Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Quoth Sternbach of Friendship 1:

Author Topic: Quoth Sternbach of Friendship 1:
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bugged Rick about Friendship 1. Here's what he said:

Nah, didn't use the Phoenix. The idea here was that you'd have a big deuterium
tank, with the instrumentation at the nose end, and the smaller cylinder at the
aft end would be the antimatter pod, very crude by 24th cent. standards. In a
manned vehicle, the pod would be jettisoned if there was a problem, and during
cruise phase it would trail behind on a mag-shielded umbilical, for safety
reasons. The nacelles were, well, nacelles; there wasn't much to do with those
beyond slapping them on the sides. The logo was an early version of what would
eventually become the Starfleet logo; there was a big blue United Earth globe in
the center, so it *wasn't* the logo from later centuries.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what he's saying is that the delta was used as the pre-Starfleet logo, then it was used only as the Enterprise-nil's symbol, and then it became the symbol for all of Starfleet?

------------------
Lisa: "OK, now we're gonna pick jobs out of the chore hat. Dad, you go first."
Homer: "Come on, bikini inspector...scrub toilet! Ohhhwww...OK, that was a practice..."

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I still find that a little too hard to believe as the arrowhead had the exact same shape as we currently have now. If the arrowhead usage originated from the past, I think it's shape should be at least a little different.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited May 02, 2001).]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, why didn't the idiots make it clearer to see? Y'know, if they made clearer some of these little things, we wouldn't have half as many wild temporal-causality loop discussions as we do now. Oh, wait, that's a bad thing, isn't it?

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure would love to get a look at that United Earth logo if there are any shots available. (Especially since my current web project is a complete history of the Romulan War -- so far I've only used the traditional UN logo of today.)

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that, when SF was assigning emblems, they looked through old records and the Friendship-1 delta happened to be one that they picked. It's just a coincidence that it happened to be the one picked later for all of SF.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since both the Enterprise crew "arrowhead" and the clunkier TOS Enterprise pennant "boomerang" have been used as starship pennants, the former both before and after the latter, it would make sense that there were some other variations of the design in use in other times as well - wouldn't it?

If there were five or six variants of the "delta" symbol during the history of Earth's starflight, then it would be less of an anomaly if one of them went in and out of fashion and then in again. Perhaps SEVERAL of them did? Perhaps the "boomerang" was worn on uniform chests at some time, while a simple triangle was painted on ships? And perhaps a very steep and sharp arrowhead was worn on uniforms when the "rounded arrowhead" last served as starship decoration, in the 2260s?

If there were several such combinations, then it would only be logical that we'd see a couple of variants, a couple of repetitions, and then in the 2270s a slow solidification into a single, refined form of the symbol.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that no-one here knows that the arrow/boomerang shape has to do with the energy needed to go to warp.

I really loved it when they turned it sideways on the 29th century badge. In a way that adds the timetravel variable to it.

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that was mentioned in another thread. But that idea is taken from a novel Star Trek:Federation, great book btw!
It can�t be considered canon. Or is this from another source, altair?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me on a convention years ago, I cannot remember where it is from...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps