Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how does the main gangway on the Enterprise-A work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: how does the main gangway on the Enterprise-A work?
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent views, "Reverend". That's pretty much h ow I always envisioned it to be. A largish sized debarkation/embarkation area that was sort of in the middle of both F & G decks.
darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Ok, lets try that again.
How about three ramps? one going straight on and up, the other two going too the left and down, and to the right and down (as you exit the airlock).

-

I think your pic is a bit out of scale. Take a second look at the Rec Room scene in TMP. That room ALSO is on the "rim" of the saucer, and that "back" wall I'd say is 25-30% higher than you have yours.
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, but I think the ramp up to F deck.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more try, this time to scale.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Reverend, that pic will make a nice reference for my cut-away model. I'm thinking of doing a gently sloping ramp up to the middle of the deck, with a turbo-shaft on each side of the gangway door, and a row of vending machines.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DW: The Rec Deck problem is one that Andy Probert knows about. That, and the turbolift car shaped like a Tylenol capsule (which -- being 15 feet high wouldn't fit laterally along a 9-foot-high horizontal turboshaft), were artifacts of the set designer he had to answer to. Andy said that if you can figure out how the hell to make the rec deck fit in the saucer rim, go for it. But I personally don't think re-sizing the saucer to fudge it is the answer.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shadow of the turbolift cab could be explained creatively by saying it really is powered by "turbines". Perhaps a set of semicircular airstream diverting vanes is tilted from vertical to horizontal when the lift cab changes its direction of motion?

Alternately,the cab extends airbags when in a vertical shaft, just in case the power fails and the grabbers don't grab...

Or then the transparent walls of those shafts have weird optical properties. The last remnant of the original, fairly psychedelic "Phase II" decorative style?

The Rec Deck problem could probably only be solved by saying that the back wall windows are computer-controlled displays. And that the windows we see on the saucer rim are in fact where all those private cabinets go - the ones where Kirk, Spock and McCoy had their little chat. The Rec Deck would then be somewhere on the ship centerline, aft of the bridge. Which is where the two parallel turboshafts would most logically be situated anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Who's to say that the horizontal turbo shafts are only one deck high? they could take half the above and below decks, or that might reflect the actual deck hight... That oval area at the top and bottom of the shadow might also be the 'tween deck space, for Jeffries tubes.

--------------------
The Woozle!

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
DW: The Rec Deck problem is one that Andy Probert knows about. That, and the turbolift car shaped like a Tylenol capsule (which -- being 15 feet high wouldn't fit laterally along a 9-foot-high horizontal turboshaft), were artifacts of the set designer he had to answer to. Andy said that if you can figure out how the hell to make the rec deck fit in the saucer rim, go for it. But I personally don't think re-sizing the saucer to fudge it is the answer.

--Jonah

Just to set the record straight, the elevator car height problem wasn't one Andy was aware of until I pointed it out to him as I was writing Mr. Scott's Guide. When I submitted for comment the drawing used in the book, he told me I needed to change it to the tall, capsule-shaped thing seen within the cargo bay elevator shaft. I explained why such a car wouldn't work, and he basically said, "yeah, okay."

Shane

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

- posted      Profile for thelastguardian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
That's pretty much how I always envisioned it to be. A largish sized debarkation/embarkation area that was sort of in the middle of both F & G decks.

As I understand it, the intent was that the gangway door was for ease of crew embarkation/debarkation, with a ramp leading directly up to Deck 6, where the crew's quarters are. In fact, I did a section drawing of the gangway door/ramp for MSG, but that item (among others) was cut from the book when it went from 160 to 128 pages.

Shane

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I talked to Andy about it, he said when he first went to work on TMP, he pointed the turbolift and rec deck problems out to the set designer, but was essentially shot down.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TheWoozle
Member # 929

quote:
Originally posted by thelastguardian:
In fact, I did a section drawing of the gangway door/ramp for MSG, but that item (among others) was cut from the book when it went from 160 to 128 pages.Shane

... AND THE OTHER 32 PAGES ARE AVAILABLE?

--------------------
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Shane Johnson! Welcome to FLARE!! WOOHOO! Hi.

ahem.

heh.

So we've had Mojo and Shane here now... can we get anyone else? (I'm guessing Rick or Mike might read - but will they post!?!) [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Hello Shane Johnson! Welcome to FLARE!! WOOHOO! Hi.

ahem.

heh.

So we've had Mojo and Shane here now... can we get anyone else? (I'm guessing Rick or Mike might read - but will they post!?!) [Smile]

Andrew

If someone in power is reading, could they please say that the Prometheus is actually NX-74913, and that NX-59650 was a ruse. [Big Grin]

Oh, and explain the whole TOS registry issue. [Smile]

thelastguardian
Member # 1017

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
When I talked to Andy about it, he said when he first went to work on TMP, he pointed the turbolift and rec deck problems out to the set designer, but was essentially shot down.

--Jonah

Ummm...no.

Actually, concerning the Rec Deck, that may well be true. Andy told me the same thing, and I do know that he and the set designer experienced some friction.

As for the turbolift, I remember that particular phone call quite clearly, as well as the silence on the line when I asked him how an elevator car 12-15 feet high is going to pass sideways through the nine-foot decks of the primary hull.

Shane

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps