Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Back to the Fandom (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Back to the Fandom
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
The "Uniform Recognition Guide" by Shane Johnson is not worth very much.
Yet it sounds interesting. Could you perhaps post a table of content please?
I will not encourage you to buy this thing, you will be disappointet! I warn you, the table of contents sounds more interesting than it really is!

ToC:
* Federation Colour Codes [7]
* Insignia and Rank [9]
** Uniform Insignia (obsolete)
** Rank Stripes (obsolete)
** Historical Data
** Insignia Pins
** Rank Pins
** Service Bars
** Belt Buckles
** Shoulder Patch
** Shoulder Strap
* Uniforms (obsolete) [25]
** Duty uniform (male)
** -"- (female)
** command wraparound (type 1)
** -"- (type 2)
** medical tunic
** dress uniform (male)
** -"- (female)
** anti-exposure suit
** environmental suit
* Uniforms (current) [45]
** historical data
** Duty uniform w/pants (unisex)
** -"- w/skirt (female)
** field west
** field jacket
** off-duty jacket
** diplomatic dress uniform
** CMO's dutysuit
** cadet jumpsuit
** radsuit
* Intelligence Report [67]
** historical data
** klingon warlord
** klingon/human fusion
** spacesuit (SS Botany Bay)

for each uniform there is a double page, one shows the front view, the other side and back view. For the TOS uniforms there is a made up "female dress uniform", the TWOK uniforms (the TMP ones are ignored) shows a never seen "diplomatic dress uniform".

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
The same goes for Guenthers Ships of the Star Fleet series. Amazon lists it but has no used versions of it ATM and New Eye is sold out. I've never seen them on eBay either. So, apparently, quite rare. IIRC, this book introduces many of the Movie-era designs like the Belknap.

The first volume is rare. I got it second hand. the second volume is on Amazon.co.uk but it's �4.98 for delivery to western Europe. The second volume is actually rather better IMO. Partly due to the better quality of the presentation (colour coded deck/systems plans).
I took a risk and have just bought this from your link. Could you please give a reasonably detailed clue as to the contents?
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aneurysm:
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
The same goes for Guenthers Ships of the Star Fleet series. Amazon lists it but has no used versions of it ATM and New Eye is sold out. I've never seen them on eBay either. So, apparently, quite rare. IIRC, this book introduces many of the Movie-era designs like the Belknap.

The first volume is rare. I got it second hand. the second volume is on Amazon.co.uk but it's �4.98 for delivery to western Europe. The second volume is actually rather better IMO. Partly due to the better quality of the presentation (colour coded deck/systems plans).
I took a risk and have just bought this from your link. Could you please give a reasonably detailed clue as to the contents?
The second volume is about the Perimeter Action Ships (three types). You can understand them as some sort of fast attack crafts. Small, fast... they don't operate under the normal Starfleet umbrella, but a special division and are usually employed near the far borders.

Interesting reading!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also bought it. If Starship Design (also by Guenther, but actually a very thin magazine-style publication) is any measure, than it should be OK. And the Akyazi/Akula/A* classes are surprisingly good looking.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sort of follows the NX/Akira design lineage, but we won't go into that.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sure; three views of the Akyazi/Arbiter/Akula class perimeter action vessels, including additional views of varients within each class. There are MSD-style cutaways of each class, as well as deck plans for the Akula class. A history of the design, development and service to 2290 of each class is also in there.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Such fast and detailed responses! Thanks! Looking forward to receiving my copy now. I was kind of worried that it would be something like the Decipher RPG Starships book - A big steaming pile of wank with the worst images ever seen in a Star Trek book.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I also just managed to buy SotSF 1 from eBay, for $20. And I've bought Dynamics and the Heavy Cruiser Evolution Chart from Intergalactic.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I just recieved four new fandom books in the mail (there goes the day!). SotSF1, SF Dynamics, the Evo Chart and a 25th Anniversary magazine as an extra.

Anyway, I have one big question about the Dynamics.. Although the disclaimer says any copyright infringements are unintentional, some of the ship designs are very similar to Guenther's ships. The Conquest and Dahlgren are only slightly different from the Ascension and Belknap, but the Constant is exactly the same as the Menagha!

Why didn't they both use the same names? I really can't believe they came up with the same designs independently, so either someone was copying the other, or the cooperated in some strange way... what gives?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt anyone could even copyright designs based on Star Trek ships. It's all Paramount's copyright. He's probably referring to infringements on Paramount's copyright. Which is a lie. All infringements are incredibly intentional. It's just that nobody cares.
aneurysm
Member # 906

I received my SotSF volume 2 yesterday and its a good, interesting read.

Was volume 2 the last or was there more books afterwards?

Also what does volume 1 consist of?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Volume 2 was the last, I think. Volume one is cruisers and frigates. Which basically means the variations on the Constitution design (Constitution, Bonhomme Richard, Achenar, Constitution (II), Enterprise, Tikopai, Enterprise (II), a couple of others I can't remember) and varients on the Miranda (Avenger, Endurance, Coventry, etc.) as well as the Belknap strike cruisers.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Kobi
Member # 1360

I forgot by whom and when, but I was told that volume three was going to be about destroyer and scouts. That volume was never published though

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

A Volume Three is mentioned in the Preface of Volume Two. Although it's mentioned in an 'in-universe' way, as if it was a Starfleet publication. So it might not even have been anything seriously planned.

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Jackill's SOTF Volume 3 has been out for several years.
I bought it here in Columbus seven years ago and it's very entertaining. I haven't got Vol. 1 or 2 but I imagine they are somewhat similar in design.

Just found this interesting link:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/JAC.html

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps