Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp Delta pics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Warp Delta pics
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My drool is soaking my keyboard... This is like pr0n for geeks.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The upper-rear pose really makes her look like the Norway class.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put together a light-adjusted, to-scale orthographic composite if anyone wants it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very very drool-worthy. Gotta love that lifting body

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what those two box like details on the foreward part of the lower side are.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either Voyager-esque sensor palates...or possibly non-skid bottoms for retracted landing gear?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or lift engines. There are several such clusters across the belly, and they seem to feature pairs or triplets of roundish nozzleish things. If you squint right.

Of course, CoG issues would require some sort of vertical propulsion farther aft as well. Perhaps the actual impulse engines can vector down? Their construction certainly is intriguing, as if they were meant to slide in and out, or pivot around a vertical axis, or something. But tilting down is also a possibility.

The model seems to lack armament, but there are small squarish hatches in several places... It makes sense for an aerodynamic ship to have cover plates on the plasma and phase cannon banks. Did the ship ever fire anything else besides a phase cannon beam from the general bow area?

No nav deflector, either, but there are those four round yellow things below the bridge that need not be windows...

Finally, this is a big ship! For a reasonably sized bridge, it seems we need total length in the 150-180 m brackets. There's probably more volume inside the delta than there is in a Constitution saucer.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to hazard a guess that with all this talk about Lifting Bodies - that it was built with atmospheric flight in mind. Easier to land it sometimes than send down shuttles or use the unreliable transporter. It mightn't have even been fitted out with a Transporter.

To me, the side view looks Sabre-esque.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

My guess would be that is has a cargo transporter, but nothing that's approved for organic matter. Remember, that tech was brand new in "Broken Bow" and it might not have filtered down to the older ships yet, particularly since it would likely require them to make room for new equipment.

Even if the ship was designed to land, I've got to believe they have some kind of aux craft aboard. There's what appears to be a lauch observation dome on her belly like the one on Enterprise. Perhaps there's only 1 door instead of the four that Enterprise has.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, this does recall the saber as much as the Norway classes...

The greeblies on the bottom must be sensor palettes a la Voyager and basically everyone else. I'm also in favor of a shuttlebay of SOME sort being on the ship, though it's likely that they just didn't think anyone would be looking close enough - and they'd be right.

Mind you, these ships HAVE received upgrades too - when we first see 'em, they're blazing away with phase cannons as if they'd never had plasma weaponry. I see no reason why they wouldn't have torpedoes, fully-rated transporters (the Sarajevo from later on apparently did), and a slightly faster than warp 2 engine (given the implication that even old freighters could be easily upgraded).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random surface detail gets a purpose in life.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I favor the two boxes on the ventral side as the deflector. Just like the saucer deflector of the Galaxy.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The lack of a Big Brass Dish deflector is probably as solid evidence as any that this is the older of the two designs between this and the Intrepid style ship. Perhaps deflector tech hadn't taken that step yet when then Delta was built.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it seems to me as if the entire forward part of the superstructure appears to be the bridge. If you look at the window size, it seems like it's one deck, maybe two on the outside.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

-

Appears so. There are no corresponding windows on the Intrepid's upper dome, but there are on the NX-01's.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps