Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New station for "The Ultimate Computer" (Page 5)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: New station for "The Ultimate Computer"
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, yes, like the X-29 FSW from days of old. Other aircraft show what their purpose will be, XC-17, experimental transport, XAH-64, experimental attack helicopter, etc... The 29 was a fully experimental aircraft to test Forward Swept Wing technology.

Mars & Fabrux, for me it wasn't the minorish goofs that happen. Meeting the Ferengi too soon and Picard and crew not knowing about them. Creating a set of species never encountered later, to my (limited) knowledge.

I the temporal cold war wasn't too bad of an arc, since Archer made it so it never happened.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole Ferengi nonsense is annoying. Like how LaForge supposedly told a joke involving a Ferengi in a gorilla suit during the Farpoint mission.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
No, its just a case of people not liking it and therefore feeling they can ignore it.

Like.... oh, Macross II: Lovers Again to the rest of the macross Continum or, even better, Galatica 1980? [Razz]

X-29... Yeap, that bird gave us great things to remember (and forget): Macross Plus's YF-19 and Macross 7's VF-19P Kai 'Fire Valkyrie'. Basara is a Bitch Emo Boy... [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The YF-19 was very clearly derived from the '29. My Macross Plus book says so in fancy kanji characters. And Basara is so NOT emo. He's just borderline autistic with a superiority complex.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I�m sorry, NC-27 on a sketch? What is this pic?
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/6/2549/2.html

I don't believe anyone has seen the sketch.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, about USS...Enterprise thought they avoided that issue by calling it the SS Enterprise, but OH NO...Cuz what the hell does SS stand for? StarShip? That's kinda cheesy, isn't it? Shouldn't it have logically be UES, United Earth Ship?

They *really* should have mentioned UESPA in Enterprise...

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What show were you watching? They never referred to the Enterprise as "S.S. Enterprise." It was just "Enterprise."

And although no one ever actually said the word "UESPA," it was written on a banner in the last few episodes of the series.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
The whole Ferengi nonsense is annoying. Like how LaForge supposedly told a joke involving a Ferengi in a gorilla suit during the Farpoint mission.

While I won't pretend that having the Ferengi on ENT was a great idea, strictly speaking, from a historical records POV they were just some unknown alien humanoid, as their race was never mentioned and there wasn't much chance of doing any sort of medical profile. If anyone in the 24th Century just happens to go through the archives and happens across the airlock security footage then they'll slap their foreheads and note that first contact was earlier than they thought...big deal.

As for the TNG crew knowing about the Ferengi during farpoint, that's not a mistake, Picard even mentions them in the pilot. At that point it seams the Ferengi were known by reputation only, presumably through third hand reports and such. Like they "knew" about the Borg prior to J-25, though not possessing all the pieces until afterwards.
Or if you will finding the Vikings were actually the first Europeans to land in America, not the Spanish (that we know of, so far.)
History isn't recorded as much as you think and when it is, it's often not as accurate as you might believe.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's entirely possible I'm off my rocker about the SS Enterprise.

Nobody said UESPA but Kirk *did* say "United Earth Space Probe Agency."

Rev: Surely the computers of ENT and TNG can recognize faces when they see them? Ours are getting pretty good at that *now.* And Data should've known.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev, I can accept that, and I'll blame a bad sector on Data's not knowing.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Bad Data, or bad data? *goes to pun hell*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're kidding right? Data had to look up what "snoop" means.
Also keep in mind that the NX encounter was more than two centuries before official first contact. You have any idea how many unknown species have been encountered since then? Hundreds? Thousands? Do records of that detail still exist? Does some huge trivia generating super-computer automatically analyse EVERYTHING that goes on and dose a scan recognition to everything that's in the archives?! Seriously, computers aren't omnipotent and there's not reason for anyone on the E-D to say "Computer, do those guys remind you of anyone in the database?". Nobody knew it was there, so no reason to look. Besides, what'd be the point, they already knew they were talking with Ferengi.
Also, don't forget about Maxia Zeta.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I thought Picard's battle there was with an unknown aggressor.

I should see if my brother will send me his DVDs of TNG so I can watch them again. It's been a long while.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. The ship that attacked the Stargazer near the Maxia Zeta system was an unidentified vessel of unknown design. From this, we can sort of presume that it wasn't a typical Ferengi Marauder, as Picard had several opportunites to recognize those as the ship that attacked him before "The Battle" identified that attacker as Ferengi.

My problem with Enterprise is still that it should have been the launch and early missions of 1701 under Captain April, for what they showed. Breaking the warp 4 "barrier"; transporters, phasers, and photon torpedoes making it onto ships for the first time, the Captain being some great diplomat... Stuff like that. My problem was that they were essentially trying to mush two different eras together into one show.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Agreed for the most part, though it was the Warp 5 "barrier" they were going for. Not so much a physical barrier as a technological one.

As for Maxia Zeta, true the ship probably wasn't a Marauder, but still sensor readings should have shown a similar warp signature, hull composition, weapons signatures, etc. That is IF there was a reason to compare them. There wasn't, so they didn't. Same as with the ENT encounter.

I'm not defending it, it was a crap episode and a bad idea. Season 2 was full of those kinds of "cameos", some more successful than others (I really enjoyed the Borg one!) Still, from a strictly logical point of view, the encounter COULD have happened without violating canon.

As for ENT's premise - a bit mute considering how much this has already been discussed and the fact that it's long since been cancelled - but I rather thought they should have gone the other direction and made it earlier, or at least less technologically advanced than they did. So no phasers, just a laser/plasma weapon (not that they used the stun setting much anyway), no transporters, at least none that are safe for lifeforms and a general moratorium on TNG style technobabble (meta this, transphasic that, iso whatever.) Of course that would mean hiring writers that actually have a grasp of science and treat it with a little respect, or do what B5 did and just avoid fictional tech dependent stories as much as possible.

I do believe though, if it had been given a 5th season it would have realised it's true potential. Unlike some I really didn't care much for the Xindi arc (and stopped watching the show about 2 episodes in to the 3rd season) but I did see the 4th and it was a HUGE improvement.

--------------------

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps