Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NX-01 upgunned $$$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NX-01 upgunned $$$$$$
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So according to the official blurb on "Silent Enemy", the ship will be getting "phase cannons" after all. I'm sorta delighted it wasn't lasers, what with the well-known vacuum visibility problem. Still, not a very imaginative name for the weapons...

Despite the wording of the blurb, I guess the guns were already partially installed, and Reed is just making the final connections or something. Which makes one wonder: why didn't he do those a lot earlier? He seems enthusiastic about that sort of stuff, and isn't too heavily tasked with other kinds of work.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question is, will they be pulse- or beam-weapons? If in keeping with the phase pistols, should be beams. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've alreadt seen that the Enterprise has some sort of pulse weapon...so my guess is it'll either look really different or it'll be a beam weapon.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when are they going to invent quantum torpedoes on Enterprise?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

Right before they invent transphasic torpedoes.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! The Enterprise-is-too-advanced routine never gets old... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be worse, we could be talking about T'Pol being another Seven of Nine clone.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Seven as Data as Spock. Getting over it, we shall be doing.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, for all of Seven's Borg enhancements, she lacks the chest agumentation to compete with T'Pol. Seven didn't do any irrelevant fan-service scenes, either.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone obviously didn't watch season seven's "Q2" then.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The thing is, for all of Seven's Borg enhancements, she lacks the chest agumentation to compete with T'Pol."

Since when?

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

Perhaps you are confusing Phase Cannons with Phaser pulse cannons. They won't invent quantum torps and turn the the Enterprise into a pre-TOS the Defiant.

In any case, I see no reason for the Enterprise to be labeled "overpowered," especially for the era. Touchy political relationships considered, it is my believe that the Klingon K'tinga encountered earlier in the season could have easily disabled the Enterprise and just delt with that stupid alien-ship-with-holodecks-and-other-cool-shit as they saw fit.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: The Antagonist ]

--------------------
Move .sig!!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing is believing.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woof!

These "phase cannon" seem to live up to their name. Nothing un-phaserlike about them so far: they are emitted from nondescript saucer surface locations, they are beamlike but wobbly (closest analogy: Cardassian phasers), and they create unrealistic "mushroom cloud" explosions in vacuum... That's all very TOS, even if the FX is modern.

Love that Andorian thing which I hope will become a trademark for them: fighting with a pistol in one hand, a shoulder-strap-supported rifle in another. If you have limbs to spare, put them into use! Perhaps these guys also kick a lot? [Cool]

Those new aliens are still humanoid, but with long limbs and bubble helmets and "exposed brain" skulls, they sure look like 1950s Martians. Me likes. Is the face view of the same species? Or is it a Pak'mara after his razor blade slipped on a particularly bad morning after?

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if these are the phase cannons, what were the light bolts Enterprise fired in "Broken Bow"? Still another weapon?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps