Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that thing in the lower right corner of the first picture MUST be the Buran! Nicely spotted!

Tentatively agreed with the rest - but I think that in the last two pics, the ship to the left of the E-D (the one you say resembles the Phoenix) could simply be the Chekov again. And even seen from practically the same angle as in the first picture. The aft half of the saucer seems to be extensively charred, so as to be almost invisible in all the pics.

Timo Saloniemi

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think you might be right about the Chekov Iwould have to agree that it would have to be the buran

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it that no-one ever found the Buran in the lower right of the viewscreen before? I've never even seen a capture of that shot before...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weeeell, the original caps showed this jumbled mess of glowy bits that didn't lend itself to much analysis. Remember how we could barely ID the Melbourne for what she was? And she was centrally positioned and had more screen time.

And still, I believe that somebody did suggest that the lower-right collection of spare parts could be the Buran. Or the Chekov. I just can't find the thread right now (and it must be more than a year old...).

Apparently, the Buran is on fire between the aft hull and the lower nacelle. The upper nacelle has been chewed on. And the saucer is a mess, but still a round (or oval) mess. In the final pics, we could be seeing the same ship since the damage is identical (doh!) and since the position wrt the Kyushu and the Chekov is similar. Perhaps the fires finally ran out of oxygen?

Alternately, there are multiple ships of each class present, and the identical-looking damage is just a coincidence... Or a sign of Borg systematicsm in targeting ships of a certain class in a certain way.

Timo Saloniemi

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would you guys like a Gif image of the graveyard sceen that moves?

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if there's LCARS graphics and a travelling label system showing what ships are where, their NCC numbers, and what class they are. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Akira
Member # 850

i could do that [Razz]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could probably figure that out, too. I've got Macromedia Flash -- never learned it yet, but this would be a fun way to try! And I know that you can incorporate video into the Flash movies... how would THAT make for a good analysis? [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know if it was in the TNG Companion as well, but this info appeared in the TNG Tech Manual first. Sternbach or Okuda mentioned that some Jein-built ships had open lifeboat hatches, but didn't say which ones. I'm guessing either they were added to the Niagara and Freedom later on, or are on some unseen or indistinct debris (we know there's stuff like that, based on the Liberator shuttle and that eBay saucer piece over at Guardian of Forever).
That may be true, but I think that if there was a wrecked hull that was actually large enough to show the open lifeboat hatches (instead of just a random chunk of debris), then we probably would have known about it. Also, what "Ebay saucer piece" are you referring to? The Enterprise saucer from STIII?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ebay saucer piece" here:

http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/wolf359/bobwsaucer.jpg

More stuff here:

http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/wolf359/

And here:

http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/wolf359/wolf359.htm

Later!
Art

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent capture work so far. I've planned to get this 4th season DVD pack and use the clearer images to update the Wolf 359 screencap analysis page, but you beat me to it. I've used these great pictures and enhanced them a little to update the analysis, yielding intriguing new information - links and credits have been inserted. Many thanks...

Analysis here:

http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/screencap_analyses3.htm

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/wolf359/bobwsaucer.jpg

Well, that's the first I've seen of that. Did whoever is selling it claim that it's an original piece from BoBW? So, like, what credentials did this person have, and how would they have gotten their hands on an original filming model?

But let's for the sake of argument say that it's an original piece. We still don't know who made it, or what ship it's supposed to represent. It could be just a piece from the Melbourne that Okuda lopped off. Or perhaps it's the Tolstoy?...no, wait, I'm just kidding. [Big Grin] ...actually, this piece might be the object in the middle of the screen which everyone keeps thinking is the Liberator shuttle. Seeing as it's a Galaxy-type saucer, it seriously might be a good candidate for what's left of the Tolstoy.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The cut lines match the Melbourne's saucer quite well. Maybe that was done to make it look more authentic? Or it could be the real thing...

Anyhoo, I made a little gif of the first shot of the graveyard, it's a bit big, so it might take a while to load.

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Wolf1.gif

And here's one with LCARish labels showing what the pieces are. [Smile]

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Wolf1Display.gif

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... guess I was wrong. What a difference a little less fog makes... Great work both on the GIFs and the new analysis.

I have to admit, though, I must be blind 'cause I'm still not seeing the Buran in the viewscreen. Could someone point out where the nacelles and saucer are?

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom right hand corner of this image:

http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/bobw_dvd07.jpg

It's basically upright in this image, you can see the up/down nacelles, the battle-damaged saucer is just off screen.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps