Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » So Wolf 359 research isn't dead after all (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So Wolf 359 research isn't dead after all
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this deserves a thread of its own, to spice up a summer spent discussing deathmatches between Winnie the Pooh and Paddington or Siegfried's midget fetish... Thanks for all the sources!
Something new
Something old
Something blue

So it seems the upper nacelles did move a bit from shot to shot (original placement in this new photo, Jein doing a Uri Geller on the port nacelle in the middle photo, and the twisted final version in the screencap). And the lower pylon is quite a bit different from what the Fact Files would have us believe.

Any photo-analysis wizards out there who could use these pics to determine the actual distance between the saucer and the secondary hull? Is there a neck there or not?

Do I see a hint of a ventral phaser strip on the secondary hull, just in front of the hand?

Hmm... Seems we can do a rather definite deck count of the saucer section now. [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like what you're seeing as the secondary hull's ventral phaser strip could be shadows from his hand and the hull. It looks a little wide to be a phaser strip, but someone with a keener eye would probably be able to discern more.

Looking at the rows of windows running along the side of the secondary hulls, you can clearly see that the bottom two rows go right up to the damage at the deflector dish area. From this angle, in my opinion, it doesn't look like much of a neck. I'd say maybe a deck or two at most. There may be none at all, but the contour of the secondary hull would put the windows on the upper part of that hull at odd angles with the windows on the lower primary hull (assuming there are any).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lower pylon seems to be different from what we thought. It looks more massive, I'd even say it looks like a submarine tower (Challenger). Sternbach used a Typhon and a Los Angeles-class submarine to build the Mars interceptor. If they used the tower of the Typhon to built the Challenger-pylon, maybe the used the other tower for this ship. I should correct my schematic then.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't look like there is much of a shuttlebay either. There's very little hull left aft of the pylons.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which raises the question, "Did this ship possess an aft shuttlebay *before* being battle-damaged or not?"... It would be a bit awkward to squeeze a bay in there, considering that major engineering systems must also be in that general area where the pylons meet. Perhaps the impulse engines were there instead?

I don't think the lower pylon is a submarine kit part - and it's very unlikely it would come from the heap of Sternbach/Okuda leftovers. This labor-intensive model was probably finished before S/O began modifying the Miarecki ships or building their own. Certainly the simple squarish Los Angeles class sail wouldn't fit as such.

In fact, it seems that all the pylons are closer to the original Fact Files image than to Bernd's otherwise corrected picture. The leading edges of the upper pylons seem straight when viewed from the side, instead of curving forward close to the hull. The true curvature is only in the form of a "gullwing" kink that doesn't show up in side profile. And the trailing edges of all pylons could well have those sharp angles to them.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Amasov - that the lower pylon is quite 'big' compared to the upper two. It's thick and chunky - yeah looks like ??"Challenger Class"?? 'pylony' things.

I don't think I've seen a picture of the PHYSICAL model with those up and down 'thick pylons'.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Timo that there shouldn't be a shuttlebay at the end of the ship. The upper pylons attach more toward the end of the ship than what was previously believed. And the lower, thicker pylon attaches to the entire length of the "shuttlebay's" bottom. With three separate conduits running through that section of hull, it would be quite foolish to have a shuttlebay there.

Also, this shot is exactly at the angle that the ship appears on the Enterprise's viewscreen (although it's upside down): http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/niagara-screen1.jpg

What I'd really like to know is why this ship wasn't seen any better than it was. It was certainly worthy of being seen up close, even if the Miarecki models weren't.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that when they build the models, they really have very little idea how they will end up being shot. In other words, they know the model will be seen close enough to need the full detail treatment, but I dount they knew that it would be barely visible in the corner of the screen. For all they knew while building it, the camera was going to do a close fly by of the hull...

Just a thought, but I'm guessing the art department doesn't get the director's specific thoughts as early as the time that the props are being built. Art guys are alwasy supposed to be mind readers...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, fascinating. Secondly, where the hell did that new Niagara photo come from!!??

Forgive me, I've been away...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNG DVDs.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at this screen cap, I'm thinking that the image of the ship might have been optical stretched. Not only does the hull look circular, but the nacelles look quite a bit thinner than they do on the model.

The the DVD show any other angles, even slightly different, of Princeton?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Nope. The frame I capped it from was actually just a scan of a still photo, which could explain the stretching. Either that, or my capture software is acting up on me.

None of the other Wolf 359 ships were showcased. Maybe with S4?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think he meant that it was stretched when it appeared in the episode. The picture of the guy w/ the model doesn't look stretched. The model looks the way it does in the Jein pic. And the guy doesn't look stretched.
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops. I've got to stop the posting when I'm half asleep... [Smile]
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I should have been more clear. I meant that Princeton, as she appears in the episode, appears stretched to make her appear longer.

So, I assume the new picture is the only one of Princeton on the DVD?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps