Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Anyone know of a Tellar emblem? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Anyone know of a Tellar emblem?
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. It was a meant to be sublight, multi-generational explorer with an end goal of establishing a settlement. Other images of the ship, along with a 3D model are here.

I never liked the use of Roman numerals on a design that had been assigned to the Tellarites, so I tried to subtly blend the majority of the swan logo with an interpretation of the interesting Tellarite lettering Mike Okuda (or maybe Geoff Mandel?) made up for ENT.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
"W-w-w-w-w-w-elcome t-t-to T-t-t-telar!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
well, there was this emblem shown in one of the movies which correspond with Franz� sketches:
my tellarite ships page

That was used for Enterprise? Well, as has been mentioned, it's unlkely that an alien race would use an emblem that incorporates the Earth/Western name for the homeworld star. I suppose the use of a swan might be an amazing set of coincidences, but I don't buy it. If 61 Cygni were the home of a human colony, then I could see it.

Perhaps, in a spirit of galactic harmony, Earth's new emblem incorporates a gleep, a small amphibious rat-like creature native to Tellar, whose name has been given to the Tellar constellation including Sol.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Perhaps, in a spirit of galactic harmony, Earth's new emblem incorporates a gleep, a small amphibious rat-like creature native to Tellar, whose name has been given to the Tellar constellation including Sol.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the gleep star in "The Immunity Syndrome"?

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. On those Roman numerals, is |X|I supposed to be the same as 61 somehow? I mean, is this |X| thing a standard alternative to LX outside the Porcine Star Empire?

Timo Saloniemi

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be LXI That would be 61. With the lines at the top and bottom, it all blended together.
aridas
Member # 1051

Interestingly, to the ancient Etruscans, from whom the Romans learned their numbering system, the IXI would have been 100.

It's hard to believe Franz Joseph intended these crests and flags as being applicable to Tellar or Andor. He believed the "Plato's Stepchildren" / "Who Mourns for Adonis" folks had exported humans to Alpha Centauri -- maybe he thought the same for the Tellarites and Andorians. But that would leave them looking pretty alien, even for Greeks (though Circe did have a thing for turning men into pigs...). The direct association between those graphics and the Andorians/Tellarites wasn't made until (I believe) Geoff Mandel in either his Officers' Manual or the Star Trek Maps. I agree it is a lengthy stretch to make them work for that purpose.

You can either abandon them altogether, adapt them to Andor and Tellar by altering them, or reassign them to Earth colonies in those star systems and come up with something wholly new for Andor and Tellar.

In which case the gleep is looking like a leading candidate for the Tellar crest.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about incorporating this design [Cool]

-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It needs nacelles and a deflector...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
It's hard to believe Franz Joseph intended these crests and flags as being applicable to Tellar or Andor.

If that's true, why did he choose those particular stars? I wasn't active in organized fandom back then, but I've always assumed that astronomer fans had assigned those stars to the respective races and that FJ used the stars after learning about them through his fan daughter. if the stars weren't intended to be the homeworlds of the big three alien allies, whose were they intended to be?

Anyway, here's the map I mentioned earlier.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Masao/2155map.jpg (844 kb)
This is supposed to show interstellar routes and system ownership before the Earth-Romulan War. This was done for my website, so I've stuck to my view of the available technology and have completely ignored Series V. During this time, the fusion-powered ships were limited to trips of about 2 parsecs without midflight refueling or severely limited payloads. All the stars are real with their true positions and distances. Because humans started colonizing later than did other races, they found that many nearby systems to the west, south, and north were already claimed, and there was a stellar desert to the east (from where the Romulans were soon attack). So, they started expanding upward (in the z-axis). I've used the UN emblem for Earth, the Enterprise Andor emblem, and FJ's Vulcan pennant (I intend to redraw as the emblem alone). Tellar's emblem is pending (I'm thinking that something to reflect the twin stars of the home system might be good).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maso, where did you get that map? If you made it yourself, what maps did you use as references? I've wanted to make my own map of the local neighborhood. I've found a few sites, but not a whole lot of information.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, I seem to remember in a couple fandom & possble RPG sources something about the Tellarites buuilding a massive orbital tether. I'd buy it as it keeps in line with the idea that Tellarites have an engineering bent to their nature & culture (almost as much as the arguing).

I mention it only because I could see something like that being on their logo as an interstellar body, maybe the tether rising up in forced perspective to a point of nothing with the twinned suns.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: That's an interesting idea, except that I'm envisioning it as a giant inverted wang. (Shows where my mind is, I guess... but then, I just watched Austin Powers the other day...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Try watching Euerka Seven sometime- flying surfboards shaped like a giant penis....

Ah, Japanese pop culture.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps