Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » WYSIWYG... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WYSIWYG...
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Doc, in many ways, I really do. But it is in the fashion they are going back that worries me. I think 'Enterprise' has a wonderful concept behind it, and if it doesn't work there can be no excuses at all. It's just set up to be a winner, ie, man going out into space to discover and explore brand new races and worlds, and to see how it all began. If they fail with this, I just couldn't begin to quantify the magnitude of incompetence it would take.

It's just unfortunate that we're so dim, stubborn and inflexible that we will lose nights sleep over continuity errors. But I can't avoid it, I'm hooked up in Trek to the neck - it's in my blood, everything, and all the minutiae thereof. What can I say, I'm a geek!

I think a part of me is really really gunna miss the 24th century. I don't want this era to be left behind. perhaps it's that which is hindering my ability to adapt...

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be left behind. I'd bet we'll get at least one more TNG movie. After that, we might get a mixed cast movie, or, depending on the success of Enterprise, they might wait for that to finish before spinning it off onto the big screen.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a mistake, and nothing good will come of it.
Has it occurred to anyone that Trek may have had her heyday and is growing a little tired of being re-invented every seven years by whoever happens to be running Paramount at the time? The films will continue on, but I think more new series is a bad thing. There's no way in hell you can maintain continuity and believabilty for six television series. Hell, they've already had to take the one that made the least money (TAS) and declare it non-canon. Voyager was a disaster. Now there's this. It just isn't healthy for the franchise. They should wait some years, a time comparable to the gap between TOS and TNG, and then it will do far better. Give Trek some breathing room.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Adml : I understand , I used to be like that , but nowadays I figure you cant nitpick anything untill you nitpick yourself , and I dont like self exploration , I'm scared of me.

MMoM : Star Trek has gone through very little change since TNG IMO , Trek has alot of potenial , they just need to modernize it.

Part of me does agree that Star Trek does seem to have run its course , but at the same time I think Enterprise could add some life the franchise , they are trying to Dump atleast some of the "geekness" from Star Trek by making it more contemporary, and whether its a huge failure or a big success that leads to a new form of Trek that keeps the Series alive and fresh , it is defenatley worth the gamble. Frankly Mim , its to early to tell what this might be , so stop crying wolf already , and sit back and WAIT , We will know in September , what to expect of this series , not in July or August , in September when the show premires.

Odds are it could very well be Good Trek and you will watch it anyway , it might even be one of those Guilty pleasures , like listening to NSYNC's Pop Song , yes... You cant tell me that song isnt catchy , you cant. Its simply impossbile not to atleast kinda starg dancing when you listen to that song ...

You Cant ...

So Dont try...

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"'Know thyself'? If I knew myself, I'd run away!"

~ Don't know where it came from (It DID come from somewhere though. )

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...NSYNC's Pop Song..."

Wouldn't that be all of their songs...?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim: Apparently they didn't think that was obvious enough when the song needed a title. I guess it's a bit like 98 degrees entitling a song "Shit."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt they'll be able to stay away from the lure of trying to incorporate the future.

possible $$$$

I'm still betting that the Future-Enemy-Guy is going to turn out to be someone that we already know...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I say it'll probably turn out to be Gul Dukat, the fanboys will most likely come in their pants. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, I thought Gul Dukat as well. Also Tomalak, Q, Sela are possibly other candidates. It's likely to be someone we know....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tomalak

Um, this would be brilliant.

quote:
Sela

This less so.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To those who think TOS is "campy"...

Watch the contemporary television of the time. A mid-60s episode of Bonanza illustrates just how good TOS was by comparison. It didn't look that cheap, and the acting was downright subtle (Shatner notwithstanding) compared to a lot of the contemporary shows. And camp? Camp is Batman (Zap! Pow!) and the latter two seasons of Lost in Space ("Oh, the pain.")

Sure, TOS looks dated, but TNG is also starting to look creaky. The video compositing in the first seasons is looking nearly as archaic as some TOS effects. And the totally 80s women's big hair hairdos...ow.

As to a retro look, you could very well design a look that would feel related to TOS but would not look cornball. All you have to do is pick the right design esthetic and push it to the hilt. Art Deco came out in the 20s and people still use elements of that style in architecture today, and it doesn't necessarily look cheesy or cornball or even 1920s.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newt:
Point taken, and apologies. Actually, my main criticism against the TOS actors is their performances during the last 6 movies.

(not Shatner, Kelly or Nimoy)

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps