Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Back to the Fandom (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Back to the Fandom
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having recently purchased Jackill's Reference Manual Vol. II and Starship Design on eBay (they *should* be on their way to me), I was wondering if there was any structure or method in the madness that is fandom.

First of all, Jackill's manuals seem to be quite rare, because neither Amazon, New Eye or Intergalactic sell them, and the only one on eBay ATM is already at 20+ euros. Should I really be prepared to pay big bucks for the other two volumes? And what about Jackill's datasheets you can buy directly from his site? Are those anything more than 5-views?

The same goes for Guenthers Ships of the Star Fleet series. Amazon lists it but has no used versions of it ATM and New Eye is sold out. I've never seen them on eBay either. So, apparently, quite rare. IIRC, this book introduces many of the Movie-era designs like the Belknap.

And now for an list of books I don't have (yet). I'm looking for descriptions/reviews for these books.

USS Enterprise Officer's Manual (+ Revised)
I only know that the original is a spiral-back fan publication. The revised edition apparently was updated to comply with Shane's Guide to the Enterprise.

Starfleet Line Officer Requirements
This book is by David Schmidt (fka Treknophile). That's all I know.

Starfleet Dynamics
See above. Is it true this book is basically the same as above, but rewritten?

The Federation Reference Series 1-6
Some not very impressive looking datasheets I saw on New Eye's site. Worth anything?

Starfleet Uniform Recognition Manual
Almost won this on eBay. Is this worth getting for anything more than 2 dollars?

And then onto the RPGs (SFB, FASA, and uhm.. LUG or something?). I'm not really interested in the game of course, only in the starship designs. Especially the whole Larson/Loknar and Orion Wanderer/Lotus stuff. But I have no idea how these were published, and how rare they are today.

Any big names I've forgotten? I have already got the Spaceflight Chronology, FJ's Manual and Blueprints, the TMP Blueprints, Mandell's Maps (new and old), Shane Johnson's Worlds o/t Federation and Scotty's Guide. And the usual Pocket Books 'official' stuff. Obviously.

[ August 18, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackill's Data sheets are alright. I only have one: The Danube Class. IIRC, there wasn't *alot* more than the 5-views. 5 views of the whole ship. 5 views of the ship without the central swappable modules. Silhouettes of the ship side and fore with and without the roll bar pod. Kind of alot fo filler stuff. There was some data info on the ship and the pods too, I remember. I can't speak for the rest of the sheets, cause I never opened them. But they were all black ink on colored paper. This was close to the beginning of DS9, and info on the Danube was still rare, so at the time, the $7 seemed worth it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Uniform Recognition Guide" by Shane Johnson is not worth very much. I still regret I paid ten Euro for the book. The illustrations in FJ's TM are better, the TWOK era uniforms are also in Shane's Guide to Enterprise and the Klingon uniform was receicled in the Fact Files.

SotSF I and II is very fine I think, I like the presentation and the usage of dropped designs for canon vessels. A bit on the low side is the fact that Star Fleet has too many Heavy Cruisers if one accept the ship list.

As for some FASA and LUG source books, I have recently bought for few money "The Federation" and "Planets of the UFP" -- very interesting references if one likes Star Trek cartography. Only "Way of D'era" is missing to become happy, but I don't intend to pay more than 20 Euro for the book, because I don't know if it is worth the money.

Ah: one last: "USS Khai Tam Technical Manual" completely low standard, fortunately I got it for just one euro...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know where any of these reference books can be purchased and shipped internationally? I have never seen any of these on eBay.co.uk.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can advise is to select the option to display worldwide items when searching on ebay.co.uk. But its hard enough finding US sellers that will ship to Canada, let alone overseas. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. The obnoxious twats. With Paypal, it's just as easy to do, and it's not like it costs them anything more.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one will ship to the pit of scum and villiany that is....Canada.

No one.

I'm amazed that you cant find all that stuff online by now: I've seen almost all the Trek Magazine illustrations online nad most of the FJ stuff as well.
I suppose you could get them, scan everything and put it online so the rest of the world would benifit...

As horribly illeagal as that would be.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scanning someone's ill-begotten gains at the expense of a legally owned intellectual property is OK.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing is illegal as long as it serves my needs or wants.

Nothing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE NERDS WITH THEIR NERD DRAWING BOOKS
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The same goes for Guenthers Ships of the Star Fleet series. Amazon lists it but has no used versions of it ATM and New Eye is sold out. I've never seen them on eBay either. So, apparently, quite rare. IIRC, this book introduces many of the Movie-era designs like the Belknap.

The first volume is rare. I got it second hand. the second volume is on Amazon.co.uk but it's �4.98 for delivery to western Europe. The second volume is actually rather better IMO. Partly due to the better quality of the presentation (colour coded deck/systems plans).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell is this?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A book entitled 'Planets of the UFP'?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
What the hell is this?

That is the Last Unicorn Games sourcebook, similar to FASA's "The Federation", contains a guide to 23 different Federation worlds, quite entertaining.

But the price is too high, eBay.de has it for 1,00 start price, usually ends around 4 euro (though the seller doesn't sell to Netherlands as it seems)

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The "Uniform Recognition Guide" by Shane Johnson is not worth very much.
Yet it sounds interesting. Could you perhaps post a table of content please?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps