Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Episode II (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Episode II
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, uh, it died while the first film was in pre-production, then?
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
The magic of Star Wars died at about the same time Lucas decided to switch priorities from people to special effects.

Many actors have noted that as a director Lucas has never been very strong (or really tried) at getting emotions out of actors. Maybe he's just trying to play to his strengths.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He Directed and wrote ANH - and then got others to direct the rest and co-write (with him) the rest. Why didn't he do that this time around? Especially after the 'backlash' of Ep 1.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The thing that brings the movie down - WAY too much CGI."

I liked most of the CGI. The cloner-planet had a nice sterile,
art noveau style to it, and the final battlescenes were bombastic.

I agree with too much CGI making scenes dull because there's no challenge to it.
That's what I hated the most with the two Potter-movies, those annoying, flashy broom-tournaments.

This is one of the things I liked about LOTR, sure they had lots of CGI, but they used a whole plethora of filmtricks as well, from huge detailed sets to them "bigatures". Classy!

I also felt robbed of Anakin's finest doublesaber-hour, the trailer had me hoping he'd at least
knock Dooku to the floor once, in a saturated midichlorian rage (since it's said to be so damn high), THEN make a blunder and get maimed.

As for Christopher Lee and his lines, I always say, like with Schwarzenegger, he's as good as the current director makes him.

I'll buy the DVD anyhow, looking forward to it.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for Christopher Lee and his lines, I always say, like with Schwarzenegger, he's as good as the current director makes him."

Well, wouldn't the lines fall in the writer's domain.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The writer just writes the lines. The director is the one who gets just the right cadence and tone and emotion out of those lines from the way they direct the actors' performances.

The best stuff I've ever seen is where a writer who knows and loves the arena in which s/he's writing writes dialogue for actors who know and love their characters and get directed by directors who know how to get stellar material from their actors, usually by trusting them to know their characters and just concentrating on lighting and angles and whatnot.

In that context, the best Star Wars I've seen was Episode V. Irvin Kirschner is a wonderful director, the actors had grown quite fond of their characters by then, and George had the help of Larry Kasdan, who is quite a durn good screenwriter in my opinion.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for Christopher Lee and his lines, I always say, like with Schwarzenegger, he's as good as the current director makes him.
I'd say that holds true for all the actors in this movie and the last one too. Liam Neeson is an excellent actor but his performance in Ep. I was dry and hollow.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Juan:
[QUOTE] Liam Neeson is an excellent actor but his performance in Ep. I was dry and hollow.

Like his chest cavity after the lightsaber duel?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The best stuff I've ever seen is where a writer who knows and loves the arena in which s/he's writing writes dialogue for actors who know and love their characters and get directed by directors who know how to get stellar material from their actors, usually by trusting them to know their characters and just concentrating on lighting and angles and whatnot.
I guess we can look forward to Star Trek X then right?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Free ThoughtCrime America:

The worst effects are on the capital world. The background has so little realistic depth that it looks like a matte painting.

Yes. So that's much worse than the alternative of, er, a matte painting.

quote:
Andrew writes:
I'm sure lucus changed things between the Ep 1 movie and the DVD/tv release. I'm POSITIVE they got rid of that annoying "Yippee!!" and "Pleeeeasee" from Anakin.

The fact that there are two extra scenes in it is probably a bigger clue that it's been changed.

quote:
The crappiest light-sabre duel in SW history - that includes luke and that little practice droid.

I did try thinking up a witty response to this, but failed. So I'll simply say this. What?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yoda, Annakin, Obi Wan v Dooku. Wasn't THAT great. Ep I ending was WAY better. Yoda looked like frelling Sonic the Hedgehog.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you expect from a man a fourth of your mass and N times the force power??? Who've been practicing for 700 years?

If any of you have played "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight", where you face a Dark Jedi named Pic who is of Yoda's race, you'd see they've intended for years for these geezers to have extreme reflex and speed.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm.... Dark Yoda, you say? That would be a cool game, methinks... Install it at work, I shall...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, Pic and his big brother Gorc is a handful, when Pic does his mind trick on you, so he disappears from your vision, you'll develop a healthy paranoia to an assful of saber.

Here are some custom Model jobs I found, very accurate to the game, of Gorc and Pic.

-

-

Gorc is fatter in the game, but it's a nice model anyhow.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coooooolll....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps