Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avert your eyes children!

go here: http://www.section31.com/stories/mar-2002/031202_a.shtml

$$ for episode 19 of Enterprise.

DISGUSTING, Do Berman and Braga have ANY respect for not only continuity, but the work that writers and actors and producers have put in over the last 15+ years to build Star Trek to what it is - and yes that means recognising TOS and NOW TNG... No Ferengi... they have unlimited numbers of aliens to choose from, yet they pick the 'easy way out' and go for the "Cheap Laughs" Ferengi. B&B can't do Ferengi. Never could. Only Behr, Wolfe and co. could pull of the Ferengi.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew,

Chill the fuck out. It's already been made clear that Archer & Co. never learn that the aliens are called Ferengi.

And given the discrepencies between TNG's early portrayals of Ferengi, why aren't you yelling at Moore, Braga, and Behr for "runining continuity"?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuiyt aside, it's just lazy, sloppy writing. They're so hidebound they can't think oanything better to do than bring back the Ferengi. It's the same with Romulans, which Berman has already said will be sure to return (although maybe they'll actually be Remans, to preserve continuity and plug the next film).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I should be averting my eyes from are more of these whiney stick-up-ass topics.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a really insane double-standard...

If they use "established" aliens, (ie, from the 'future' of Trek) someone has a hissy fit screaming 'Continuity!'

If they use aliens that nobody's ever seen before, someone has a hissy fit screaming 'why haven't we seen these aliens in 'future' Trek Continuity!'

Space the whiners.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not true.. I'm perfectly happy with Axanari, Malurians and Andorians, am looking forward to Romulans (as long as its done right), Tellarites (hopefully) and so on. Im still edgy but allright with Nausicaans.

I'm just really unhappy with the treatment of the Ferengi, with the Klingons, and new losers like the Xyrillians. yuk.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Only Behr, Wolfe and co. could pull of the Ferengi.
Yes, sometimes I fear Berman and Braga will never write episodes as powerful and challenging as "Profit and Lace." Were we watching the same DS9?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll whine... It's my TURN to whine... I NEVER GET TO WHINE!!!!! ;o)

I'm now chilling out the fuck, and it'll be ready for dinner...

I didn't KNOW that we know that Archer doesn't KNOW that they are 'called Ferengi' - It wasn't in the Article I posted was it?

Yes Ferengi changed in Early TNG, but well from "Menage a Troi" we get the 'comic Ferengi'... And DS9 did the Ferengi proud... and YES, I liked Profit and Lace (Maybe Australian's just get a good Drag Show better than others... hello "Priscilla: Queen of the Desert"! ;o) (I liked the Sluggo cola reference in the episode) ANYWAY... DS9 Ferengi eps worked way better than TNG/Voy Ferengi episodes.

And YES, what I'm mainly WHINING ABOUT, is that B&B had nothing better to do than go back and pull out the Ferengi again! And in the first season. It's a bit rough isn't it. Invent their own versions of 'Ferengi' - I.E. a comical race to play with... to develop. they don't need to go there (Ferengi) again.

I'm waiting for Deltans ;o)

Just saw "Strange New World" - Archer's "Silicon Based Lifeform" line jarred a little with me - yeah make believe but, well weren't the very IDEA of the Horta just way out, and here Archer's using it as a rationalising tool - which Tucker under the Psychotropin effects seems to be able to accept!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dood, wen yur hi awn zykodrowpik dwuggs, yu kin akzept al zortz of tings. o_O

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Just saw "Strange New World" - Archer's "Silicon Based Lifeform" line jarred a little with me - yeah make believe but, well weren't the very IDEA of the Horta just way out, and here Archer's using it as a rationalising tool - which Tucker under the Psychotropin effects seems to be able to accept!?!

Scientists have postulated silicon-based life for decades. I believe the Horta was noteworthy for being intelligent, not silicon-based.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long as the humans don't see the Romulans, first contact with them about this time would be sensible. After all, the Romulan War isn't too far off into the future at this point, right?

*Really must remember to get his Chronology book to college with him at some point*

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. And if we somehow don't meet (sorry, "encounter facelessly") the Romulans during the show even more hordes will scream about continuity violations, even though a Romulan War taking place entirely after 2157 or even circa 2180 would fit the vague line from "Balance of Terror" just fine.

[ March 14, 2002, 18:59: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reserve my opinion until i see the episode.

People can argue continuity -- but some forget that Ferengi made contact with US army in the 20th Century.

and if some of what is said true - and Archer doesn't know that they are Ferengi -- well then.. It's no different than the DS9 ep when Quark, Rom and Nog get captured in the 20th.

Where are the continuity criers where that's concerned??

It's the same shit over and over again.

I'm just going to enjoy Jeffery Combs and Ethan Phillips' return to ST.

And who knows?? The writing JUST may be good! So far.. I have only been disappointed once..

I didn't like the Boomer ep. I thought it sucked.. but thus far... Enterprise has FAR FAR FAR exceeded my expectations.. and for that.. I'm giving the writters, producers, directors, and the actors the benefit of the doubt.

Let's wait 'till we see the episode before we kill it!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't know Romulans looked like Vulcans. Only way round that is if Archer-era Starfleet concealed this information for the sake of Human-Vulcan relations.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if they never saw a Romulan.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps