Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NX-01 upgunned $$$$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NX-01 upgunned $$$$$$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh look, it's Species 8472. . . *squint* is that a Starfleet rifle there?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm...Andorrrrian....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, can't see the antennae, but hairstyle looks close, I guess.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link's been switched with a revised one... I snapped a few more shots of the Andorians just so you slobs could verify that they were indeed present without resorting to the old "looks like an Andorian hairstyle" bit.

Interestingly, I had been reading in a magazine interview somewhere that the VFX folks on Enterprise were rather proud of the fact that they went back and developed a brand new Phase Pistol Beam visual effect that looked more primitive than a 24th century phaser, with a "rougher" beam. To be honest, I've only been able to notice a difference so slight you've got to be looking for it to see it. But the phase cannons here do indeed have a nifty sloppier beam effect. The beam's reds also appear to be tinted more towards salmon than the red-to-increasingly orange of 24th-century phasers. As you can see, there do appear to be discrete emitters halfway between each pair of torpedo tube and further down.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have preferred if they fired something closer to the opaque bluish beams from TOS. I also find it strange that that other pulse energy makes one apparence in Enterprise, and is (relatively) soon replaced by a phaser-look alike.

And yes, that CG alien does look a Pak'Mara with a bad shave, or maybe E.T. with its eyes poked out.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the TOS phasers are more hotter (and more powerful) than the Ent "phasers". While the TNG and post TNG phasers are even more powerful, but given new advances in phaser technology were able to lower the temperature of the phasers.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they tried to work backward by "roughening" the beam, even though TOS phasers had smoother beams...? Hm...
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't really assume the TOS animations are "accurate." How many times did we see hand phasers shooting at weird angles, and goofy sparklies flying away from the target? Look at the cannon in "The Cage." Or the planet-killer in "The Doomsday Machine." The Enterprise's phasers were red and fired from the bottom of the lower dome in that one, to say nothing of the planet-killer itself! Even if one accepts the argument that Enterprise could have been designed more primitively than the original, it's hard to imagine anything remotely resembling the TOS phaser effect on a modern series. There's not really any reason for them to resemble it anyway, since Enterprise doesn't have phasers.

Personally, though, I wanted them to be blue. [Smile]

Oh, and re: the red pulse weapon. Those were probably the "plasma artillery" mentioned in the series bible. They seemed to have been a pretty weak point-defense type system only used since the torpedoes weren't online yet. The phase cannon don't replace them, they supplement them.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps