Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wild Excelsior refit idea (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wild Excelsior refit idea
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if the Excelsior refit is used the same way as the Keldon Class? For special (Section 31?) missions?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the Enterprise-B using as a Section 31 ship. The Enterprise is to popular and well-known to do secret missions.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not the Enterprise B, but all the Excelsior refits that came after it.

------------------
- Buffy

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why use an excelsior class ship. Surely it be better for section 32 to use a ship that will not be noticed.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that's the beauty of it, nobody suspects an innocent excelsior.

"But I'm telling you, it was the butterfly, the butterfly did it!"- Principal Skinner

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

But meanwhile it has 4 impulse engines and enough firepower to be a reasonable match for the Defiant (well, at least the Lakota had).

But I mentioned in the original thread that it is much like the Keldon class. Both are overpowered versions of more common ships, and neither the Keldon Class nor the Excelsior II are seen in the Dominion War, but only in special (undercover) missions. See what I mean?

------------------
- Buffy

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could also say that when these ships are seen, they are hanging around major fleet bases instead of venturing into deep space (the eventual attack on the Founder homeworld notwithstanding). Perhaps all the additions drastically shorten the operational range of the vessels by increasing the total mass, so that in the end, the ships are only good for defensive missions near starbases?

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

"(...) Who knows what they've done with the warp drive!"

- O'Brien, about the Lakota.

------------------
- Buffy

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why use a Lakota type ship? Why not a more modern ship like the Defiant or maybe even the Prometheus. Perhap for Section 31, those ships might have a cloaking device and even subspace weapons.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Prometheus would be THE perfect Section 31 ship. Give it one of those illegal "phasing" cloaking devices to allow it to pass through solid stuff and it would be the ultimate espionage ship. I don't know about those subspace weapons though. Those are as illegal as the cloaking device but they're a little TOO dangerous to be used on a practical basis.

------------------
"Impossible is a word humans use far too often."
-Seven of Nine

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda makes you wonder, would all 3 sections have a cloak?

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Hmmm, that's a good one. I would put'em in all three.
Maybe stick to normal cloak, just to be sure.

Even with normal ships they can bend the rules. Romulan cloaking device anyone? Or do you prefer a couple of tricobold torpedo's?

------------------
- Buffy

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go for the lovely metaphasic shielding along with ablative armor on the side.

Well, the Excelsior refits could just be hanging around near Thollian Space just in case it collapses.
Oh, by the way, I was wondering where is the shuttlebay onboard the Excelsior refit ships? I looked at the cutaway from the TNG Movie Sketch book and saw that it was where the impulse engines were!!!
------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited July 12, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a mistake. The shuttlebay is on the back end, just like in any other Excelsior.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it may not be a mistake. Those could be two additional shuttlebays. The impulse engines were moved to the side (those big bulges on the saucer)

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps