Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Titan Design Winner (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Titan Design Winner
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comparison between Akira and the new Titan:

http://img433.imageshack.us/my.php?image=akiravsluna9sd.jpg

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait - what length is used for the Akira in this comparison? It's not 464m?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the Titan has oversized lifeboats or that Akira is waaay too small.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the same comparison image as posted on the SCN? Anyway, this is not to scale, it just allows to compare the design features.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... oddly, the Titan design didn't invoke quite the same gag reflex it did the first time I saw it. Maybe that means it's growing on me. I still dislike it though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ACK!!! They've posted some of the runner-up entries! They're starting to make the winner look a whole lot better.

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those runner-up entries are certainly inspired. In particular, I'm curious what all the orbs built into the hull on this entry would have been for. Observation domes? Energy swirl thingies?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspired by some of Reverend Jim's brownies.

They all..... "PULL VACUUM"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Ridings design the best, in the broad strokes, though he does take a few liberties away from established TNG design. But it's not just a Nebularized Sovereign, which is doubtless what the contest people had in mind from the beginning.

The Dukes design is just wierd. Without saying what those nodes were, it doesn't carry much weight to the concept. Sensors, perhaps? Titan was supposed to have some uber powerful sensor nets.

And the Brown design, while closest perhaps to established dogma, is just clunky IMO. Trying to TNGize a Connie has never really worked. Plus, the guy who designed it has reportedly been a rather sore loser, since the winner was announced.

I must admit though that I'm disappointed this is all that Trek fandom could come up with... Some of the unsubmitted designs have been very impressive. If only the time existed for some of those to make it! And I also shudder to think what painfully bad designs, or even joke designs, had been submitted...

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Observation domes? Energy swirl thingies?

"INtarm1x Crisstalz 4 teh ship"s 5 M//AM engines!!1!"

Were these, like, the only 4 entries they got? I can't believe that noone came up with anything better than this. The Riddings one is kind of cool, but totally wrong era. I see it also incorporates Batmobile Shield Technology from the future.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Agreed. Had the Ridings design been done with Tourangeuau's styling and detail (which is clearly the best of the lot IMO), and ditched all the fanwank tech, it would have fared much better.

Given these four designs, I'd have chosen the winner as well. I'm just curious as to what other qualifying designs looked like.

Mark

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Brown design isn't too bad. The biggest thing I would change would be the primary hull. I'd definitely try to smooth out and integrate that nose and superstructure on it a bit more. I don't think the secondary hull is bad at all; it's just that big, honkin' nose.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Some of those runner-up entries are certainly inspired. In particular, I'm curious what all the orbs built into the hull on this entry would have been for. Observation domes? Energy swirl thingies?

The designer said:
"the blue "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) are potential science labs/stations and/or sections with new scientific equipment to be used in the Titan's deep space exploration missions."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think the secondary hull is bad at all..."

I liked it as soon as I first saw it. On the Excelsior.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh snap!

The Brown seems to be an attempt (or at least makes me think of an attempt) to give the Defiant a secondary hull.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps