Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ragnar Class Science vessel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ragnar Class Science vessel
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about this Sketchup thing, but is there no way to smooth out the wireframe? Other than that, I think there needs to be more lighting in that side shot; don't know if you can change how the object reacts to light, or if you can just add more lights...
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Dan's words. It is too dark.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

ragnvald
Member # 2082

- posted      Profile for ragnvald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i know, i fixed it but i havent posted the new one yet, here it is:

Photobucket

ragnvald
Member # 2082

- posted      Profile for ragnvald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as to smoothing the frame the only way to do that is to go and make each segment (the triangular shapes) smaller nad adding more curvature to it, i could but i havent had the time yet, ill work on it
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to move the nacells farther forward up the pylons. The ship looks like it is dragging them through space. other than that, it is nice looking.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your 3D app have any kind of smoothing groups function? As on the nacelles and saucer, with the right bits assigned the right smoothing groups they should look a lot smoother. The pylons and secondary hull would need more faces though, as a smoothing group across them would create weird shadowing/highlighting and "pinching."

A mesh smoothing modifier would probably help a lot as well, if your app has it. You need to make sure that any hard edges on your model are chamfered, so that if you apply a smoothing modifier it doesn't destroy the general shape and make it look round and blobby.

I like the design though.

ragnvald
Member # 2082

can recommend any programs
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 3dsmax but there's a limited version called gmax, which is still a free download from Here. The rendering engine on it is very limited though from what I've read though, and it has very limited material support, and import/export functions. So you will probably have to find some free import/export scripts, so you can get your model into gmax to edit it and then export it out again to get a decent render of it.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sketchup is a bit limited with its smoothing, but it can be done. Select the entities you want to smooth (make sure you select the edges - just the faces won't work), and go to Edit>XXX Entities>Smooth Edges, you can have some control over how those look. I'm not sure how it will interact with Kerkythea, though.
ragnvald
Member # 2082

Photobucket

How does the new nacelle pylon assembly look?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better imho.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't listen to Dan, he's a tard & a philistine. Go back to the original.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

ragnvald
Member # 2082

After trial runs on the Mjolnir, the latest Ragnar variant, it has been found that the new "Warp Field Dynamics" cause undue stress on the space frame, this resulted in the loss of the Mjolnir and heavy casualties among the crew. The data recorder revealed that the plasma shunts that had been redirected to allow for the altered configuration, were under extreme pressure due to a concentrated flow channel and resulted in a loss of plasma containment, causing a violent explosion destroying most the port side of the Mjolnir's engineering hull as well as causing significant damage to the primary hull, recovery teams are on site to determine if the vessel is salvageable

I have entirely too much time on my hands

Would it perhaps be batter to allow for a compromise, say, move the pylon heads(nacelle ends) back a little on the nacelles yet keep the over all look the same

also when i redid the nacelles i kinda shortened the ship a little, but hey, i has more volume now [Smile]

any who, here is the "Mjolnir"
Photobucket

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

You typed that text on in MSPaint, didn't you? [Wink]
ragnvald
Member # 2082

yeah < [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps