Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Timo's Hitchhiker's Guide to the UFP Starfleet (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Timo's Hitchhiker's Guide to the UFP Starfleet
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got Charles to remove the old shiptext.zip, so that I could upload a newer version under the same name. Improvements over the previous versions:

-Mass figures for almost all Part I ships, from the DY ships up to the Cheyenne class (although most are still subject to deep self-doubt)

-Revised early SFC ships, especially Liberty and Verne classes, now closer to the original material (but not quite ENT-compatible)

-Some revised small craft, especially Falcon interceptors (but Part II is still in shambles, generally speaking)

-Some stupid typos hunted down

-Glossary slightly revised and expanded

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
But the Wright-Corder version wasn't explained as a result of USS Resolution re-refit - it was just something done differently to a couple of standard Suryas for the sheer sake of being different (ITRW, it was an excuse for Guenther to include some early fan blueprints that didn't look completely correct...).

SofSF co-author Aridas posted this at Trek BBS and explained that the W-C variant was based on a Reliant study model.  -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I wonder if that study model ever saw action...?

I'm glad SotSF did not postulate a subclass based on the larger "study model" (VFX stand-in?) in that picture, though. [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the big one is the work in progress on the actual reliant.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

*Bumpity-bump*

New stuff for the Guide, still at the old address. Early Spaceflight Chronology ships streamlined a lot, some changes in the small craft sections, and mass figures added to most designs, save for TNG era ships.

More importantly, the first guest entries are there. Wraith has done the Polaris heavy destroyer and accompanying Constant scout, based on the "A Time to Stand"/DS9 TM Constitution variant - and an exciting take on the Kirsanov large perimeter action ship that gets but a mention in "Ships of the Star Fleet". I'd love to see an artist's impression on the latter!

Is the text of the original "SotSF II" available online somewhere? I'm itching to finally enter Guenther's perimeter ships, yet there's no domestic outlet that would give me access to the book itself.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

Updated again, with new ships by Wraith and stuff. The newer version is shiptext2.zip, at least until the older shiptext.zip is removed.

Perhaps I should redo the 22nd century after all? There aren't that many established designs there, save for a couple of SFC ones that are too ugly to be used as is. I could go all NX-01 saucer-style, leaving the sphere-hulled ships be a distinct minority of wussy science vessels...

Timo Saloniemi

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about using some of the SFM designs, if Masao gives permission?

Overwise, yeah the saucers for warships, spheres for science vessels sounds like a good idea. The balencing of internal space vs subspace field efficeincy and all that.

Timo
Member # 245

I'm not sure about SFM. It's such a well thought out whole in itself - and somewhat at odds with the idea of trying to fit in the SFC and FASA histories. I guess I have a priority list of canon > background production material > printed fanwork and RPGs > self-made patches > online fanwork...

And I hate to take some, lose some, even though I already do it with FASA. I try to endorse SFC and SotSF as completely as possible, and I'd love to do that with SFM if it wasn't so darn much better than / different from the other material.

Timo Saloniemi

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, suppose so, especially the quality. A lot of the FASA designs especially are ugly!
Timo
Member # 245

Another update with more Wraith Stuff in there. This thing is gradually coming shipshape... TNG-era ships still need quite a bit of work. And perhaps I'll still do a revamp to accommodate ENT somehow.

Timo Saloniemi

[ September 26, 2003, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Timo ]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Timo wants to try to shoehorn the SFM ships into some other continuity, he has my blessings and my sympathy! Actually, James Dixon put some of them in his chronology, which really surprised me.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

'Wraith Stuff' (TM) [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And perhaps I'll still do a revamp to accommodate ENT somehow.

Noooo!! I cannae imagine how'd ya pull that' one off!
Timo
Member # 245

Pretty simple, really. I just

1) give all the unseen (Placido and the like) or unrepresentable (Castor, Horizon) conjectural classes saucerlike hulls,
2) demote the Daedalus and Mann to semi-civilian science vessels of inferior warp-dynamic shape,
3) mix the "particle cannon" and "phase cannon" nomenclature into an unholy fudge, so that they essentially describe the same FTL visible-in-vacuum beam weapon,
4) briefly introduce laser weaponry for the era between ENT and TOS, as a secondary armament superior to plasma guns but inferior to refined phasers (ships that have lasers will also have phase guns as their primary armament), and also remove all references to lasers from pre-ENT ships and go for plasma guns instead,
5) ignore the idea that transporters were introduced in the 2230s, and just consider that a "major upgrade" of Earth-indigenous systems from Mk I to Mk II,
6) do something similar to antimatter power production (or then the NX class will be an abandoned experiment, much like SS Savannah and SS Otto Hahn were for commercial fission propulsion, and the 2230s will mark the rebirth of the concept),
7) move the Tyme Barrier from warp four to warp five or six, and adjust performance specs of pre-TOS ships accordingly,
8) and curl up into a ball in the corner and sob uncontrollably for 4.7 hours.

That should more or less do it.

Timo Saloniemi

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...you've got some well-reasoned points there...and I can't argue with them...but you can't make me like it!
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps