Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Reliant sketches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Reliant sketches
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I hear the new ST:Magazine has a selection of the early, "upside down" sketches of the Reliant...

Any chance of transatlanticizing the images?

And did the TWoK DVD have anything new in the sketch/design/general art department?

Timo Saloniemi

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DVD didn't have any actual sketches, other than storyboards, just some discussion of the design processes.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn�t it have modelpics?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As in the Enterprise and Reliant models? Yes. Both in the Magazine and in the DVD.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So tell us poor wrong-side-of-the-Atlantic schmucks (Europe [Big Grin] ), any pics on the dvd that�s not in the magazine? and if so, any scans to post here?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
So I hear the new ST:Magazine has a selection of the early, "upside down" sketches of the Reliant...

I thought that was just a rumor, the whole 'they but the image on Probert's desk and he looked at them upside down and liked it' just sounds too stupid.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
quote:

I thought that was just a rumor, the whole 'they but the image on Probert's desk and he looked at them upside down and liked it' just sounds too stupid.
the rumer i heard was that they put it on Harve Bennett's desk, not Andy Probert's.
IP: Logged
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy:
quote:
quote:

the rumer i heard was that they put it on Harve Bennett's desk, not Andy Probert's.
Anyway, I think it's not real. But feel free to show me I'm wrong. [Smile]

(BTW, I know why they deactivated quote-in-quote-posts at the Trekbbs. [Wink] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole "upside down" sketch thing isn't a rumor. The production team had to mail everything to Harve Bennett since he was working on a project overseas. When he approved the design, he wrote his approval on the sketch upside down. The production team didn't know whether or not to send it back and get his approval again (which would take too much time), or just work with the upside-down sketch. Obviously, they did the latter. There are differences though... the "rollbar" was added later by Joe Jennings and Lee Cole. Originally, there were two separate torpedo pods below the nacelles.

As for scans, come 'n get it...

http://home.att.net/~enterprise1701d/40/reliant-original.jpg

Sorry about the less-than stellar quality... the original sketch was very faint and I don't have much time to clean it up right now. But it's better than nothing. [Smile]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upside down makes more sense, really, at least initially. Nacelles go up, after all, unless you are a Klingon. (Or the Aurora, but the less said about that the better.) At least, up till this point.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, and very interesting. I like the upsidedown version quite a bit. It would make an interesting class itself....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Upside down makes more sense, really, at least initially. Nacelles go up, after all, unless you are a Klingon. (Or the Aurora, but the less said about that the better.) At least, up till this point.

To be fair, yout (we) are basing this on our experience at this point of ONE whole Starfleet vessel. Who decided what parts of the Enterprise were class specific, and which would symbolise a Starfleet vessel? obviously, they went for the saucer, but they dropped the secondary hull, which exists on almost all other SF ships.

The Romulan BOP also had nacelles going up.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the Reliant stayed that way, the Enterprise would look to be severely out-gunned as it appears Reliant would have 8 torp launchers. However, I don't see any phaser cannons in the sketches, so who knows if they would have been added anyway.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the scan!

Seems they had the design pretty much nailed down at that stage, save for the nacelle orientation (and pylon shape). Sigh. I was actually hoping for something more distinct, something that could be used as a new standalone class from the TOS movie era. But this simple nacelle flip would make no sense as a separate class - it would be just another example of silly fanbody cut-and-pasting with no engineering justification whatsoever.

The torp pods make me wonder about the story logic of ST2. The Reliant was supposedly assisting in science ops. One would expect a rather lightly armed ship, then. OTOH, story logic would also dictate that the baddie outgun the Enterprise. And not just because he's got the drop on Kirk thanks to that nasty evil surprise attack; dramatically, Khan should constantly and graphically have the upper hand because underdogs can't be villains and top guns can't be heroes in a Hollywood movie.

That's a built-in problem in the story, and one the modelers couldn't readily solve. The idea to put the superior weaponry in a separate pod was a good compromise. An even better one IMHO would have been to give the Reliant a weapon type the Enterprise did not possess, and put *that* in the pod. Something with a distinct visual effect, something Khan would (falsely) think would give him the upper hand. Perhaps a "rocket pod", one that could let rip with hundreds of small projectiles?

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy:
quote:
quote:

Anyway, I think it's not real. But feel free to show me I'm wrong. [Smile]

(BTW, I know why they deactivated quote-in-quote-posts at the Trekbbs. [Wink] )

Let's see if we can push this enough to make them disable something here!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps