Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Federation Hopper design I'm stealing from Rick Sternbach (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Federation Hopper design I'm stealing from Rick Sternbach
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little while ago someone posted this link over on TrekBBS, which the man himself said was built for a Pilot pitch that he and two others put together that, needless to say never made it to our screens (see the thread here for details.)

Anyway, the design struck me as looking very Federation/Starfleet, in a utilitarian way that I find very appealing so I'm adapting (stealing) the design to be the Federation Hopper that's been mentioned occasionally.

In the long run I plan on adapting it to two scales. A half scale hopper, the kind that was used by Starfleet to transport platoons of tactical forces over short distances (like on Ajilon Prime) among other non-military functions and a full scale hopper which is closer to the original design's purpose as a mobile surface science and exploration platform. The kind I imagine is used by Federation colonists to further explore their new world once the transports and Starships have gotten the main colony established and then moved on.

So far I'm just roughing our the major hull components, trying to get everything in roughly the right proportion.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Looks like something from Voltron 'And I'll Smoke a Bong, Err, Form the Head!'...

[Big Grin] Really, don't know what to do with it (but i'm not a good judge of Misl. Star Fleet utility vessels. It seems ok but maybe a pic-in-action would help me vision it (I had the same problems with the VF-25 Messiah from MF before i saw the Deculture episode in Decemeber. once i saw the fighter in action, i spent several days flogging myself for being so weak...)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just think of it as an LCAC without the rubber skirt mixed with a giant Snowcat type of thing. Don't expect it to do any barrel rolls or have an exciting music video made about it's exploits as it'd probably move and function more like a Chinook than anything else.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it's pretty much just a landing craft in it's smaller configuration.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Not exactly. A landing craft just goes from a mother ship to a beach head and back. This is more like a CH-47 Chinook or C-130 Hercules (with shades of the AC-130 Spectre) in terms of it's battlefield role or if you like a bigger and more powerful UH-60 Blackhawk. In a nutshell, once dropped from orbit it can operate independently of the mothership's support and would be mostly used to move assets (personnel and equipment) to wherever they need to be, while giving limited fire support.

In it's (much more common) civilian role it's more like a mobile command and exploration vehicle. Mostly used by established colonies to make long (trans-continental) survey missions on largely unexplored worlds or to simply act as a versatile support vehicle.

The BIG version is effectively a mobile base of operations. One of them (along with a bunch of auxiliary craft) can be dropped on an uncolonised world after a starship has done an initial survey and a crew of about 20-40 people would spend a year or five doing a detailed exploration right a cross the planet ahead of full colonisation.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So,in vehicle terms, it is along the lines of an LAV, with the multi-usefullness of a HUMVEE.

I think I understand what you're getting at though.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Kinda-sorta. It's a hopper. [Wink]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what happened to the old hopper? I was quite fond of that one.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I took it out behind the old paint shed and shot it.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say it ain't so! D:

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Was the old one any good? Might it be usefull as another type of design, in another role?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It looked OK from the side, but as a whole I could never get it to work from any other angle. Lesson leant.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you plan to leave off the flying sub.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yeah, don't worry about that, it'll be appropriate to what we know of Federation equipment. I'll probably replace that ray like craft with an Phoenix/AWACs type sensor pod, though I think the larger version will still have a landing platform on the aft section, for skimmers and shuttles.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks too much like a tank, i.e., a ground vehicle. It doesn't look like something that flies.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps