Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Titan Design Winner (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Titan Design Winner
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one actual real likely explanation for these four piles of steaming buffalo shit. The whole thing was a complete publicity stunt, they never had any intention of using a real person's design. They came up with the Akirasov concept themselves, and when stuck with having to come up with some "runners-up" they just threw together whatever came into their head.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet conspriacy is that they always wanted something to be the Miranda to this day's Constitution, or Nebula to the Galaxy. They simply picked the closest one. IMO, even the highest skilled entries wouldn't have been chosen if they had the traditional arrangement of any Enterprise.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
There's only one actual real likely explanation for these four piles of steaming buffalo shit. The whole thing was a complete publicity stunt, they never had any intention of using a real person's design. They came up with the Akirasov concept themselves, and when stuck with having to come up with some "runners-up" they just threw together whatever came into their head.

And then sent four people out to pretend to be those people?

I just don't think they gave people enough time. And I'm thankful I never finished a design if this is the kind of treatment it would get.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind, I guess, but conspiracy theories? Over the cover of a Star Trek novel?
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boh: well, I guess it would depend on whether your design sucked or not, wouldn't it? And, why would they have to get four people to pretend? Do you know any of these four? Does anyone?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am down on Star Trek novels, is maybe my thing. And you kids, get off my lawn!
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Boh: well, I guess it would depend on whether your design sucked or not, wouldn't it? And, why would they have to get four people to pretend? Do you know any of these four? Does anyone?

The winner posts on both SciFi-Meshes and TrekBBS and the designer of the ship with the blue orbs posts on TrekBBS. The blue orb ship was seen there before the runner up designs were posted.

And considdering my skills with ship design, it would likely not have made it to the runner up stage. I guess my stuff is worse than "steaming buffalo shit" Thanks for enlightening me.

Lee
Member # 393

Oh. Oh! You're one of those. I'm sorry, I didn't realise we had any of you left around here. Gosh, this does take me back. Why, it's been years since we had anyone who took themselves - and Star Trek - far, far too seriously and whose every response was couched in this rather, stiff formal style, as if treating such a hallowed subject with my typical irreverence was somehow blasphemous. Quoting my entire previous post with every reply semed to a common trait - I'm curious, why do your kind always do that?

But, hey! Never let it be said I was discriminatory. I take great pride in making my insults as personal as possible, I view myself as a skilled craftsman whose every slight is individually tailored to the target's specifications. So. . . Let's see now. Hmm: registered 18 months ago, 600-odd posts, say 30 a month - very good.

Now: PULL YOUR FUCKING HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS! Item: these winning/running-up designs are shite. Your stated position on other people's opinions was:

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
And I'm thankful I never finished a design if this is the kind of treatment it would get.

. . . to which my pretty-fair-all-things-considered response was, paraphrased, not if they were any good. Note no reference was made to the quality of your own ship designs, or any assessment of your overall skill in design/presentation. So, no - I'm not saying your work is worse than theirs (to be honest, I don't see how anything could be worse than theirs! We're a pretty loyal bunch here, anything creative that gets submitted for our assessment receives feedback that's, overall, positive in nature). Why not submit what you got and let us judge for ourselves? To whit: put up or shut up, old fruit. 8)

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there is a pretty broad range of what "positive in nature" entails.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Lee
Member # 393

I'd take it to include "negative but helpful criticism, couched in an encouraging way."

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd take it to include "negative but helpful criticism, couched in an encouraging way."

uh, who REALLY cares? they (TPTB) still lose if you don't BUY the books... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still shopping around for the best method of emphasizing text?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NIXED!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I think I've over reacted here and I'd like to say I'm sorry.

I moderate in a forum where the designer of the Titan is a member and as such its my job to make sure people are civil to each other there. I guess I took the remarks here a bit too seriously after a day of bashing people on the head elsewhere over the same topic.

This isn't really worth this level of confrotation to me and I'd like to forget that this arguement ever happened.

If I've come across as "One of those" I am truely sorry. I certanly don't think Star Trek is the be all and end all, I'm just more used to a more diplomatic style of criticism when it comes to artwork and I don't see the need to be insulting.
I suppose I'm a sensitive person and I don't see why people these days seem to go out of their way to be hurtful.

Lee
Member # 393

Because the perpetrator of that. . . thing. . . isn't one of us. Let's sacrifice him to our Go-o-od! If that had been your design, and it won, we'd have been much nicer. And proud of you. And a little envious. 8)

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps