Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sector 001 Battle (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sector 001 Battle
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get back to the actual topic:
Graham Kennedy's site actually says:
... a fleet of five hundred Starships met the Borg ship at the Typhon sector and fought a four day running battle all the way to Earth. Starfleet managed to inflict significant damage on the cubes outer hull, but the Borg inflicted massive losses on the fleet in the process. By the time the cube reached Earth some three hundred and twenty ships had been lost, most of them with all hands.
(bold=originally yellow=canon info)

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The information about five-hundred ships should be marked as originally created.

It's not even close to anything remotely official, and is a pretty bad job of conjecturing anyway.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say no more than 100 ships and 150 would probably be pushing it. Heck, so would 125.

But of course, no number was ever said and all we can do is count how many we saw on screen...even though that won't give us a good number either because we could be recounting a ship.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always imagined something along the lines of 40-50 max.

I just can't imagine 100 ships being needed, especially with all of the knowledge and research on the Borg.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? Seeing that all of Starfleet's research was apparently worth squat, I don't see how you can say fifty ships would be enough and 100 would be excess.

(Yes, I realize that there is at least one argument to be made for a Starfleet advance in technology and tactics, namely that there was a battle at all, unlike Wolf 359. But there's a big difference between being able to survive a battle and being able to win it.)

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The escape pods maybe have left the battle site, well away from the Borg Cube. Look at how fast the escape pods left the USS Saratoga and the ones from USS Valiant and the Defiant. That could be the reason why the Enterprise-D didn't detect any life-signs.

As for the Endeavor and the Excalibur, the could have met other Borg Cubes prior or after Wolf 359. There was Borg activity before the tragedy and after. Since neither the show stated that either ship encountered a Borg ship at Wolf 359, we should not be saying anything definate about the Endeavor and the Excalibur. All we know is that those ships ran into some Borg problems.

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the borg have to do is assimilte someonw with knowledge on starfleets latest r&d and then starfleet will be in trouble.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's basically what happened the first time.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that wouldn't help them in any way...since the borg already have far more advanced technology that starfleet (okay...maybe not that far)

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Justin: Escape pods have no warp capability. It'd take decades for them to get out of sensor range. Someone had to have picked them up.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: What kind of starship could pick up the escape pods? Although, the possibility of shuttles tracktoring them seems plausible. Let's say the ship that survives Wolf 359 was the one that picked up the escape pods, but we don't know what class that ship is. But we don't even know how many survived Wolf 359, much else how many escape pods were launched and survived.

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Escape pods can survive for a very long time before being picked up. Take the Stargazer escape pods.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Picard's statements in "The Battle", the crew drifted in their escape pods (actually, Picard speaks of "shuttles" and not of lifeboats) for several weeks.

It is rather unlikely that the small pods we have seen so far would have independent warp drive. But the ones on the Saratoga are among the very largest. Perhaps they did have warp engines (shuttlecraft-sized but warp-capable nevertheless)? Perhaps lots of people ejected at Wolf 359, but all who had ejected in a non-warp-capable pod were soon killed or assimilated, and only those with shuttlecraft or warp-capable pods survived? That way, one wouldn't need to postulate a starship that would have rescued Sisko before the E-D arrived. (Also, towing of pods by warp-capable shuttles is possible, although I think we have never seen a shuttle equipped with a tractor beam.)

Then again, I see no reason not to postulate such a ship. When the ship sees that all is lost, it scoops up as many pods as it can and withdraws at warp speed, away from the doomed Sol system and under comm silence so as not to tip off the Borg about new assimilation targets. The Endeavour can be one such ship, just as the new Encyclopedia claims - although I'd rather it would have been a less powerful ship, lest it be suspected of deserting the battle.

Timo Saloniemi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saratoga's escape pod bugs me a little. It's placed in the section where there would normally be Shuttlebay 1. We see another similar escape pod, but most likely it could not have been from the Saratoga because it still needs that other shuttlebay. Also, because it came from what used to be a shuttlebay, I would surmise that the escape pod is two decks tall and would probabably have a small warp engine.

And look at how they filmed the escape pod ejecting. The entrance is from the starboard and Sisko sits on the port side next to a window. The pod ejects and we see that Sisko looks out toward the Saratoga's aft section. That would mean the pod was facing sideways (foreward section of pod faces Saratoga's starboard). But then the pod's starboard side faces toward space and that's where the entrance is. With that, there's no way people could board the pod from it's starboard side.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how the pod would be two decks tall or anything near that. It seems to be just like a standard shuttle - barely providing standing room. And the shuttlebays of a Miranda are truly cavernous, at least three decks high. There could easily be half a dozen pods like this hanging from the ceiling of each bay, while still allowing for normal shuttle operations in both bays.

As for the entry door vs. window dilemma... I see none. The model has port and starboard entry doors, but it's impossible to tell if there is a stern window. Let's assume there is one. The one we saw the Saratoga through was not shaped like one of the side windows, after all - it was much bigger.

Obviously, the Runabout set was used for the pod with minor modifications, so there were the side entry doors and the small oval side windows. There were also two blueshirted pilots facing forward (but the Runabout windows were covered - the pilots apparently had only viewscreens). Sisko was facing starboard. A view from bow to stern showed Sisko facing left, staring at nothing, while directly in front of the camera (that is, directly astern) was the big window that showed an aft view and the explosion of the Saratoga.

I guess the pods were lowered from the shuttlebay ceiling to the bay floor, after which people boarded from whichever door was most convenient. Then the pod departed much like a shuttle.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps