Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bradbury class - non canon topic (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bradbury class - non canon topic
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK through a link at Bernd's page I found this site... his models are very good - and out of all the crud out there on the net that I've seen as an idea for the Bradbury class - I would be so happy to see this as the Bradbury class. Have a looksie:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markusn/art/uss_mareja/uss_mareja1.jpg

cool eh?

what do you think - it has the right balance between Intrepid and Galaxy I think.

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem is, it's just an Intrepid with different nacelles! The Bradbury was still in prototype stages when it was mentioned. I would think it would look at least a little different. Why would Starfleet build two ship classes almost exactly the same. (Please don't bring up the Miranda/ Soyuz thing. That could undermine my arguement ) I just don't like kitbashes all that much.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, there is no canon proof of what any part of the Bradbury looks like. It doesn't have to look like an Intrepid, a Galaxy, or a cross between the two. And most likly doesn't.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Markus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it is indeed just an standard Intrepid with different pylons and nacelles, nothing more. It's supposed to be a Dominion War rush job. Here's the full story...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markusn/art/uss_mareja/

Well, the REAL reason is I wanted to use the Intrepid nacelles in the kit for another project, but I didn't want the rest of the model to go to waste. Also the pictures were taken before I had painted in the windows, hence the BS about extra armor plating.

I'm glad you like it, Andrew, though I admit I never really thought of this model as a possible Bradbury. I'm actually kinda partial to the Bradbury designed by Bernd's ASDB group.

BTW, this is my very first post on Flare. Woo hoo! Now, how do you do those little yellow smileys?

Markus

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a plain smiley...use ": and )"
For a winking smiley...use ";" in place of ":"
And I think for a smiley with an open mouth: replace ")" with "o"
Okay, so I get a yawn instead!

Testing...

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited February 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited February 24, 2000).]

Laz1701
Ex-Member

The first Bradbury design was the one I created six years ago (which seems to be the one upon which this one is based), and I can tell you that although I meant it as an intermediate step between the Galaxy and Intrepid, it's not an Intrepid with different nacelles. The entire hull is new, as well as the nacelles. The saucer is closer to the Galaxy saucer than the Intrepid, only it's stretched out to Intrepid proportions. And it's got two impulse engines at the back of the saucer, port and starboard. I created this design just after seeing a sketch of the Intrepid in TV Guide just before Voyager premiered.

There's a schematic of the Bradbury at the Starship Schematic Database site, but this one is just an attempt to duplicate my design using an Intrepid hull and Ambassador nacelles.

My Bradbury

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any fan design for the bradbury is almost 100% wrong. All of the fan ideas hold as much weight as every other one - none.

And Laz, your comments regarding "your" Bradbury are pretty concieted. Markus never said he based his idea of anything from "your" idea, which isn't all that imagnative either.

quote:
"but this one is just an attempt to duplicate my design using an Intrepid hull and Ambassador nacelles."

Sure it is. He's duplicating your design. Totally, and I suppose he should pay you royalties.

Jesus, how is this a copy of your design, and not an Intrepid model with Galaxy Nacelles because he didn't want to waste the kit.

Someone needs to get off their imaginary high horse.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 24, 2000).]

Laz1701
Ex-Member

Conceited? I don't think it's conceited in the slightest to defend one's work. I get email all the time from people asking me why I've taken the Bradbury design they've seen on other sites (such as Starship Schematics) and changed it, because they have no idea I originated the design.

And while we're on the subject of "conceited", let me tell you something else I'm quite miffed about but which you never hear me complaining about. But I'll do so now. And that's that people all over the net think they can take my drawings from my site and use them on their own sites without any permission or acknowledgement whatsoever. Not to mention all the kitbashes using nothing but parts of the ships I've drawn. These sites don't even have the courtesy to provide a link to mine - where they got the images in the first place. Hell, even Fabrux started distributing a ship kit which is nothing but a collection of my parts without ever asking for permission first. I've been drawing these ships for over six years now, and they're all over the net, and some people even think my site is newer than other sites and uses drawings made by other people.

I've never complained about any of this because there's not much I can do about it, and I don't want to be tight-a**ed like Paramount. But it's getting ridiculous.

Conceited, huh? I think not. Just fed up with the lack of simple courtesy and careless violation of the copyright notice on my site.

------------------

Laz1701
Ex-Member

Also, don't put words in my mouth. My statement about duplication of my design using an Intrepid hull and Ambassador nacelles doesn't refer to Markus's model, but to the schematic at Starship Schematics.

Another example of what pisses me off are the various original designs I created for conjectural classes which people have taken from my site, blown up and reduced to grayscale, and then submitted to Starship Schematics under their own names.

Lastly, you can dispense with the facetious "your" design when referring to the Bradbury I drew. The quotes aren't necessary, because it *is* my design.

------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defense of one's work is fine. In fact, it's admirable.

BUT (and a big f*cking one at that), there's a difference between defending your own work and condeming people because THEIR work SLIGHTLY resembles yours.

I see similarities between both of your pieces. Do I think his design is in anyway a 'rip-off' of yours? No way.

Nowhere did he say "Okay, this is Laz1701's design, but an Intrepid hull and Galaxy Nacelles."

------------------
-Mark Twain

Member # 239

I agree with your attitudes towards people who give no credit to your work and do not feel the need to give proper credit.

Hell, that's the reason I don't create ships anymore. (Well, not online.)

The only thing I was upset at was the fact that it seemed you were deeming Mark's design as nothing more than yours, slightly altered.

------------------
-Mark Twain

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah - can I just say my little comment has been blown ALL out of proportion - I just wanted to say the I really liked Markus's ship - hey Laz - I think your idea for a Bradbury - is on the mark - a step between Galaxy and Intrepid... I'm just delighted to see a spiffy really touchy physical real life model of it - or something close... whats wrong with Starfleet R&D saying - "hey! - we worked out the "Intrepid" saucer section - but we're still having trouble with the whole 'variable' warp nacelles - I think if we just use pre-existing Galaxy nacelles - we can get a fair idea of how the new 'Intrepid' saucer section will pan out..."

I think Laz - you do a great job with your ships - and its a pity that those ship kits out there never credit to you - at least in a Read Me file in the zip file... I never knew you did those ships until I saw your site linked from here, at Flare.

Once again - NO one knows what the Bradbury looks like - but what is wrong with "In a different world" having Markus's ship as the Bradbury - if it ever got onto screen - I wouldn't be complaining - I'd rather see that ship than the kitbashes we saw in DS9 or the new FC ships - it makes MUCH more sense... Remember Starfleet ships used to be about Technology unchained - which Markus' ship is - not something COMPLETELY new like the Steamrunner or the Saber...

Markus - I just want to ignore your 'backstory' if you will just for my own fantasies of seeing this as an actual INTENTIONALLY built ship by Starfleet - not an ugly kitbash.

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Laz1701
Ex-Member

Okay, maybe I jumped the gun, and if so, my apologies to Markus regarding the inspiration of his design. But this has been a very touchy subject for me for quite a while, and I've kept quiet about it because 1) I didn't want to come off as tight-a**ed, and 2) If I cried foul every time a site swipes one of my drawings or designs, I'd have little time for anything else. I suppose these two Bradbury threads finally set me off, whether or not there was reason for it. I'm very proud of my Bradbury design and like it the most of all my conjectural designs, and every time somebody thinks it's based on similar designs they've seen which came later, it really bugs me no end.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to belittle the effort put into the above ships or arguments, but...

Isn't the Bradbury class actually a rather boring one to create models of, or argue about? As far as we know, the Bradbury was an unsuccessful prototype. We've never heard of that class of ships after the single reference to the NX-registered initial vessel. Other off-screen ships like Renaissances seem more fruitful venues for development, since they pop up several times in the Encyclopedia.

And a ship with NX-72307 (higher than anything except the runabouts, the Defiants and the Intrepids) might already have been testing Sovereign-style or Nova-style tech instead of the Intrepid stuff that already was in actual production by NCC-74656. A really radically experimental ship might be more interesting than an evolutionary step between Galaxy and Intrepid.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To throw my lot in with Timo, I've always envisioned the Bradbury as being a very odd and imaginatively designed ship. Not that that means anything, I suppose.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps