Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Enterprise and the ratings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise and the ratings
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birds of Prey got canceled because it had bad ratings, and it's above Enterprise [Confused]

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bird of Prey was the = suk.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Enterprise managed to get below even that... That's why I'm so surprised...

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Yes, damn them for kidnapping your family, locking them in a room and then threatening to shoot them in the head unless you buy The Newest Crossover Series Of Novels Where The Captains Get Together And Eat The Defiant. Or whatever.

That's not what happened.

I saw the Enterprise books, and i looked at the covers and they looked like good books. Imagine my surprise when I found they hadn't even been proofread!

They looked like good books! The covers were good! That's how you're supposed to tell, right? by the covers?

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I'll never forgive the producers... for the death of my boy.

That's my line, d00d..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NightWing:
Birds of Prey got canceled because it had bad ratings, and it's above Enterprise [Confused]

There are many, many reasons why shows get cancelled. Audience demographic, desirability of advert breaks, merchandising, costs of making the show, monkey eating, and more.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NightWing:
Birds of Prey got canceled...

Finally making way for that Klingon sit-com with the same title which will get cancelled after half an episode.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They looked like good books! The covers were good! That's how you're supposed to tell, right? by the covers?
Being an avid reader of Star Trek novels myself, I can honestly say that these days, Star Trek novel cover art is about as dull as that show with the NX-01. Almost every novel's cover is just a painting of one or more of the crew members, mostly in a pose they took for a publicity photo.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually its worse than that: All of the novels this year have had Very Bad Photoshop work done on their covers. The Enterprise novel What Price Honor has an image of Reed from his publicity photo, with the colors skewed off of true somehow (and looking pretty pixelated at that) with the bridge in the background, also with bad color adjustment.

The rest of the novels seem to be using the basic Photoshop filters, but so poorly that it looks like a child made them.

The worst part is when they combine to Pshop plugins to make a bizarre looking distorted image (Mission Gamma, Janus Gate)

really awful stuff.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Cover art these days is just absolutely awful. However, I still have fond memories of the older novels with the Boris Vallejo cover art. Vallejo actually based his cover art on *gasp* the actual novel's story, and the fictional characters therein, instead of just one of the main cast. His version of the Federation class dreadnought from the "Dreadnought!" book was simply amazing. He must have been a fan of FJ. And my hands-down favorite cover: Krenn playing chess with the boy Spock while an unknown Vulcan/Romulan/Tharavul looks disapprovingly on, from "The Final Reflection."

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Time For Yesterday"--Zar riding out of the Guardian of Forever as Spock stands off to the side. Yes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

even when the novels actually had the balls to paint new pictures of the characters.. like Hamesaad Dreen on the cover of 'Legacy' or Joanna McCoy on 'Crisis on Centaurus'. nowaday they just repackage publicity garbage for us, by an artist whose education level in photoshop is about the same as my cat's...

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a cat in our art department. He's really quite good. If only they didn't have to replace his mouse every week...

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

That's the problem with cover art these days...(at least for the ST novels)...the artist just makes random paintings, which have absolutely nothing to do with the story inside the book. Plus the artwok is just bad. I have a mind to contact Pocket Books and complain, just to see what they'd tell me.

There's a trilogy by Frederick Pohl called "The Other End of Time." They're absolutely excellent books, about a group of aliens who want humans to join their "Federation," & fight with them against another alien race, but it turns out that their enemy is actually the good guys. (There's much more to it than that, but that's the gist of the plot).

However, the cover artist apparently never bothered to actually read the book he was making the art for, because the paintings had nothing to do with the story. I think many Sci-fi books have this problem.

--------------------

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
For the most part, it's not the general public getting turned off, but the Trekkie fans...

Interesting comment. If that is the case, then that would mean the end of a “built-in audience.” No?

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what kept Star Trek afloat after TNG went off the air? I think it was the 'built-in' audience along with a handdul of people who just can't find any better on.

Take away the Trekkies in Star Trek, what do you have?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps