Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Cosmic Banana Peel Drive... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cosmic Banana Peel Drive...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is theoretically mind boggling - If you could get to the edges of observable space in less than an hour - say... does that mean you would actually see that part of space now - something that we could NEVER EVER seen... well not with in our lifetime... cause it takes billions of years for the light to reach us... So there could be something there - but we just can't see it yet... so as astronomers and cosmologists say they are peering back into time... doesn't that mean in a billion years - someone sent a strong enough signal from there (assuming they got there from Earth in under an hour) we'd see that signal in a Billion years... so for US they're 'back in time' but seeing as they have gone faster than the speed of light - for them - and the space that is around them when they get there... will be 'normal time'!?! so there cold be (for example) a huge thousand light year across beachball - for example) launched by a race... we could never have any idea that they ever existed until the light from them reached us in a billion years... (so could right now - that part of the universe be "imploding" or something - but we won't know about it for a billion years!?! does that mean that any warning that anything is coming towards us from Deep Space is limited by the speed of light?

Sorry that is a bit of a side track...

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simple answer to your question is: "Yes".

I leave it to the physics students to point out errors in your logic, however. You eally ought not to write while you are in a panic. It makes it hard to follow your train of thought.

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And use paragraphs too, they're very convenient.

I'm in physics, but we're studying slinkies. Er, waves, actually. But we use slinkies!

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me for being late at this, but according to the Star Trek Magazine, Slipstream velocity is in the warp 9.9999 range.

Some numbers:
(c = lightspeed)
warp 9: 1516c (not: 1024c)
warp 9.9: 3053c
warp 9.99: 7912c
warp 9.999: 181053c (about 4 months for 60000 lightyears)

I think Sevens enhanced Slipstream drive will probably add only about two or three 9-s at maximum to that number, since the warp scale isn't exactly linear.

------------------
"I'm captain Kenny Redshirt of the Miranda Class USS Killedalot, NCC-1313."
"I know it is an old ship, but..."
KABOOOOMM!!
"Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited February 23, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, sorry I just got all excited and wanted to get down what I was thinking instead of doing it all neat. I'll edit it now, at the moment a prac is starting!

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I'm not looking at any reference material now, so I'm not certain, but it seems to me that 1024c is warp 8...

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's 210. That's a bit more than warp 10 (old scale), and about warp 9 on the new scale. If Quantum slipstream drive only does that, why bother?

Just looking at the above responses, I think we can all agree that there are very few points of agreement regarding the Q-S drive . So far, all we've been able to determine is, with one apparently dissenting (or possibly just confused) opinion, it's fast, and ships that use it have to be streamlined or they can't use it very well.

If you have any episodes on tape that show it used, watch them and see what answers you can find for the following questions.

1. How far do they travel each time they use it?

2. Is it the same distance every time or is it different?

3. Does there appear to be some relationship between how long they use it and how far they go?

4. Does Jeri Ryan really need to wear those high heels or did the male crewmembers foist this item of apparel on her just because she's a Borg, and doean't know any better?

"Suuuure you need these! They'll help you develop proper posture and compensate for the graticuole particles!"

"The other crewmembers don't seem to require them?"

"Er, well, y'see, you need these because of your nanites. Yeah! That's it! The gravy-whatever particles will disrupt your equilibruim if you don't wear them!"

"Very well. I'll put them on."

[Voice from offscreen:] "Yesss! She bought it! Woo-Hoo!"

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 23, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About that warp 8/9 thing: Warp 9 is about 1516c, not 1024c. My mistake, sorry!
The above post is edited.

And we've seen the slipstream used 4 times: Twice by the Dauntless and twice by Voyager:

- In the first time that Voyager uses it, it appearantly has a maximum speed.
- The Dauntless was able to increase it's speed while inside the slipstream. Also it had a pre-programmed destination.
- Voyager was able to change the direction of the slipstream and the crew shut it down on their own when the stresses were to high.
- The second time Voyager uses it, it is a whole lot faster, but one mistake and they droped out of the slipstream and are out of control. Although you can stop the slipstream and just ease back into normal space.

It seems that you have almost the same freedom of movement as in normal warp. You can even program a destination for the slipstream, which is probably because at these high speeds you can very easely miss your destination.

To answer your questions:
1: Several 100 lightyears at the first time Voyager uses it, about 10000 the second time. The Dauntless made a jump of about 26 lightyears on autopilot, and the second time it went all the way to Borg space.

2: no

3: Not sure. There isn't enough information for that. But the Dauntless was able to increase it's speed while already inside the slipstream. So it hasn't got one single speed.

------------------
"I'm captain Kenny Redshirt of the Miranda Class USS Killedalot, NCC-1313."
"I know it is an old ship, but..."
KABOOOOMM!!
"Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited February 23, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

One last question then:

Is it faster than subspace radio? If so, by how many orders of magnitude (approximate figures are appropriate).

--Baloo

------------------
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we assume that the best it can do is 60,000 ly in three months ("Hope and Fear") or 240,000 c, then it's only mariginally faster than subspace radio which according to the Encyclopedia does 200,000 c (or warp 9,9999) and according to the TNG Tech Manual perhaps 180,000 c (or warp 9,997).

If we assume it can go 10,000 ly in 17 seconds ("Timeless"), then it's a whopping 1,86*10^10 c, or NINETY THOUSAND TIMES faster than subspace radio.

Not to mention that subspace radio seems to have a maximum range of 22 lightyears. Or more exactly, the signal has to be boosted every 22 lightyears at the very least to keep up that 200,000 c speed; unboosted signals from the biggest transmitters slow down to lightspeed at 22 lightyears, and may slow down from the maximum speed of warp 9,999 even before that range.

So if you want to send a message to somebody farther than a hundred lightyears away, don't bother with subspace radio. Write a letter, take your time, and send the letter on a slipstream ship. As Baloo noted, the longest delivery time inside our galaxy is three minutes!

That kind of a drive would probably make starships as we know them an outdated concept. Perhaps we would see the return of MAD: if you threaten me, I'll press this button, and WAY before the sound of the click reaches my ears, my missiles have reached your star system and annihilated you. Even your fastest computer cannot react to the threat fast enough.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps