Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ["Cold Front" $$$] About the Temporal Cold War... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ["Cold Front" $$$] About the Temporal Cold War...
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just got done watching the episode. Eek.

The temporal observatory appears to have been fried, but we got to see enough of it that I can make a few observations. It seems very similar to the interface onboard Annorax's temporal weapon/ship, except 3D. But I wouldn't care to speculate if the Krenim have any role in the Temporal Cold War.

I've also kind of got a funky theory that solves this whole time travel thing... Future Guy and Daniels don't actually time travel. Think about it. We've seen 29th Century time travel technology. If good old Braxton is any indication, actually physically travelling back in time strains the body and warps the mind. Instead, I think Future Guy and Daniels are (for lack of better term) temporal isomorphic projections. Future Guy's is just less advanced. Regular isomorphic projections were seen in "Think Tank," where Jason Alexander's character, while not actually there, could drink and taste coffee. Daniels, while for all intents and purposes could interact with the 22nd Century as though he was actually there, was not. Silik's beam didn't actually kill Daniels, it just shattered the projection.

Am I making any sense with this?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that makes a lot of sense, Krenim. Daniels' explosion seemed rather funky, almost like he was a holographic-type thing. He exploded into chunks that dematerialized.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmmmm. Processing........processing. I have formulated a short theory.

The time-traveling red-shirt (Note: He was wearing red and he died. ) said he was "more or less" Human. Is it possible that Daniel's was genetically modifed to handle extended time-travel without developing temoral psychosis? Myabe that was what he meant by being "more or less" Human. As for genetic modifications being illegal within the Federation, they may have made an exception by the time the 31st century rolled around.

Sorry to say this Krenim, but if Daniels was a projection I think Phlox would have noticed this when he gave him a physical. On the other hand a genetic modification could be hidden from Phlox's instruments if need be.....

I need to review the episode again, but I also have a theory about the theory I just told you about. hehe.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kren: It's not inconcievable that in the 200 or so years between Braxton and Daniels Temporal transport is perfected. Indeed, perhaps that was the reason they moved the Future dude to the 31st century as opposed to the more familiar 29th.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't know if FutureGuy is fromt he 31st Century - Daniels says that he's from an unspecified time before then, difference being that they can't interact with their surroundings.

And I like the notion that Daniels wasn't really there, but was merely a more advanced version of the temporal projection that FutureGuy was apparently using. After all, when Silik killed him, he didn't jsut vapourize - he seemed to destabilize or something first, laugh a bit (per the closed captioning), and then he *exploded* with some blue energy pyrotechnics. Now, granted we don't know what kind of weapon Silik had, but it certainly didn't seem to kill with the familiar vapourization thing we know in Trek, and not like the drilling/burning effect we've seen those weapons have on Archer's leg and the Suliban babe.

So, assuming TPTB are actually keeping track of these things, whatever Silik killed wasn't just human. And if Daniels was actually *in* this time frame, then when he was shot he'd look like Archer's leg or that Suliban babe. In other words, he may very well be some sort of projection like it has been posited here. Cool, no?

Mind you, the key thing is that we don't really know if what Daniels was saying was the actual truth. If he was Timefleet or something like that, then even if they'd been killed I'd assume someone would be sent back to cleam up the mess. This of course depends on what the mess *was*. According to the supposed original timeline, the Pre-E was *destroyed* in the episode. Of course, this may be some alternate limeline hijinks caused by FutureGuy or whoever Daniels was with. In any case, we're probably going to assume that Archer, T'Pol and Trip remember what this is all about for future episodes - no one at least erased their memories, like they supposedly do as standard procedure with Timefleet. Hmm...

Time travel. Tricky Business. Unpredictable.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you, if Daniels was a projection, then why would he need a phase shifting dohickey or a temporal observatory dohickey?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The instruments are not there for Daniels benefit; rather, they are there for the benefit of the 22nd century humans.

We know from Star Trek the progression of the use of time travel.

Vulcans are disputing the validity and, more importantly, the existence of time travel.

Time travel is proven to exist as a freak side effect of an engineering process. ("The Naked Time")

Guardian of Forever is discovered. This ancient bio-mechanicoid structure is a time portal. ("The City on the Edge of Forever")

The first tentative steps toward examining past cultures is taken by Starfleet. There are no set protocols on how to work in a past period. ("Assignment: Earth")

Using the sling shot method, the crew of the HMS Bounty retrieve two humpback whales from 1986 Earth and return them to current Earth.

Earliest known existence of the Temporal Board. This board investigates explorations into the past by Starfleet personnel. Their mission-determine the damage, if any, to the timeline and the level of culpability by the personnel.

Anthropologists are studying the building of the Great Pyramids of Giza.

~2870
Timeships are in operational. Operated by the Temporal Board, they are assigned to monitor timelines.
People can be transported by powerful energy waves to a distant past. These people can interact with people of the past. ("Future's End", "Relativity")

~3050
A Temporal Court is in existence. This court works in conjunction with time travelers of the past, present, and future (?) on the setting of protocols and regulations for space traveleing. Anthropological study is permitted.
Possibly-instead of sending people into the past, the temporal authorities send highly focused projections that exhibit the properties of a real person into the past. This could be in response to medical effects associated with persons who did physically travel to the past.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The time-traveling red-shirt (Note: He was wearing red and he died. ) said he was "more or less" Human. Is it possible that Daniel's was genetically modifed to handle extended time-travel without developing temoral psychosis? Myabe that was what he meant by being "more or less" Human. As for genetic modifications being illegal within the Federation, they may have made an exception by the time the 31st century rolled around.

Ehmm... Gary Seven, anyone?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
I'm also left with this question. Was the Enterprise suppose to be a ball of reckage and fire by now? If Silik was lying about the fact that the Enterprise was not supposed to be destroyed at that time then it's open season on continuety for Berman. He can do what ever the hell he wants at this point.

Assuming that Daniels was telling the approximate truth about the Temporal Accords and so on, no, Enterprise was not supposed to be destroyed. After all, Daniels didn't seem shocked to still be alive after Silik saved them; in fact, his mission demanded it. Given that all interviews with Berman and Braga mention them bending over backward to ensure that Enterprise doesn't significantly--and obviously your opinion of significantly may differ from theirs--violate continuity, it seems clear that these time-travel incidents will be handled in the "predestination" manner.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Daniels is from the 31st Century while Braxton was from 29th Century.
However, Daniels clearly states that those from the 30th Century does
not have the technology to send people back. So where does that leave
Braxton and (quoting someone else) "Timefleet"?

Alternate timeline, perhaps? After all, the various possible futures are equally valid until we reach the decision points necessary to choose between them.

Of course, this leaves us with the question of which future is supposed to be the correct one: Daniels'? Or Braxton's? Or maybe neither?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
Alternate timeline, perhaps? After all, the various possible futures are equally valid until we reach the decision points necessary to choose between them.

Of course, this leaves us with the question of which future is supposed to be the correct one: Daniels'? Or Braxton's? Or maybe neither?

Guys, guys, guys. Nobody ever said the Humanoid Figure is from the thirtieth century! They said he was from "an earlier century" relative to Daniels's thirty-first, not "a century ealier." He could be from later in the twenty-second century for all we know.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's me.

Sorry.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Now, granted we don't know what kind of weapon Silik had, but it certainly didn't seem to kill with the familiar vapourization thing we know in Trek, and not like the drilling/burning effect we've seen those weapons have on Archer's leg and the Suliban babe.

It was a particle beam weapon, T'Pol mentioned the thing Archer was shot with after he woke up. It was the same weapon that fried Daniels.

What's this, the 8th episode of the new series, and temperoral paradoxes are already manifesting themselves.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paradoxes starting to overload my brain!!!!!

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything overrides your brain, MiB.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps