Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wild Excelsior refit idea (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wild Excelsior refit idea
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ent-B refit ships were built as a counter measure for the then-new fire-while-cloaked Klingon BoPs. Until the new sensor technologies where small enough to put in a regular sized Excelsior, or the Klingons gave up their fire-while-cloaked experiments.
The Lakota refit style ships where possibly built by the same specs, but with other sensors.

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh: Please give a source for that theory.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless I'm mistaken, it's from the JD Chronolgy. I remember reading that theory also, but forget exactly where.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fact is, they were just finished refitting the Lakota just before it was send out to intercept the Defiant.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mention of it in v12 of Dixon's chronology. And Dixon is unlikely to have invented such an explanation, so any reference to it in the chronology would also tell us where it came from. Diixon's chronology claims that the E-B hull additions were re-inforcements because the Excelsior was class was getting damaged in battle. This seems to have come from Jackill's Volume 3.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when Starfleet found new, stronger material they went back to the original design. Also newer impulse engines were used in the later batches of standard Excelsiors...

Hmmm... That sounds plausable, but still doesn't explain the Lakota...

------------------
- Buffy

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-B was a stronger design than the Excelsior prior to the stronger material refit. So if you use the stronger materials on a stronger ship it would make naturally stronger than the 24th century Excelsior. Then the Lakota had weapons and shields upgrade to make it withstand a Defiant in battle.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Prakesh posted seems like a modification of the theory at the Daystrom Institute Tech. Lib. http://members.tripod.com/~adeadend/index2.htm
However, that theory only applies to the Ent-B stytle refit and its labelled as pure speculation on the site anyways. There's also no connection between the Ent-B refit and the Lakota style refit on the site as well.

BTW: If you're doing espionage for Starfleet, why even bother picking a Starfleet vessel? Why not a vastly upgraded commercial freighter, or even a Klingon or Romulan ship that comes with a cloak anyways?
------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited July 13, 2000).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Becuase a freighter would require too mcuh work to kake it into the perfect Section 31 ship. Starfleet ships already muc of what Section 31 requires, weapons, shields, long range tranporters, and high warp capability.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my write-up for the Excelsior refit in UP3 was this:

Enterprise-B design was meant as a more "normal" Excelsior then the transwarp testbed. They featured a lot more room for systems the testbed couldn't carry. But after design flaws, and after the transwarp experiment failed, it was found that the original design could perform the job much more efficently. As for the Lakota, that was a small run of ships based off the Enterprise-B design, but used as an "exploratory cruiser" version of the Excelsior. Better sensor suite, more scientific rooms inside the ship, etc.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited July 13, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds nice. One of my UP3 things is the Yeager. Yeah, try to explain the scaled-up Maquis (why Maquis, my God!) components...

My opinion: for undercover missions, take Defiants and Intrepids. Small, fast, and they can kick some serious asses. But mainly: FAST! The Prommie might do it too.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would an intelligence gathering/covert ops agency need its own ships anyway?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a good question....

I, however, don't have the answer

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There a government orginization in the US called the NRO. National Reconissiance (sp?) Origanization. They had their own U-2 spyplanes back in the day. I think Air Force pilots flew them, but they had NRO painted on the tail. I'd say it would keep more people out of the loop and help limit the number of possible leaks.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

How was the Bellerophon classified in "Inter Arma..."?

------------------
- Buffy

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps