Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » You knew it was coming... (!!!Endgame Spoilers!!!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You knew it was coming... (!!!Endgame Spoilers!!!)
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Yeager - official or not?

There is no debate that the ship we refer to as "Yeager" exists; the question is - is the label "Yeager" official, or is the ship instead a Intrepid-class variant?

IMHO, while an Intrepid-variant makes sense, "Yeager" seems about as official as the other class names we only know from sources like the TM, Magazine, or the Wolf 359 research. Also, there's the whole Miranda/Soyuz thing which indicates that class distinctions can be fairly arbitrary.

I'd be happy to have both Soyuz and Yeager be sub-classes; when Data calls the Bozeman a Soyuz-class ship he's assuming that everyone knows its a Miranda-class ship; the remarkable thing is that the Soyuz "class" has been out of service for a century.

The episode wasn't a total waste as far as us geeks are concerned - we now know how the TransWarp Conduits introduced in "Descent" [TNG] work. In that episode the Enterprise detects and copies a subspace signal to open and use a conduit; until "Endgame" [VOY] we didn't know where the signal went, where the conduits came from, how widespread they were, whether they were artificial or natural.

Rather surprising - most episodes - especially a series finale, and extra-especially Voyager - raise more tech questions than answers.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rhode Island's registry is NCC-72701.
The Nebula's registry is NCC-70915 (it's the Nebula from MIAB).

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the NCC-70915 survived the battle with the USS Prometheus NX-74913. Good.

According to canonical registries, the USS Rhode Island's place in the registry list is between two Danube Class ships.

NCC-72381 USS Equinox
NCC-72452 USS Rio Grande
NCC-72701 USS Rhode Island
NCC-72917 USS Mekong

Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The RI should have kicked Klingon butt. Where were those miraculous transphasic torpedoes that blew up Borg cubes by the dozen? Don't tell me they didn't want to destroy the Klingons. Just fighting them is probably an act of war.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks Highlander's "Endgame" movie was better. And since that film sucked ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nebula we saw is the same one from "Message in a Bottle"? That's a big help.

And also a big problem. Because it's the same ship that appears in the "Ships of the Line" calendar that's on the wall next to my desk. (Coincidentally, it's also the May picture, too.) I seem to recall people discussing this earlier, but I'll recap anyway: The caption says the ship is the USS Farragut, the registry on the nacelle pylon says NCC-70915 (inconsistent with the Farragut as seen in "Generations") and the tiny print on the mission pod says USS Bondue (I think). To top it off, the main labeling on the saucer seems to read USS Honshu, NCC-60205!

I guess we can stick with the USS Bondue NCC-70915, since those two designations are unique and not associated with any other ship.

Does anyone have any other info on ship labels? I tried to get a look at the Galaxy-class ship as it passed, but my freeze-frame is way too fuzzy, unfortunately.

Hey... does anyone know if Mojo is still around? I'll be he could help out with this.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And also a big problem. Because it's the same ship that appears in the "Ships of the Line" calendar that's on the wall next to my desk.

As Mojo explained the mix of names and registries was accidental. I assume that the names and registries were only mixed up on the calendar picture and names and registries on the CGI-model used in Voyager were ok.

quote:
mission pod says USS Bondue

Bonchune.

quote:
Does anyone have any other info on ship labels? I tried to get a look at the Galaxy-class ship as it passed, but my freeze-frame is way too fuzzy, unfortunately.

I've asked Rob Bonchune (Foundation Imaging), if he assigned names and registries to the other ships and here's his answer:

>No. whatever we had we used and never checked.

quote:

Hey... does anyone know if Mojo is still around? I'll be he could help out with this

No, because he no longer works for Foundation Imaging.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've asked Rob Bonchune (Foundation Imaging), if he assigned names and registries to the other ships and here's his answer:

>No. whatever we had we used and never checked.

Well that probably means that the Thunderchild was the Akira-class ship that we saw...

Jeez, don't these guys have any real interest in their work? I remember reading Bernd's article about the Wolf 359 ships and how Okuda and the others meticulously labeled most of the ships that we saw. It's a shame they don't do that now...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really still don't see how that name for the Nebula fits on there. It still looks to only be 5 to 6 letters.

And why the hell do you guys ALWAYS change the board when I'm away on vacation???

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps