact that I'm still grumpy about it shows just how badly they mangled and bungled the show. *heh*

And I know Enterprise was about the first warp 5 ship. I was referring to Tyler's line in "The Cage" referring to having broken the "warp four barrier" after the Columbia left.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the line from "The Cage" was the TIME warp barrier, whatever that means.

As far as the Ferengi ship goes, perhaps the Stargazer never got off a good scan, just a silhouette and passive sensor readings...or they did but the logs weren't recovered...OR it wasn't a Ferengi built, but a Ferengi bought ship. Being the son of a Damon, perhaps he didn't rate (or couldn't afford) command of a fleet Marauder.

Which reminds me, given how the Ferengi have been developed (on DS9, particularly) since TNG, has any explanation been given as to what kind of military fleet they operate?
I tend to think of Marauders as being licensed privateers with authority to loot, pillage, plunder, steal, tax, extort, trade, whatever within a give sector(s) of space, provided the Nagus, or FCA get a percentage. One would assume the ships themselves are owned by the Alliance itself and are either sold or leased to Daimons and are somehow under contract to defend the Alliance borders if need be...but that's just me.

As far as ENT goes, sure it was bungled to a point, or rather blindly continued the trend set by Voyager. However, once Manny Coto was at the helm it very suddenly became a GOOD show.
While the first 3 seasons had their gems, they were defiantly in the minority. With season four the good to bad episode ratio was pretty much inverted. There's maybe one or two shows in that season that I wasn't happy with, sadly one of them was that finale which was just in very poor taste.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just "the time barrier" that was referred to as having been broken since the Columbia went missing. This probably was a reference to FTL travel having ben developed, but the vague/inconsistent terminology gives us enough wiggle room to not sweat it too much. Besides, it was contradicted later in "Metamorphosis" (TOS), with Cochrane character being introduced and established as having gone missing 150 years prior to the episode.

ENT was badly handled during a significant portion of its run, but it still managed to have some good episodes, and the fourth season was an obscene amount of fun if you were a TOS fan.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten: My point exactly. The computers in TNG are encased in a static warp field that let them compute faster than light; computer cores are 3 decks tall; etc etc. The computer is obviously at least semi-sentient and if you can ask it to create a Holodeck program for you based on things like "well, I want it to be a restaurant with a lot of women in it and they should serve Aldebran ale" and it actually comes up with something, it must have the ability to recognize faces and species and ships and do it pretty quickly.

It was the 'time barrier' I think, not 'time warp barrier' that was broken. I just watched The Cage the other day. But then Kirk and Co. apparently create the first time warp over PSI-2000 in The Naked Time. (Which still confuses me as a name. The fuck?) I tend to just discount it, but it's possible there was some warp-tech breakthrough that warps time, as well as space, thus allowing faster warp drives or something? But the Vulcans in ENT could do Warp 7, and the 1701 couldn't do much more than that without strain, so...Dunno.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up trying to rationalise the incosistancies between ENT and TOS. The writers simply did not know the source material (understandable as they are writers, not fans), or simply did not care. Either way, it made for a poor show, with a good premise they ignored, and an appalingly uniteresting, politicaly motivated storyline that went on too long and was not pitched at anybody out side of the US.

I still have not watched a good proportion of the 3rd series because it just did not interest me. I also think that the casting was poor in some of the key roles and that several of the "main" characters were completly superfulous.

TAS was fun. It might of been a bit silly, but I have less issue with trying to give TAS a place in cannon than ENT.

Peregrinus has hit a realy good point - if people are still bitching about ENT, then they screwed the pooch big time.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody's bitching about it except a few of us dorks on message boards, though. And even then, it doesn't seem like most posters on the TrekBBS feel that there was as much inconsistency as people on this particular board have always thought. Those of us who are technically oriented and interested in those aspects of Trek had too many preconceptions and biases about what the show "should" have been like to be very balanced in our views of it. The fact that it was often a dramatically unsatisfying show is another issue altogether, but in retrospect I think there was no more inconsistency with previous shows in ENT than there was in any of its predecessors.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When taken in the light that nothing of it ever happened, when Archer stopped that creep from entering the vortex, it wasn't oo bad.

[ February 15, 2008, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Ritten ]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just wish Hoshi would do Pr0n...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of that, remember that scene where she loses her top? There was absolutely...*no*...*NO*... reason for that, dramatically. That was just *blatant* 'eye candy' (I put it in quotes because with her arms crossed like that we saw less than a sports bra would show). And speaking of bras, why the hell wasn't she wearing one?? Does she make a habit of it when crawling around in ducts where they can hang all over the place? Or on duty when that's surely frowned upon anyway? Or during possible battle situations like this where painful floppage might be an issue what with the rolling and firing and punching?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

You, Sir, are a dork.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B-cups don't flop that much.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who? [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Seriously, am I the only one who went "Wait, where the hell is her bra?"
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...but perhaps she didn't need one. Or want one. Or it's built into the undershirt. Note my previous comment.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps