Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Who Became What? (Transformers Movie) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Who Became What? (Transformers Movie)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. If I remember correctly, the toys had the red piledriving robot as Rumble and the blue piledriving robot as Frenzy. The cartoon flipflopped this. I don't know how it was in the comics.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one jet - Thundercracker I think as a toy and the lamborgini - the red autobot. I also had the big-assed white and red autobot jet... forgot it's name - wasn't in the cartoon much.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sideswipe.

Jetfire / Skyfire.

Which was a Macross. And looked very different in the cartoon.

Also,

FIRRIB. Is what the nerds say.

But, I guess, the Dreamwave comics are RIRFIB.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transformers!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than meets the eye?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robots in disguise.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was banned in the Federation? [Razz]

And how does Galvatron fit into all this, exactly, anyway? (Yes, I know, I should've watched some more 80's cartoons...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Takes deep breath*

Prior to 2005, Optimus Prime was leader of the Autobots and Megatron was leader of the Decepticons. In 2005, Megatron leads an attack on Autobot City on Earth. Megs and Prime battle it out one and one. At least until that moron Hot Rod interfered. Prime was fatally injured, Megs was just severely injured. While escaping aboard Astrotrain (another Decepticon, don't ask me how he got so huge, Transformer size differences get wacky) they are forced to jettison Megs and some other injured Decepticons into space. Well, they weren't forced to jettison Megs, it's just that Starscream had been trying to get rid of him for years and finally had his chance. Anyway, Megs and his fellow injured Decepticons get drawn to Unicron, who is an evil planet-sized Transformer (in the sense that he transforms, not in the actual Cybertronian sense). Unicron wants Megs to get the Autobot Matrix of Leadership for him, as it is the only force in the universe that can stop him. To this end, Unicron transforms the injured Decepticons (see the rest of this thread for details). Before going to get the Matrix from Ultra Magnus (who got the Matrix from the now-deceased Prime), Galvy stops by and kills Starscream. (Well, sort of, but that's an even longer story.) Galvy goes insane after being thrown out of Unicron by Rodimus Prime (that same idiot Hot Rod who got Optimus Prime killed). Shortly thereafter, Optimus Prime is brought back to life by the Quintessons (creator of the Transformers, but not of Unicron).

Any questions?

(If you think that's complicated, the comic continuity is even worse...)

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per the movie, Starscream usurps Megatron's place as leader of the Decepticons following the battle of Autobot City on Earth. In order for Astrotrain to make it back to Cybertron, the healthy Decepticons jetison the near-dead Decepticons. This includes Megatron.

Unicron them comes across Megatron and the other near-dead Decepticons. In exchange for their undying obedience to him and for them to destroy the Matrix of Leadership, Unicron gives the robots near identities and bodies. Megatron becomes Galvatron.

Now, if you really wanted to turn this into a Defiant-length type thread, let's talk about the following:
  • how Astrotrain can be large enough to carry all the Decepticons when in robot mode he's an average size.
  • the scaling problems between Cybertron and Unicron.
  • how the Constructicons can form Devastator inside Astrotrain.
  • how Soundwave can fit all those damn tapes inside him at once (Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, Ratbat, and Laserbeak).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Damn. Beat by six minutes.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in fairness, Astrotrain's space-shuttle and train forms are mostly empty space on the inside. So he could change size between those and his robot form. But it's still stretching it to fit so many others inside him. Especially Devastator.

And Unicron didn't "come across" the spaced Decepticons. As Krenim said, he drew them to himself.

Unicron: "I have summoned you here for a purpose."
Megatron: "No-one summons Megatron!"
Unicron: "Then it pleases me to be the first."

Or something like that.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the Transformers somehow added mass or lost it when transforming and in Astrotrain and Omega Supreme's case, are larger on the inside when in vehicle forms (Gallifreian technology downloaded from Kazaa!).
Megatron in particular loses most of his mass when transforming into that silly Ruger.

Something else about the movie is that many G1 transformers die.
Starscream has one of animation's best death scenes.
Spike yells "Ohhhhh shit!" about a decade before Data gets laughs from the same line.

Quintisons are a cool idea (although not the crazy ones from the movie) and explain how Cybertron and transformers were created.
They appear partly organic too.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not forget the nifty soundtrack that can get into your head never leave.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hey hey.

Astrotrain needed to "decrease weight" in space.

Okay, chief.

I don't understand.

What good are transformers that turn into trains?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Okay, I just rewatched The Transformers: the Movie (yeah, I know; shut up). During the transformation, the jets' colors can't be seen, but, just before, they're all seen floating in this order: Kickback, Shrapnel, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Bombshell. Presumably, the jets can be identified during the transformation according to which Insecticons they're nearest. So, when Kickback and Shrapnel turn into Sweeps, it's Thundercracker who becomes Scourge. And Bombshell and Skywarp turn into the two Cycloni (Bombshell was in front, so I guess that's why he's assumed to be the "real" Cyclonus, while Skywarp is "his armada").

Of course, in the very next scene (Starscream's coronation/disintegration), Thundercracker, Skywarp, Bombshell, and Kickback are all clearly visible. And it doesn't help that Kickback got his head smashed even earlier in the film.

Anyway, this was pretty much just confirmation of what was already said.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps