Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 1701 built on earth's surface? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 1701 built on earth's surface?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose there will be other starfleet ships in the new movie (Republic anyone?). Besides the chance to finally get rid of Okuda's "every TOS ship ever mentioned has to be a Constitution", I wonder if

Forgot what I wanted to say. Dammit. Never work in three browser windows at once... [Embarrassed]

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, an Abraham Simpson moment. Thought I was the only one who got those. [Smile]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I already mentioned April and that Kirk was, in fact, ten at the time. [Razz]

James T. Kirk: born 2233. (Supposedly on March 22, but that's not exactly canon.) And 2245 minus 2233 equals 12. [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, please don't go by the official Chronology without qurestioning the datapoints. *heh* He was "about 34" in the TOS Bible, and his birthday in 2285, fifteen years later, was his 50th (granted, script only, but that drove Shatner's performance and Myers' direction). Simple math, if this is 2245.

I wonder anew if this was some huge rebuilding of the Enterprise. New bridge, new engines, bigger crew complement... Maybe we're seeing the prevous big refit just before Kirk took command. That would jibe with Morrow's "twenty years old" line in Star Trek III. [Smile]

The only real problem still lies in the Chronology's placement of TOS and TMP. If Kirk was indeed born in 2233 nd "about 34" in early TOS, than TOS had to start around 2267 at the earliest. Counting back the other way, from his 50th in 2285, means he was "about 34" in 2269. And so on, and so on. Would have been better if the Okudas had hired a real researcher familiar with the Star Trek Expanded Universe to shore up dating referents. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your link is broken, Mim.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
[QB] [QUOTE]HOW MANY other Conny's are being built? or any other classes? [QB]

Technically, it's very possible that the Big E is the only one in construction there. I think the only other properly 'canon' (I do so hate that word) 17xx range vessel would the the Constitution herself, which may be already operational at this point, or in construction at some other facility. Showing other starships in the docks would probably diminish the 'wow-factor' of seeing the Enterprise under construction, I guess. I wouldn't expect any more starships in the surface docks.

But I would love to finally see some (2008 style) 23rd century contemporaries, that aren't cargo drones or weird TAS things, but proper Starfleet cruisers.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would absolutely wreck my brain would be to see the huge size of the Enterprise, all the work going into making her operational, all the slow loving pans...

...And then pull up into a crane shot to see several more in various earlier stages of construction, and tugs lifting a completed ship off the skids with "NCC-1700" clear on the nacelles and under-saucer. Impulse engines warm up and ignite, and the Constitution pulls away from the tugs. And a few seconds later, we get kicked in the chest as the pressure wave hits our vantage.

Or something. I think two or three graving docks of that size in San Francisco would be acceptable. With more for smaller designs, and some repair drydocks off to the side...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Your link is broken, Mim.

Copy & paste it. I guess TrekCore doesn't allow hotlinking anymore.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it take away from the uniqueness of the Big E to have other ships being constructed on screen. It adds to the realism that this is a shipyard. As long as the the other ships aren't the center of attention I don't think it would be a big deal.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TP bardum.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all a lot different than I always imagined it, anyway. I always figured the spaceframe and deck plates and hull plates would all be installed and assembled by large robotic arms, and the interior wiring and 'decorating' (ie computers, lights, ducts, pipes) would be done by workers. I didn't think that getting these futuristic metals together could be done with simple welding, at least not at a temperature allowing a human to do it safely by hand.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey.

has anybody know what this site is about? http://www.ncc-1701.com/

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

quote:
Registrant:
Domain Admin
Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Ave MOB 1209
Hollywood CA 90038
US
[email protected] +1.3239566000 Fax: -

Domain Name: ncc-1701.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Domain Admin
Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Ave MOB 1209
Hollywood CA 90038
US
[email protected] +1.3239566000 Fax: -

etc etc. So Paramount owns it, hence it's some kind of promo for the movie.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called "viral marketing." Look into it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously though, TP bardum.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps