Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Episode II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Episode II
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you guys know, whoever is uninformed that Episode II comes to DVD and VHS in November somewhere around the 19th. Just a friendly reminder.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm.. i've had it on CD since two days before it came out in theatres

what features are on the non-bootleg?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not wait two days and watch it in a really nice sound system. Those Jango Fett 'depth charges' wouldn't have scared this shit out of you when the first one went off - when you are watching it at home. The sound came from behind you and to the left - I remember that... and it sort of 'emerged' and then BOOM!. Probably the best bit of AotC.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did wait
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had it on VCD about a week before it was released. I waited to see it in the theater as well.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:

what features are on the non-bootleg?

The feature of it not having shite a lousy picture and shite sound?

I heard it's going to be similar to the episode 1 DVD. Except with a much, much, much better film attached. Woo.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/starwarsepisode2.html
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me, but the magic of Star Wars is dead.

I actually liked this movie when it was out in theatres; I even went and saw it twice.

But watching it in the comfort of my home has really destroyed this movie.

The digital photography is perhaps what did it. At the theatre I was just hyped to be at a new Star Wars movie, willing to overlook many things...but now, when I can sit there with my mouth closed and watch it with a clear mind, I'm seeing some really crappy FX stuff.

The digital effects look horribly fake in many areas. Blue screen effects do not work unless the background is outer space (the best part of the movie effects wise is the asteroid chase scene)

The worst effects are on the capital world. The background has so little realistic depth that it looks like a matte painting.

This would be acceptable if the story itself were superior, but it's clearly not.

I hate CGI. I don't hate digital photography, but one needs to understand that digital effects will fall flat if used too extensively in a digital frame.

Anyway.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just was watching Ep II in an AV store which had a big digital screen and surround sound. I came in at the chase in the ship of Dooku.

So I got basically the end.

It reaffirmed how CRAP that movie is. It's worse than Episode 1. At least episode 1 had character building.

Oversaturation of effects. It's so obvious when Padme tells that storm trooper to go get ships that CGI-ness of him.

The crappiest light-sabre duel in SW history - that includes luke and that little practice droid. [Smile]

Yoda is NOT Sonic the Hedgehog. I'll say it again - they sped him up etc. etc. so your eye wouldn't be able to linger on the CGI'ness of Yoda.

I remember them saying they had to add normal effects to Yoda... i.e. stuff that would have appeared if he were still a physical puppet like the 'bobbing' of his ears. OMG That was REALLY fake. (This is when he's talking/sitting still - not fighting!!)

Did anyone notice (or is there a non-violence option) that the slicing off of Anakin's arm looked VERY cut. Infact I think it was cut! (the film - not his arm - well yes his arm was but... you know what I mean).

Even the 'force electricity' was FAKE as - in ROTJ it looked really awesome - and looked like it was coming from the emperor's fingers... here you could see the movement of Dooku's hands and the 'electricity' not moving with it.

The ending was so shite - i.e. the whole wrap up. And it was most definately a different angel/cut in the scene when Bail Antilles, that Rodian, Palpatine etc. are on the balcony. In the movie Jimmy Smits 'punches' the wall in a much closer view and I think from the side. To add emphasis. During my watching of the DVD it was from the front and you could see everyone.

I'm sure lucus changed things between the Ep 1 movie and the DVD/tv release. I'm POSITIVE they got rid of that annoying "Yippee!!" and "Pleeeeasee" from Anakin.

How badly can Hayden Christiaansen NOT act!?!

And one of the corniest lines of the movie.

"It is clear this battle can't be decided with our knowledge of the forcee, that mean we must decide it with sabres". UGH.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the DVD and I'll second alot of what you're saying. There were a couple of pretty corny lines such as the banter between Dooku and ObiWan and Dooku and Yoda that you just mentioned. Whenever I listen to it, I think of a badly dubbed Ninja vs. Samurai movie and the cheesy dialog that goes with it.

The only CGI that really bothers me is the Anakin action scenes where he's riding the big cow and again when he's doing various things in the arena. It kind of looks like a Poser figure.

Now... I can understand using CGI for the troopers in the background. But why would you not use real people for the close ups? I mean come on! Final Fantasy could get away with it because every bit of it was digital. But why would you not use real people? That said... most of the Trooper work didn't bother me too awfully bad. It's just the knowledge that there were no real people used that kind of irritates me.

The saber duel was dwarfed by the kick ass fight scene in Episode 1, IMHO. There was a cool but in there where Anakin goes nuts with two sabers... but it didn't last nearly long enough. He's the Chosen One for goodness sake... He should have at least given Dooku a run for his money.

Anyway... I watched the cut scenes, too. Most of them were rightfully dropped, but there are a couple that probably should've stayed.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I just watched the DVD and I'll second alot of what you're saying. (snip)

Now... I can understand using CGI for the troopers in the background. But why would you not use real people for the close ups? I mean come on! Final Fantasy could get away with it because every bit of it was digital. But why would you not use real people? That said... most of the Trooper work didn't bother me too awfully bad. It's just the knowledge that there were no real people used that kind of irritates me.

The saber duel was dwarfed by the kick ass fight scene in Episode 1, IMHO. There was a cool but in there where Anakin goes nuts with two sabers... but it didn't last nearly long enough. He's the Chosen One for goodness sake... He should have at least given Dooku a run for his money.

(snip)

Ep1's sabre duel was the best - full stop!

Anakin didn't really go crazy... or not enough - or not long enough - quite right. I did like the only light being the light-sabres. You never have the light from the blades reflecting on anything. Like Vader's shiny suit [Smile]

And yeah - why couldn't they use real people for the up-close storm troopers!?! Especially that bit with Padme on the sand dune talking to the clone who she told to get more ships. Her eye-sight wasn't on cue - and it really fake.

Can you explain the wierd edit with no real lobbing off of Anakin's arm? It sort of looked like it was censored!

The thing that brings the movie down - WAY too much CGI. It was like a computer game! And I think the key point in this is having CGI characters when there could have easily been real human actors. (I.e. close-up talking)

Andrew

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At least episode 1 had character building.
Impossible, as it had no characters.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well, yeah - but it had character... establishing?? At least a little something that dealt with... stuff like a little boy leaving his mother. And a Queen would would stand by her people. That was about it.

--------------------

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I listened to the introductions to the deleted scenes, I noted the emphasis the makers of the film had on getting from one point to another and how scenes interrupted this flow. (A number of these scenes I feel would have helped the story line.) This is by the book film making. And this is why the story failed for me. Whatever energy there is in the film, the by-the-book film making has beaten into pulp.

I am not anticipating the third installment in this trilogy.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The magic of Star Wars died at about the same time Lucas decided to switch priorities from people to special effects.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps