Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Titan Design Winner (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Titan Design Winner
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(incidentally, does anyone have recent news of RW? I've just been looking at what few of his designs are up at starshipschematics, I always liked his style)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yeah! Something like that unfinished concept in Herb's post.

More of Vektor's design can be found on Trekbbs

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4864997&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean this one? That's from a video game. Armada 2 I believe.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Weber.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Aegian (misspelled) Class is from Star Trek: Armada II. Not big enough to the Luna Class. But I like the design.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too far from the Titan's design specs of 350 meters long either.

Fuck this Titan is a baaad kitbash- looks like something from Starshipschematics.net in fact.

Worst of all, if placed next to an Akira, it just looks mis-scaled instead of a seperate design.

This was my idea...one which I'll probably get off my ass and finally finish building now that it's too late by far.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conspiracy time! I forward the notion that the contest guys had something decided upon - in general - for the winning design. That being, analogous to the Sovereign, but visually different to differentiate them on screen. The Reliant to the Enterprise, for the new series.

And so they got it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the winning design overall. I just think that it was the design that best matched what the Pocket guys already had in mind.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that is it to an extent. Also the fact that the Sovvie and the Akira are the two favorite fanboy ships, as it were, makes a cross between the two all the more appealing if you're trying to sell books.

OK - when does the competition forum here on Flare become public domain? WE DEMAND TO KNOW YOUR SECRETS

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Lee
Member # 393

Secrets? The whole thing fizzled, that's the secret.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO way- I posted extensive schematics of revolutionary designs that shocked and amazed all.
that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Then it's just as well your honesty is accepted without question, and you are widely held to be the paragon of truthfulness.

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody of a copy or link to the design rules that the submissions were supposed to follow?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ship:

U.S.S. Titan, NCC-80102, Luna-class. The Titan is a midsize Starfleet vessel, approximately 450 meters in length (larger than the U.S.S. Voyager, smaller than the Enterprise-D), with a crew complement of 350. Titan's hull configuration is comparable to other established Starfleet vessels.

U.S.S. Voyager, approximately 344 meters

[Additional: USS Akira - 464 meters]

[Additional: USS Excelsior - 467 meters]

U.S.S. Enterprise-D, Approximately 642 meters

The Luna-class is Starfleet's newest-generation long-range explorer, a starship not built specifically for combat, but like the Constitution-class of the previous century, a vessel designed for a long-term multipurpose mission into uncharted space. Equipped with conventional tactical systems (deflector shields; phasers; quantum torpedoes), Titan also boasts state-of-the-art propulsion and cutting-edge scientific equipment, as well as being a testbed for experimental science tech not yet available on other classes.

The Titan is manned by the most varied multispecies crew in Starfleet history, with humans taking up less than 15% of the 350-member crew. The diversity of the crew is intended to facilitate stories that will explore the ways that beings of different cultures, biologies, psychologies, and physical appearances learn how to work together, or fail to, depending on the circumstances they encounter. Titan has eight shuttlecraft of various sizes.

The story behind the Luna-class:

The Luna-Class Development Project was initiated in 2369 in response to the discovery of the Bajoran wormhole, and originally conceived as leading a planned Starfleet wave of deep-space exploration in the Gamma Quadrant. The project was spearheaded by Dr. (Commander) Xin Ra-Havreii, a Starfleet theoretical engineer at Utopia Planitia. Field testing on the prototype U.S.S. Luna was under way by 2372 in the Alpha Quadrant, and construction of the fleet was scheduled to begin the following year. Unfortunately, contact with the Dominion and the subsequent outbreak of hostilities mothballed the project indefinitely, as Starfleet redirected its shipbuilding resources to the production of vessels better suited to combat.

Upon the war's end in late 2375, Dr. Ra-Havreii correctly judged that the Federation's cultural psychology would eventually shift back toward its pre-war ideals, and pushed to have the Luna-class revisited as a major step toward resuming Starfleet's mission of peaceful exploration (even though the class would no longer be assigned exclusively to the exploration of the Gamma Quadrant). Construction of an initial fleet of twelve Luna-class vessels was completed by 2379, and the Titan was offered to William T. Riker, one of many command officers eager to put the strife of the last decade behind him.

The Luna-class fleet:

The ships of the Luna-class are all named for moons in
Earth's solar system:

Amalthea
Callisto
Charon
Europa
Galatea
Ganymede
Io
Luna
Oberon
Rhea
Titan
Triton

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Then it's just as well your honesty is accepted without question, and you are widely held to be the paragon of truthfulness.

I'm adding you to my resume references.
I'll just make up a suitable last name for you as no one ever checks references anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Adama!

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps