Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » starfleet fleet size in comparison with registries (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: starfleet fleet size in comparison with registries
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes
lets start another debate about fleet size hehehe
even though we'll probably never reach a conclusion.

assuming the registeries are chronological and that each ship built goes up by 1 digit.

taking the registry of the sutherland--from another debate
NCC-72015
[i know thats not the highest]
lets just assume that ever since the dawn of starfleet and up till the Sutherland-starfleet have built around
72015 ships!
whoa-lotta ships

now lets assume that only 1/4 of that number is still intact--meaning they haven't been lost or decomissioned
and they eigther are in service or mothballed.
thats around 18003 ships[almost]

now lets assume that of this number, only 1/4th are capital ships--like excelsiors,nebulas,akiras and mirandas

all others are oberths, and some small dinky science ship, transports, surveyers, maybe even runabouts.

thats 4500 capital ships
is it just me or does that number makes sense as to how many ships starfleet should have

i mean for the peaceful era before wolf359
that number makes sense----those ships are scattered everywhere around a large federation and only half of them are "really" equipped for combat.
making the loss of 40 ships around close to earth a very big loss.

but, now even for the dominion war-i think this number still makes sense as to how many starfleet ships should have---alot of the mirandas and excels got brought back into service.

we know of fleets--probably 10
some very big-probably around 1000 ships
and some very small--just over a 100

all together take 4500 ships and divide them to 10 fleets and you get an average of 450 ships per fleet
even though we know fleets varied in sizes.

makes sense when you hear the constant dialogue of portraying starfleet as always undermaned and spread thin in ships during the dominion war.

and now that i think of it, it especially makes sense that the dominion rienforcements of 2000 ships would tip the scale of the war forever not just against the fed but the combined forces of the klingons as well....
the feds can't have too many ships or a fleet of mere 2000 ships would not be that much of a death blow to the alphaquadrant.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited May 13, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, let's assume that using a caps button would make people more inclined to read this.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! Anyway, while your statements make sense, a far more interesting question in my opinion is just how many starbases and outposts Starfleet has. Just how many Starbase 74 types are there out there? Is DS9 really in "deep space"?

Thoughts?

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some food for thought: We don't know if Federation registries run on one continuum (ie no such thing as NAR-74656, NDT-74656 etc. etc.) or if Starfleet has a separate registry continuum from other Federation bodies that register ships (so we could have NCC-74656, NAR-714656 and NDT-74656)

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that semi-canonically the multiple-continuum theory is confirmed - some display or another already had a NAR registry that matched an existing NCC registry. I'll have to do some digging, though. Anyway, here's something that's been said many times before:

Multiple separate continuums (continuae? continui?) would make sense if one wants to hold on to chronological registries, too. We saw NARs in the 20000 range back in ST6's time, and heard of NARs in the four-digit range in pre-Federation times - the NCCs seem to be dragging behind if we take them to be even roughly chronological.

As for starbases, those apparently aren't chronological. In TOS, we had SB 200 already, and in TNG, SBs up to the high 700s - yet SB 173 only came online during the run of TNG. So either SB numbers are recycled, or then many of them were left unused originally and Starfleet is now slowly filling in the gaps. SB numbers might very well be based on sector numbers or something, instead of chronological order.

Timo Saloniemi

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey unless i'm gonna turn this in for a grade
screw the caps

life's too short for them.

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited May 14, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life's too short to hit the "shift" key, but not too short to make the above post ... ? Fascinating. Maybe your finger's too short to hit the "shift" key ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALRIGHT THAT'S ENOUGHT CHILDREN!

There JeffKardde, that enought CAPS for you?

So the guy can't be bothered with the CAPS or SHIFT keys, is that a crime? The last time I checked, it was not. Leave him alone please, we can do without another slagging off match like this Darkstar issue. (Nothing personal JeffKardde, but honestly is it such a big deal whether a person uses CAPS or not?)

With that out of the way and off my chest, I'd like to add a little fact that may have been missed. Just prior to the Defiant entering the wormhole to meet the Dominion fleet, there were approximately 2,800 ships on their way through the wormhole. 2,800!

I'd like to know what percentage of the Dominion fleet that those 2,800 were allocated. If it was 1% then the Dominion fleet = 280,000 ships, and that's a lot of ships! And if the Dominion can have that many, what's stopping the Federation from doing the same?

Oh yes, don't forget scrapped/failed prototypes. If they were given a registry number and then not used, that might account for the large 75*** numbers seen near the end of DS9 series 7. Or did you already mention that? Probably!

TheF0rce
Member # 533

grrrr
and i thought you were just joshing with me.

JeffKardde
hey if you can't make sense of what i wrote becuase i don't use the shift key---on a message board that has nothing in the rule book about adhering to perfect english: that is on an internet based world where "LOL" is allowed,
and in a post that has nothing to do with adhering to gramatical rules,
then just tell me and i'll simplify it down to just the numbers so you won't have to trouble your grammatical log mind.

and if thats not your problem and you just have some bone to pick with me or your just a bizaar asshole
then lets take it outside!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2800 ships is alot. If the Dominion has lets say 20,000 ships and Starfleet has 5,000-8,000 ships. Also the Klingons might have a smaller fleet of about 3,000-5,000 ships. That 2,800 ships can tip the scale for anything even if Starfleet has over 20,000 ships herself.

Starfleet does have the industrial strength and resources to be 1000 times lager than what they are now. The only reason why is that it would be considered militeristic and the other powers will do the same thus creating a arms race. Though this aalready happening its going very slowly according to the expansion of the Federation.

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is get your average Joe and put him/her on the show and see how they react. Afterwards even though they did not win they make money by appearing on shows. There is no point in having to win a million dollars! They will make that amount in 2 months after appearing on 100 different shows!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GRRRR!

WHAT DID I SAY!?

E-N-O-U-G-H!

WHY WON'T PEOPLE LISTEN TO ME!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHH!

STOP THE FIGHTING BEFORE IT STARTS!

By the way, any retort to my comment about the size of the Dominion fleet?

TheF0rce
Member # 533

ok ok
back to the topic
i still kinda prefer the dominion to have less than 10,000 ships or else haveing 2,800 ships would not ensure them of overrunning the federation

i mean the dominion could just build the 2,800 ships if their total fleet was several times that size.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Dominions are suppose to be the predominant power of the Gamma quadrant. They aren't just made up of the Founders, but several other races, too. Kinda like a Federation if Starfleet went around saying "join us or dieeeeeeeeee". And they have been around for over a thousand years.

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No.

They've told the races that they've forced to join them that they have been around for thousands of years. There's no evidence that that just isn't propaganda to make the Dominion look even more terrifying to their enemies.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think the Dominion tells its subject races much of anything.

Beyond that, the Vorta, at least, believe the Dominion to be several millennia old. It's possible that this number is false, but the Vorta, at least, seem to genuinely believe it.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps