Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Cosmic Banana Peel Drive... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cosmic Banana Peel Drive...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen the episode(s) with any vessels that use the "quantum slipstream". The only ship I have seen (for certain) equipped with it is the Dauntless (at Pedro's Ship-o-Rama). I have questions, some of them undoubtedly stupid, but since I need the answers, I'll risk it anyway:

1. What is the quantum slipstream drive?

2. How is it supposed to work?

3. How fast is it?

4. Does it "supplement" (or augment) warp drive or is it a replacement?

5. Does it require a different power source than the ship's matter/antimatter reactor assembly or does it run on "regular"?

6. If there have been other ships than the Dauntless equipped with the drive, what visual elements do they have in common (shape, light-emitting thingies, etc.)?

I may have more questions later when I get the answers to these. I would like to create a (or some) ships equipped with that drive, I hesitate to render any Q-S drive-equipped vessels until I know what chararacteristics they ought to have.

Thank you.

--Baloo

------------------
"The mark of a truly great mind isn't whether you're right or wrong. It's how well you can weasel out of a jam."
--Cecil Adams
Come Hither and Yawn...

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: This is what I think it is:

1: Similar to the transwarp conduits seen in 'Dark Frontier', but the color is light blue (Also stated by Seven that it was similar).
If you haven't seen DF: It is a tunnel, a bit like in Star Wars and Sliders (early season version, but straight ahead )

2 and 6: The deflector emits the <speak=Paris>whatever it is</speak>, which is visible as a light blue glow on the full surface of the ship. Then it is emitted as a tunnel when you are at maximum impuls speed. We've seen Voyager do is as well. The 'nacelles' are probably used for changing the cource of the tunnel.

3: They said 60.000 lightyears in 3 months, but it is probably even faster.

4: Replacement

5: The Dauntless had something different, it was not stated what it was, but it wasn't matter/antimatter. Voyager managed to do with some modifications to the warp core.

I myself have created several ships that use what I call a Quantum Warpdrive, which is supposed to be a Borg/Dauntless type combination.

------------------
Gravity sucks!

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited February 16, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The slipstream drive that the Voy crew built was actually alot faster than the one on Arturis' ship. When they used it in "Timeless" they made it all the way to the outscirts of the Alpha Quadrant in just a few minutes!! It would've taken them 3 months aboard Arturis' ship.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager used the Slipstream twice!
The first was the same as Arturis' ship. Tom said they were at the maximum, and they barely got to Arturis' ship.

The second was an improved version made by Seven, and that one was indeed a lot faster.

------------------
Gravity sucks!

(-=\V/=-)

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't the borg assimalte this drive? Now why aren't the wreaking havoc around the galaxy with this new technology

------------------
For all you Fighting needs
http://www.fighters.net

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

That's where it gets scary:

Upto the episode where the Quantum Slipstream is introduced ('Hope and Fear')we always saw the Borg warp field with the 'standard look'. Dark Frontier is the first episode after 'Hope and Fear' that shows the conduits...

------------------
Gravity sucks!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Seven anaylized the Slipstream aboard the Dauntless, though, she seemed fairly unimpressed and even said that it was similar to the Borg's transwarp conduits.

In fact, as early as Descent, TNG, the Borg were using some sort of Transwarp tunnels to and from the Delta Quadrant.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I KNEW someone was going to mention that...

Were talking about conduits (temporarly) made by SHIPS here!

And I thought that conduit was only a few hundred lightyears long at most.

Phew.. Sorry about sounding blunt.

------------------
Gravity sucks!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

"SOME SORT of Transwarp tunnels".

I didn't say they were the SAME THING! I simply meant that the Borg were already familiar with similar technology.

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, Arturis' quantum slipstream drive is in fact similar to Borg transwarp, but since Seven didn't seemed impressed by it, it was probably slower that Borg transwarp. The Borg may still have a use for it though, but only as a backup or a supplement. Certainly not a replacement.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, quantum velocity is equivalent to warp 9.9999999999..... and so on - never reaching transwarp but coming pretty damn close. Also, in "Timeless," Voyager's core is enhanced with Borg technology and utilizes something called bemonite or benomite crystals, which are apparently more difficult to come across than dilithium.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the slipstream does not use normal space. It is a foucused tunnel of sub-sapce energy. At least that is what i think it said in the star trek magazine.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 'Timeless' Voyager flew 10,000 light years in 17 seconds. At that speed it would take them 170 seconds to go across the galaxy. That is just under 3 minutes. I wonder if the Federation will get anything better than warp drive, maybe it will be slipstream at this speed.

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

At that rate, you could get to the Andromeda galaxy in a bit less than an hour, and reach the edges of observable space (provided they're at 35 billion light year's distance) in something like 2 years.

------------------
"We adjust to anything. That�s the good news, and that�s what keeps the bad news coming."
--James Lileks
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 18, 2000).]

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's probably why if they develop slip stream as a new propulsions system to be used like warp, it won't go this fast. It would probably go as fast as it did in 'Hope and Fear' which would be 1 month to 20, 000 light years (beacuse it would have taken them 3 months from 60, 000 light years away).

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps