Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 14)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a REALLY cool link, thx!

I am working on correlating some scaling images using hi-rez caps, I just don't have any to share yet. One thing I will say is that assuming a deck height of approximately three meters and assuming the widest portion of the saucer section is two decks high, you do wind up in with a length in the neighborhood of 300 meters (between 290 and around 371 depending on how many decks you think she ought to have and making some allowance for outer hull thickness.)

If you haven't already, you may be interested to check out Bernd's take on the size of our new Enterprise.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the movie a few times now and concur on the 300 meters or so length-

-The shuttlebay seems exactly the same as on the Kelvin -and may even use the same CGI files.

-The big scale reference is the shot where they pan out of a bridge window- that definitely scales at 300(ish) meters.
Screengrabs!

-The "weapons balls" that are in place of the phaser mounts match those on the Kelvin, at the same distance from the bridge and everything- a larger saucer would make the (standardized?) wepons balls look much smaller.

-Bernd points out that the docking ports on a 300 meter ship would be only 1.5 meters tall but we did not see them used as docking ports at all, rather the side "docking port" was used as an escape pod launcher- the pod was popped out like a torpedo and only held on person- leading me to believe the port is more torpedo-hatch sized, rather than docking port sized.
Maybe this represents a bouy launcher of some kind, or possibly the new Enterprise has rows of escape pods in the "neck" that get rapidly launched away from the ship in case of evacuation.

-And if the Enterprise is 700 meters long then the Narada (a mining ship) is 6000 meters long or larger- dwarfing even a Tactical Cube.
Kinda overkill for a mining ship, dontcha think?

BUT IT'S AN ILM MOVIE: I dont know when ILM got so sloppy but there are a LOT of scaling errors in this movie- the scene where the shuttles first take off from Earth and fly by the Enterprise scales the ship at 1000 plus meters long!
Seriously, that's just assinine.

The Kelvin's entire secondary hull must be assigned to shuttles- Kirk's wife escapes on Medical Shuttle 35!
Even if 35 is the total number of shuttles on board, they have to fill that entire secondary hull!

[ May 20, 2009, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, Engineering was also in the Kelvin's secondary hull. Probably the same as Enterprise (It actually looked like a similar set too)

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is with those beams that make a "V" blocking most of the shuttlebay entrance?!!?

Talk about a poorly designed means of egress!
Why even have the landing marks if the inbound shuttle must be 5 meters above them to clear those beams?!?

Here's some more ship caps from Publsur at SSM:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/STXI/?action=view¤t=Sequence02.jpg
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/STXI/

Er...a saucer, with two ventral hung secondary hulls, two dorsal nacelles and a rollbar between the nacelles with what might be a torpedo pod.

OooooKaaay.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... Looking for jobs is boring and frustrating. Practicing graphic design skills however... So I kind of refuse to let the Enterprise be 700 meters long. And to this end have been doing some scaling research.

I mentioned above trying out the deck height thing:

-

Again this is assuming a deck height of 3m, and that the outer rim of the saucer section comprises two decks. I found a pretty good fit with the windows with a length around 311m. This results in an Enterprise with 20 decks. The shuttle bay remains problematic, as do some of the interiors.

For further verification I used some HD screen caps from the trailers to count some pixels. In that gorgeous shot with Kirk riding out to look at the Enterprise construction, there is a lot going on. Including some teensy-tiny workers out there on the scaffolding.

- click me for hi-rez!!

I started by measuring the height of the workers, and then an adjacent feature, in this instance: the radius of the bottom of the saucer and the height of the nacelle. Assuming an average human height of 1.78 m, that put the radius around 66 m, and the height around 24 m. Back to the drawing:

-

Which results in an Enterprise remarkably close to the original at 295 m. 19 Decks. This seems a tad dinky to me (especially considering all the shuttles we've got to cram in there!). The numbers I've come up with are hardly set in stone and of course there's ample room for error. But I do think this does tend to support the idea of our new Enterprise being a lot closer to the 300 meters than to the 700 m Monsterprise.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see they made their own version of the Miranda Class... Space Seed anyone?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, going back to this image:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/393/st09ships.jpg

. . . 2, 3 and 8 are quad-nacelles, 1, 4 and 7 are the tri-nacelles, 5 is the Enterprise and it's pretty-much impossible to tell what 6 is, correct?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazingly, 4 is just a shuttle... see here:

bX
Member # 419

I guess I don't. Errr, see where?

Got sick of flipping back and forth between the originals and the numbered blow-ups, so I hope no one minds if I combined them.

-
higher-rez version

And they aren't all nacelles, some of those are secondary hulls. Which is kinda ugly, really. Did we see these ships from the front? I'd assume each engineering hull has a deflector on the Morondas?

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey T:
I see they made their own version of the Miranda Class... Space Seed anyone?

Or Star Trek 12? [Razz]

-

(I modified it a bit to make it more Miranda-ish)

quote:
Originally posted by Andru:
Amazingly, 4 is just a shuttle... see here:

#4 definitely looks like a fullsize starship, to me. There's a saucer and at least one nacelle of a similar size to the other ships. Which image there shows it looking like a shuttle?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#5 is the Enterprise, obviously.

#'s 1, 4, and 6 seem to be the same design: the Kelvin-type saucer, but with newer nacelles under the saucer. One of these ships might be the "Mayflower."

#7 is the three-nacelled ship.

Here's where it gets tricky: #'s 2, 3, and 8 seem to be the two nacelled/two secondary hulled ships. However, the angles kind of almost look like they all have distinctions. #2 looks like it actually has four nacelles, and that they almost look like they're thinner in the front and get wider in the back, as opposed to the Kelvin-type nacelles that start thick and get thinner at the ends. #3 looks like the standard design, but #8 looks like it only has one secondary hull, unless the other one is hidden behind a nacelle.

Of course, the Kelvin-type ships may have distinctions as well, since the lens flares make it impossible to see them clearly. For all we know, all the eight ships might be different in one way or another.

Thoughts?

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake about #4, sorry... There is one shuttle in the last frame that looks like a docked ship, but #4 is not one.

By the way, in this frame, there's a shuttle bearing #43, I reckon it's Robau's shuttle?

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after having seen the movie, and looking at the schematic there, I'm now thinking that all 3 of the ships (2, 3, and 8) are the same 2 nacelle, 2 secondary hull class. Not the 2 nacelle and 1 secondary hull that I thought before.

Quick mock-up of the 2 nacelle, 2 secondary hull class and how it would line with the ships seen at the station.

-  -

I'd love to see some good schematics of these ships made from the blu-ray when it comes out.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, #8 still looks like it has one secondary hull to me.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And #2 has bumps on the ends of the nacelles, that none of the other ships have.

I'd also like to know what those small support ships look like. Man, this is FC all over again! [Smile]

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps