Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 1701 built on earth's surface? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 1701 built on earth's surface?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell... that's new-ish...

I hope that this isn't a way to show the surface of San Francisco Fleet Yards. Then again we can't rule it out just yet til the film is out there.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are only so many ways you can make a corridor look futuristic, so I don't mind if they have gone with something a little more realistic. Surely we don't need tin-foil squares and brightly coloured walls? Mind you, if it's still under construction then they might be waiting for the interior decorators to come in with the big pots of paint in primary colours...

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pike's E was never as hippie-looking and colorful as Kirk's. I think the corridor shot matches the style of "The Cage" pretty good. BEsides, we don't even know when exactly we're going to see that image on screen, if ever. Maybe it's still missing the plates to cover those pipes on the wall. And it's basically black and white. It might look more TOSish with fancy lighting. [Smile]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, in some ways "The Cage" looked more futuristic than the later series. It was made for black and white broadcast, and the interiors were mostly grey.

I don't know (or want to know) anything about the exact setting of this movie, but if they're going by the commonly accepted chronology, what we see in the trailer would be 2245-ish, right? Unless it's a refit instead of the actual construction. And the first captain isn't Pike or Kirk, but April, and he hasn't been mentioned once. In fact, in 2245, Kirk would've been around 12... maybe this is where we will see his mom and dad?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't we seen enough teasers featuring material not included in the final film to now assume that just because the teaser for this film depicts the construction of the Enterprise (and is very much intended to illustrate that the film is an ongoing work in progress), it doesn't mean that we will see the same scenes in the finished film or that the film will be set in the same time period?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that's possible, but then again it could just as easily be included in the movie, and until we know for sure one way or another I guess it's up in the air. Orci's interview stresses that the construction site isn't Area 51 but he is not willing to state where it actually is, which would lead me to think that there's a plot point tied up in there somewhere.

If the teaser was intended to operate purely as a standalone piece of work, with no ties to the movie story and just intended to be presented as a flashy visual sequence to get people talking, would he be coy about aspects of the details? Well, ok, maybe he would just for the sake of it, but I just have a feeling that there's something there he couldn't reveal without going into something from the movie that he doesn't want to.

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
And the first captain isn't Pike or Kirk, but April, and he hasn't been mentioned once.

The bit in Orci's interview that interests me is this:

TrekMovie.com: But this does seem to fall into one of those canon grey areas where you guys made a call.

Roberto Orci: Exactly

As I recall April's only on-screen appearance was in TAS, and is that considered canon? I mean, outside of the books and chronologies, is there anything more concrete to support his ever having been there, or is he in a grey area the producers of the new movie could make a call on? Could be his coat's on a shoogly peg, canonically speaking! [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not THAT hip on A-shaped corridors, unless there's a REASON they need to be narrower on top. disguising power conduits, whatever. The "D"-shaped corrodors on the E-Refit did just that, including storage lockers and even a personal shelter(!) in some iterations. Nothing like that here. If anything, the narrower top makes it more difficult for two handsome actors to walk and talk side by side, without their handsome broad shoulders bumping into the walls all the time.

Moreover, what's with the spot lighting? I know darker = cooler lately, and the NX-01 corridors confirms it, but if you're running around on a spaceship in the middle of battle, you want to know where your feet are falling. Incandescent lighting ROCKS, people.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

Is there perhaps a structural reason? Could be the A-frame can handle more weight, stress etc (though as you say, it could just be to provide space at the top to hide power conduits, cabling etc). As for the actors I suppose it all depends how wide the A shape is - cold be big enough for two people to stand side by side (though that would make the ceilings quite high). Anyone here a real-world engineer that could tell us if the A-frame has any application beyond "looks interesting"?

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I'm not THAT hip on A-shaped corridors, unless there's a REASON they need to be narrower on top. disguising power conduits, whatever. The "D"-shaped corrodors on the E-Refit did just that, including storage lockers and even a personal shelter(!) in some iterations. Nothing like that here. If anything, the narrower top makes it more difficult for two handsome actors to walk and talk side by side, without their handsome broad shoulders bumping into the walls all the time.

Moreover, what's with the spot lighting? I know darker = cooler lately, and the NX-01 corridors confirms it, but if you're running around on a spaceship in the middle of battle, you want to know where your feet are falling. Incandescent lighting ROCKS, people.

Mark

The shuttlecraft's hatch is the same shape.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell TAS is not canon. I know I've seen discussions both ways on this point. Even here people have gone back and forth on it.

But there isn't an official source to point to that lists what is canon and what isn't. At least, I've not seen it.

The writers, however, have done a great deal of work in sliding in enough points from TAS that pretty soon it's all going to be canon.

That's probably what makes April a grey area. He's mentioned in TAS and the novels, yet those aren't officially canon. So if another writer wants to work him in at some point in an official movie or television series, then that'd be great.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TAS didn't become "canon" until Paramount started selling the DVDs. Paramount all of a sudden declaring it canon was just a marketing ploy to get supernerds like us to buy them. Paramount didn't give two shits about the animated series until it could make more money for them. Sound familiar?
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
TAS didn't become "canon" until Paramount started selling the DVDs. Paramount all of a sudden declaring it canon was just a marketing ploy to get supernerds like us to buy them. Paramount didn't give two shits about the animated series until it could make more money for them. Sound familiar?

TP bardum comes to mind (but that's covers everything from infromutials to QTV to buying Storm Force Bows for Diablo II & Exp, or my personal favorite, buying gold or magic for DDO, everytime i see spam when i play DDO)

Cannon used to mean something, but having learned my lessons from the Macross frantise (Macross II is alternate Universe but Macross 7's big ass Kijui Monsters is Cannon? Song Force? Ol' B-boy sings the bad old Spirtia into ACLU compliance?), cannon pretty much is written, just history to Victor Whores, by who holds the Copywrite for the property after all...

Lee: TU for the Link.

/me drags the topic back into Oncoming traffic...

back to the fact that the Ent Nil is being built somewhere in SF, i ask again: HOW MANY other Conny's are being built? or any other classes? Is SFSS a large facility? i'm really curious how indepth the makers of the film are thinking about this... and whether or not certain legal ships might be finally brought to life?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The welder speaks:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/21/teaser-welder-talks-trek/

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Yeah, in some ways "The Cage" looked more futuristic than the later series. It was made for black and white broadcast, and the interiors were mostly grey.

I always liked the colour scheme from "The Cage" better. [Smile]

quote:
I don't know (or want to know) anything about the exact setting of this movie, but if they're going by the commonly accepted chronology, what we see in the trailer would be 2245-ish, right? Unless it's a refit instead of the actual construction. And the first captain isn't Pike or Kirk, but April, and he hasn't been mentioned once. In fact, in 2245, Kirk would've been around 12... maybe this is where we will see his mom and dad?
I already mentioned April and that Kirk was, in fact, ten at the time. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Welding:

Still, that's cool. How many folks in Hollywood when they act a profession actually have experiance as that role requires?

Cool, Cool.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps