Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x03 "Air, Part 3" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x03 "Air, Part 3" $$
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, see I do have a weak spot for Tim Curry... So that'd be OK with me. While I do love the idea of there being no big-bad, Rev, I just can't see them doing it. It seems apparent this show was patterned on BSG, and so they almost have to have their Cylons (Borg, Goa'uld, Wraith, Replicator, Ori)

Watched the ep over again. I guess all we get about the fate of our two missing crewman (Curtis and Palmer) was Eli trying unsuccessfully to raise them on the radio through the open wormhole. No word on if they made good on Greer's line about getting them another remote. Kind of weird that was all.

Was again frustrated by them not using the Kinos to find the lakebed. Watching these humans, so ill-adapted to desert travel, trudging up and down endless dunes while scores of little floating balls lay dormant aboard Destiny, just waiting to flit effortlessly across the sand or better yet be hurled high into the sky. I wasn't quite yelling, but there were some substantial sighing.

A friend who hadn't watched any Stargate (save the film), checked it out. He had what I felt was an interesting comment. That it was like watching two different shows with serious, complex and menacing Robert Carlyle and then skippy, goof-patrol Eli bounding around and apeing for the camera. My friend didn't make it through the 2 hr pilot. Dropped out around the star map scene.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someone wandered into the little ship and accidently ejected?

They could have brought a second kino in. While that second group of soldiers went searching Eli could have dialed back that other address and sent through a kino.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect there was a scene or shot cut there somewhere that would have given you a clearer idea as to what happened with the other team, but remember that at that point the episode was all about the ticking clock and a bit with Eli fiddling with the gate and Kinos would have killed the pace.

Regardless, the show looks to be of the serial persuasion so I'm sure they'll revisit the fate of those two in a short while.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that sending out a bunch of cameras across the desert would have helped them find anything. They kept stopping in random spots to test the sand. Obviously, they were not able to find the right location by sight.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
having not seen the show yet, what's the deal with the ticking clock? Do they have to make it back to the ship within a certain amount of time before it's out of range of the gate? or is the clock related to their air supply?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as the Destiny jumped out of FTL and dialled the desert planet, a 12 hour countdown started. When the countdown was up and the wormhole was disengaged it jumped back into FTL.

There's not explanation (yet) why there is a 12 hour time limit. Since Rush said they're essentially running on auto pilot, my guess is that it was pre-programmed by the ancients for some automated survey system and to keep the ship on a schedule so it doesn't get stranded in normal space.
Of course if they had access to the bridge or control room I'm certain there's an override to the clock and the autopilot but for now they can only access a limited area around the gate room so they're more or less at the mercy of the ship's programming.

There was a ticking clock for the air too (though not quite so literal) in that they only had enough fresh air for a day (prior to gating out) before the CO2 levels became lethal.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anybody cares, Itunes has Air parts 1 and 2 up for download for free, so if you want to grab some screenshots of the ship, now would be a good time.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This board really doesn't have many pirates on it, do it?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iTunes store sucks. Believe it or not, Apple, there are people in this world that do not have a credit card and have no interest in having one. [Razz]

Oh, I'm pretty sure we're all pirates. However, I can watch SG:U on my own TV Friday nights so I have no need to download. For once, Canadian TV is in sync. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
As soon as the Destiny jumped out of FTL and dialled the desert planet, a 12 hour countdown started. When the countdown was up and the wormhole was disengaged it jumped back into FTL.

Which would mean the address would no longer work. So.. you can't gate to the ship while it's moving FTL... then how's anyone ever supposed to dial the ship? And how did our heros connect to the gate in the first place? Does it drop out every time a wormhole tries to connect?

(I don't knwo why I'm asking.. I'll have to wait until it come out on DVD to see it anyway...)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, that does raise some interesting questions. We know that when they gated to Destiny, the ship was stopped as shortly after they gated aboard the ship jumped into FTL again. However, given the nature of the ship the gate network is tied into it in such a fashion as it has the same address no matter where it is (unlike Apophis's ship which took on the address of the planet it was closest to). This theory has merit in Eli's suggestion that the address is in fact a code and not an address at all; this code sends a signal through every galaxy's network until the Destiny is found, at which point it drops into normal space and a connection is made.

This also explains the rather large power requirements as the signal went through several galaxies (has anyone done an analysis of the map scene to determine just how far away they are?).

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be difficult to do so as the camera cuts away to reaction shots after showing the ship pass through several galaxies. (Suppose we could count beeps if we wanted, though.) Think it's safe to say that they are at least far, far away.

I like the idea of the gate system being used to track down Destiny's location: its address being more of a code.

Can these gates can be dialed manually? Don't recall having seen that with Pegasus gates. They may not have the remote, but maybe Curtis and Palmer aren't as effed as we thought...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Actually the ship jumped out of FTL just before the receiving gate started dialling, but yes, the properly coded incoming address probably triggered the jump back to normal space (for lack of a better term, since it wasn't actually in hyperspace to begin with.)

Of course that would mean that (so far as we know) the only gate capable of dialling Destiny from outside it's own network has been destroyed, so if they do eventually gate back to the Milky way, they can never return to the Destiny since even with a ZPM they'd never be able to generate enough power. That's assuming of course that all gates have the capability to dial the 9th chevron, but then why else would both the Milky way & Pegasus gates all have them?

Small point, but did the episodes have an "wormhole travel" animation? I don't remember seeing one at all.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The only wormhole travel animation we get is when Destiny is in FTL flight.

As for the power issues, I'm thinking that tapping the planet's core was the only way they could get enough; however, I'm sure a fully-powered Atlantis could dial Destiny.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall all the details from their initial attempts to dial the nine-chevron address (or, "address"), but is it possible that the reason it wouldn't work is that the ship was in FTL at the time?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps